Question Octane seating general chat

Quick question guys. I have received delivery of two in the row of Curve HR and I noticed today when testing them some undesirable behavior.

When I sit in any of them and use the motorized recline function to recline to lets say 75%. After a while I want to slightly change position (without adjusting through buttons) so I would kind of try to rise my bottom to go higher or lower in the seat. The moment I rise my bottom and shift the weight etc. the bottom support part which also is connected to leg support would fully unfold flat to fully reclined position. The backrest will stay where it is but the whole bottom plate will fully unfold.

It looks like the mechanism controlling anything other then backrest (and headrest) does not have any mechanical break that would prevent it from being fully unfolded by the body weight. It will not fold under body weight but it will fully unfold to fully reclined.

Is it the same for Azure and Flex owners? It poses a bit of a problem for me.

I forgot about this thread and did not post my experiences with the order process as it was a bit of a saga but I see that many before me were also frustrated with the lack of flexibility on Octane side with orders :). They are getting better probably but it is very dependent to whom you mange to speak to (ideally I wanted 3 seat Curve with loveseat but it was not possible ATM).

I really like and prefer the looks of both Flex and Azure but after doing a bit of research I discovered that Curve is one of the softest (2nd softest) in the HR range while Flex are the firmest in HR range (and Azure apparently the firmest of all the seats sold by Octane no mater US or EU side of the pond). Because of that I went with Curve choosing function over form as in my case the seats will be in totally blacked out room so the looks does not matter as much as comfort (and I did not want to take any risks).

I was kind of worried slightly that Curve might be too soft but having sat in them already I know they are not too soft. If anything I would describe them as on the softer side of firm which is still a bit firm for my liking but I would expect them to loosen up a bit with time to be just perfect for my needs.

Saying this I understand now what French distributor had in mind when he said to me that all Octane seats are comfortable. The difference is like seating in comparable models of Audi vs BMW vs Merc (I do not know why he used only German brands :D, especially being French). There are differences but all of them are of high quality and comfort. So Curve seats being still on the firm side (and being 2nd softest in HR range) making probably all models firm to a different degree so very comparable in the end.

If I would be ordering more in the future I will order Flex (or Azure as lumbar support could be helpful) for comparison and diversity.

Anyway in case future prospective buyers would find it helpful. My research results from the US forum:

I spoke to Octane on the chat and I think Ian said he likes and thinks the most comfortable chairs in the range are Flex, same thing said to me French distributor (independently) but somehow users have different opinions. Some chat staff would say there is no difference between them at all... The below is the summary from this and the other thread:

Octane Seating?
My seats were firm at first.they have relaxed a bit but still firm. My wife and I use the chairs 5 days a week 2 hours a day on average. They don’t seem to be showing any signs of wear yet.They fit me well I’m 6’0 ~240 lbs. l don’t feel like the chairs need to be bigger.I don’t use the lights, but I do enjoy the power head rest.

Octane Dream HR Series
I sat in the Flex HR at a place in Atlanta and they weren't quite cushy enough?

Octane Dream HR Series
I sat in the Flex HR up in Atlanta. I liked it but it was not cushy enough for me. I may find a way up to Chicago to try out the HT Design seats. Right now I am looking at the Belmont as I have some space constraints.

Octane Dream HR Series
Got my Flash HR seats today. They are definitely more comfortable than the Flex HR I tried at my local dealer. I would say they are as comfortable as the Nitro seats.

Octane Dream HR Series
They are comfortable enough to watch a long 3 hours movie

Octane Dream HR Series
1. I find them comfortable but wife doesn't. I feel they offer adequate support whereas my wife finds them bit firm. I am sure they will soften up after extended use but we only use our HT 1-2/week so our usage is not excessive.

I am sorry for not naming the authors and giving the due credit but I have complied the list for my own use and did not think I will be posting it. Never the less thank you fellow forum members for all those opinions :)

Those are the 85% of all of the opinions in this thread about any model. So as you see it is mostly people having some reservations towards Flex.

