1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ocean's 11... I enjoyed that!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Iain Shields, May 2, 2002.

1. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Was a bit surprised when this turned up early on my doorstep at the start of the week but (as always) happy that it did...

I didn't have a chance to see this at the cinema but ordered it on the faith of Soderbergh and such a high profile cast and I'm glad to say that they delivered...

Good film - never pretends to be anything other than a good slab of entertainment.

Good disc - decent picture, decent sound (pity no dts), decent extra's.

All in all, I was well entertained :) What did you lot think?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I saw it at the cinema (not knowing if I know the original - I just can't remember) but I didn't rate it that highly, just average.
    Good cast, yes, but else I couldn't get really excited about it and surely won't buy it on DVD.

Well, just my opinion - and watch out for my review in the Movie and TV section tomorrow, tonight I am going to see Spiderman!

3. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a big fan of the original and was not really looking forward to it incase they killed it, but I must admit I was really surprised.

I'm not a fan of 'pretty-boy' movies but the cast all were great and a couple of hours of entertainment followed. Not a 'great' film by any stretch but very enjoyabale and thats about as much as you can ask.

Definatly one for the collection. Ijust wish someone had thought about brining a boxset out with both versions.

If you havn't seen the original its well worth a watch. The ending is so much better then the new one.

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I have to admit i was a little underwhelmed by it too. After many recommendations and good reviews it turned out to be typical Hollywood.
    Cant fault the disk tho.

Guess I might take a look at the original.

5. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    havent seen the original , but i thought
    Bad english accent
    no need for julia roberts in my opinon
    didnt really like the dreamy sequence by the fountain. that scene could have been shortened or even removed.

Just my tuppence worth

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, the 'dreamy sequence' as you put it, is the most important, and best bit of the movie. It just showed that above all, the best thing about what they had just pulled off was the camaraderie experienced whilst doing it - more important than the money itslef. It should have ended at that point, except most people wouldn