Also there was this very useful questions asked about how would users rate from 0 - 10 comfort (firmness) of their seats. Unfortunately the idea did not get much traction but those are the resoults:

I believe Flex is considered to be firmer then Dream (it is the firmest from HR range):

FirmnessOpinion 1Opinion 2
Curve7-86-7
Dream2-33

If I would be to answer the question from the quoted text and in relation to the table at the bottom (on day two of the ownership) I would give Curve 6-7 on the firm to soft scale.

Last edited:
Curve HR in the flesh:

20200929_202405.jpg

Room is work in progress ;)

My table add-on is pretty flat. It is not perfect but 98%. I have not tested yet if it fits into the armrest pocket (what a great idea).

Sebna, just to add to that, when speaking to the US site via chat the guy I spoke to said the Azure was slightly firmer than the Flex. Would be interesting to hear if the guy on this forum who has both the flex and azure agrees or not, particularly after some use and bedding in.

@sebna
I get what you mean about being reclined for a while then moving your bottom up to a higher position I also tend to do that with my Flex HR seats
as you say when doing that and moving your weight closer to the seatback is the reason the footrest then goes flat
I usually have the empty seats at the left and right of me fully reclined and because there is no one sitting on them the footrests on those seats do not go flat

what isn't mentioned on your seat comparisons is the seat width between the armrests on the different models I believe the flex are wider than the Azure this can make a difference for those who are slightly overweight
over the years I have had 4 different seating options in my dedicated room that didn't quite hit the spot loosing money every time I sold them so I wish I had bought these years ago

@sebna
I get what you mean about being reclined for a while then moving your bottom up to a higher position I also tend to do that with my Flex HR seats
as you say when doing that and moving your weight closer to the seatback is the reason the footrest then goes flat
I usually have the empty seats at the left and right of me fully reclined and because there is no one sitting on them the footrests on those seats do not go flat

what isn't mentioned on your seat comparisons is the seat width between the armrests on the different models I believe the flex are wider than the Azure this can make a difference for those who are slightly overweight
over the years I have had 4 different seating options in my dedicated room that didn't quite hit the spot loosing money every time I sold them so I wish I had bought these years ago

Good to know that Flex is also doing it.

Good point about the width. I never checked those parameters.

Sebna, just to add to that, when speaking to the US site via chat the guy I spoke to said the Azure was slightly firmer than the Flex. Would be interesting to hear if the guy on this forum who has both the flex and azure agrees or not, particularly after some use and bedding in.

Yes. That is my understanding that Azure is in fact very close on firmness scale to Flex being only slightly firmer then Flex. As Azure is the firmest in their offering that makes Flex (which is the firmest in HR range) also one of the firmest. This information plus opinions I have found online was the reason why I decided in favor of Curve but now that I have sat in one I understand that they all must be very comparable as Curve is quite firm to begin with.

Take a look at visual comparison below. I think it can be seen how padding thickness changes between models (both backrest / headrest and footrest):

Curve:

Screenshot_2020-09-14 Curve HR Motorized Headrest Power Recline - Octane Seating.png

Flash:

Screenshot_2020-09-14 Flash HR Power Headrest Arm Storage Lights - Octane Seating.png

Flex:

Screenshot_2020-09-14 Flex HR Power Headrest Diamond Stitch USB - Octane Seating.png

Azure:

Screenshot_2020-09-14 Azure LHR Power Lumbar Power Headrest Power Recline LED Lighting - Octan...png

Another difference is that In Flex you sit a bit higher (relatively to the floor) in compare to Curve which causes users to have problems using buttons as they remain at the same height as for Curve but as you seat higher you fingers are getting crushed when you recline (I do not know if this is true Flex users?). That would not be a reason for me not go for Flex but it is just a "feature" worth mentioning.

Another piece of information is that chat staff recommends Flex for taller people. It was never explained to me why (by chat staff) but looking at the pictures it might be due to design of the headrest which kind of extends not only inwards to support head but also upwards (so beyond the backrest frame making it effectively slightly longer) which by visually looking at the pictures and video of Azure on Octane website does not seem to be the case with Azure.

Anyway if the headrest operation is the reason, both Curve and Flash operate the same way. I am 6.1 and Curve seems to be hitting all the right spots for supporting my head when reclined (the biggest concern here is that when reclined the headrest would be only reaching to support ones neck rather then head in case of taller people).

Right. I think that is all for now folks :D. I think I covered all my findings ;)

Last edited:
@sebna
I think one of the most important things to look for is how the headrest fits the nape of the neck
that is the reason i find my self having to shimmy up the seat
the HR supports the back of my head, but it puts strain on my neck so I have to move position until the curve of the HR fits the nape of my neck

@sebna
I think one of the most important things to look for is how the headrest fits the nape of the neck
that is the reason i find my self having to shimmy up the seat
the HR supports the back of my head, but it puts strain on my neck so I have to move position until the curve of the HR fits the nape of my neck

That is interesting and something I did not account for as I never used seat like this before. I will see what works for me when I start using it on regular basis.

My wife when she was looking at the photos before purchase pointed out that she does not like the idea that there is gap between the headrest and backrest so the spot where there is no support. She is shorter then me and she did not want her had to be resting in between :) or straining her neck. She did not complain when testing but I guess only real life use will tell what we really like and don't like about those seats.

She wanted Azure :). I did also but then I started reading and analyzing and ended up with Curve.

How useful you find the lumbar support on Azure?

That is interesting and something I did not account for as I never used seat like this before. I will see what works for me when I start using it on regular basis.

My wife when she was looking at the photos before purchase pointed out that she does not like the idea that there is gap between the headrest and backrest so the spot where there is no support. She is shorter then me and she did not want her had to be resting in between :) or straining her neck. She did not complain when testing but I guess only real life use will tell what we really like and don't like about those seats.

She wanted Azure :). I did also but then I started reading and analyzing and ended up with Curve.

How useful you find the lumbar support on Azure?
I don't have the Azure I have the Flex
because of the headrest/nape of neck issue that was the reason I asked if any Azure owners would post a pic of the Azure headrest when it is extended just to get an idea of the profile difference from Flex

Good to know that Flex is also doing it.

Good point about the width. I never checked those parameters.
My Azure also do this at first it annoyed me but then realised it acts like the function of the stressless recliners where if you push back on the back rest then the back and leg support go down at same time and its quite handy at times , so get comfy using the buttons then just manually adjust to taste , regards firmness of the Azure I find them very comfy probably 8/10 with 10 being too hard , the Azure as well as having lumber support which i wouldn't be without also has individual pocket springing in the seat the same way a quality bed does . the width of Azure seat is 60cm , I would have prefered this to be about 45cm

My Azure also do this at first it annoyed me but then realised it acts like the function of the stressless recliners where if you push back on the back rest then the back and leg support go down at same time and its quite handy at times , so get comfy using the buttons then just manually adjust to taste , regards firmness of the Azure I find them very comfy probably 8/10 with 10 being too hard , the Azure as well as having lumber support which i wouldn't be without also has individual pocket springing in the seat the same way a quality bed does . the width of Azure seat is 60cm , I would have prefered this to be about 45cm

So would I be right that you would give it 2-3 if we would flip the scale where 0 - is very firm / hard and 10 being cloud type of thing? (Just to be able to match it to the one I posted in the quoted text in my previous post)

FirmnessOpinion 1Opinion 2
Curve7-86-7 (sebna)
Dream2-33

I am slightly missing lumbar adjustment. I read one opinion that it does not fully retract and can be always felt in case somebody would like to use it on minimal setting and as lumbar support can be height dependent and Azure only extends and does not give control over up and down movement I went with safer option (from my perspective). But I think if I would be buying 2nd row I will try Azure next time round.

Last edited:
I don't have the Azure I have the Flex
because of the headrest/nape of neck issue that was the reason I asked if any Azure owners would post a pic of the Azure headrest when it is extended just to get an idea of the profile difference from Flex

If you want you take a look at the promo video in Azure section on Octane website. It shows how the extended headrest looks. I do not think there is a comparable photo as I would use it in my comparison.

EDIT: Other then Octane website seems to be down for me ATM. Same for you guys? Thank God I managed to buy my seats before they folded ;) ;)

Last edited:
Also did anybody tried their massage / heat options? I know I would get them if they would be available in EU :). Nothing better then a nap in a warm chair with a dull movie :D or even better with boring F1 race (it seems they come only in two flavours, extremely good and extremely boring). I am getting old :). Life is good.

If you want you take a look at the promo video in Azure section on Octane website. It shows how the extended headrest looks. I do not think there is a comparable photo as I would use it in my comparison.

EDIT: Other then Octane website seems to be down for me ATM. Same for you guys? Thank God I managed to buy my seats before they folded ;) ;)
website works for me
the video only shows the headrest extended
it doesn't show it extended with the seat reclined
compared to the Flex I would be inclined to prefer the narrower headrest so that your ears are more exposed and not blocked from rear surround speakers

website works for me
the video only shows the headrest extended
it doesn't show it extended with the seat reclined
compared to the Flex I would be inclined to prefer the narrower headrest so that your ears are more exposed and not blocked from rear surround speakers
Good point about headrest size.

The Flex seats also have the Gel infused memory foam, 1.8 high density foam core and individual pocket springing

The Flex seats also have the Gel infused memory foam, 1.8 high density foam core and individual pocket springing
As do curve. All of them do. At least in HR and LHR range.

Also did anybody tried their massage / heat options? I know I would get them if they would be available in EU :). Nothing better then a nap in a warm chair with a dull movie :D or even better with boring F1 race (it seems they come only in two flavours, extremely good and extremely boring). I am getting old :). Life is good.
You are spot on 2-3 id say a chesterfield would be like 0 = very hard and some of the lazy boys i tried in the process were like a 5 or 6 , from previous experience I opted for a firmer option for longevity and comfort , as previously stated I prefer the look of the Flex but the Azure won over all others inc lazy boy and vastly more expensive riser recliner options due to being the only one with lumber support which on all 3 of mine fully retracts and creates a nice little hollow , unfortunately there is no height adjustment on the lumber only in and out , i could see this being a problem for some as ive discovered its slightly different on each of my 3 chairs and one creates a pressure point too high up for my liking , a lumber adjustment however was essential to me and weighing up cost x quality x comfort x function and aesthetics led me to this conclusion .

My journey regards purchase of sed Azure was not an easy one due to requiring 3 single seats hence the reason i started the thread and its good to see that I and many other forum members have found it help full . something that is very seldom spoken about regards furniture purchases is the need to fit all these criteria into one package with emphasis on peoples health issues not ever really being discussed , I believe this is a vast over sight on furniture marketing specifically seating , here's an example I was selling posture sprung mattresses costing over £2500 thousand 25 years ago when your average joe paid £200 - £400 thinking they had bought a very expensive mattress !! yes indeed they did because they were garbage ... with hugely inflated prices , where as the market focusing on spinal, hip, shoulder injuries etc catered for a more discerning client who understood their mattress needed to do many jobs and last many years at the price , that is what I expect the Octane Azure seating will do .

Azure seats are very well built , provide posture springing to the seating area meaning better support and less sink over time , as you experience with foam builds , in my situation constant rotation means the seats could easily be expected to last over ten years same as a premium mattress will with rotation .

the head rest can all ways be adjusted to full comfort with plenty of padding regardless of the incline like wise the lumber but may require some manual adjustment its actually the leg support i find lacking and think it could well have benefited from some medical gel as used in wheel chairs motorcycle seats etc but pretty sure this could be retro fitted .

@Lesmor

Attachments

• 20201001_145228.jpg
    20201001_145228.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 20201001_145234.jpg
    20201001_145234.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 20201001_145253.jpg
    20201001_145253.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 20201001_145258.jpg
    20201001_145258.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 20201001_145404.jpg
    20201001_145404.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 20201001_145414.jpg
    20201001_145414.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 20201001_145439.jpg
    20201001_145439.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 241
Didn't know this it was Ian at Octane US who gave the information sorry I stand corrected

You are spot on 2-3 id say a chesterfield would be like 0 = very hard and some of the lazy boys i tried in the process were like a 5 or 6 , from previous experience I opted for a firmer option for longevity and comfort , as previously stated I prefer the look of the Flex but the Azure won over all others inc lazy boy and vastly more expensive riser recliner options due to being the only one with lumber support which on all 3 of mine fully retracts and creates a nice little hollow , unfortunately there is no height adjustment on the lumber only in and out , i could see this being a problem for some as ive discovered its slightly different on each of my 3 chairs and one creates a pressure point too high up for my liking , a lumber adjustment however was essential to me and weighing up cost x quality x comfort x function and aesthetics led me to this conclusion .

My journey regards purchase of sed Azure was not an easy one due to requiring 3 single seats hence the reason i started the thread and its good to see that I and many other forum members have found it help full . something that is very seldom spoken about regards furniture purchases is the need to fit all these criteria into one package with emphasis on peoples health issues not ever really being discussed , I believe this is a vast over sight on furniture marketing specifically seating , here's an example I was selling posture sprung mattresses costing over £2500 thousand 25 years ago when your average joe paid £200 - £400 thinking they had bought a very expensive mattress !! yes indeed they did because they were garbage ... with hugely inflated prices , where as the market focusing on spinal, hip, shoulder injuries etc catered for a more discerning client who understood their mattress needed to do many jobs and last many years at the price , that is what I expect the Octane Azure seating will do .

Azure seats are very well built , provide posture springing to the seating area meaning better support and less sink over time , as you experience with foam builds , in my situation constant rotation means the seats could easily be expected to last over ten years same as a premium mattress will with rotation .

the head rest can all ways be adjusted to full comfort with plenty of padding regardless of the incline like wise the lumber but may require some manual adjustment its actually the leg support i find lacking and think it could well have benefited from some medical gel as used in wheel chairs motorcycle seats etc but pretty sure this could be retro fitted .

@Lesmor

Looking at your photos I think the way the headrest operates in Azure might be the reason why they recommend Flex like headrest for taller people?

Ok I have rearranged the table a bit to allow for more opinions in the future and added recent opinions.

0 - firmest10 - cloud soft
FirmnessCurveDreamFlexAzureChesterfield
Opinion 17-82-35 (Lesmor)3 (Cyrusgsxr)0 (Cyrusgsxr)
Opinion 26-7 (sebna)3

@Lesmor - how would you rate on the above firmness scale your Flex experience so far? :D (don't be shy ;))

Cheers

Last edited:
@sebna
compared to the DFS sofa it replaced Flex are far softer
as I haven't sat on any other Octane seats it would be unfair to compare one to another so I will play safe and go for 5

@sebna
compared to the DFS sofa it replaced Flex are far softer
as I haven't sat on any other Octane seats it would be unfair to compare one to another so I will play safe and go for 5

Just to explain. It is not really in compare to other Octane seats but how your butt feels seating in it, on independent firmness scale ;). I have also sat only in one Octane (Curve) but I rate its firmness 6-7 in general firmness scale ;). I have update with "5" in the most recent table posting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom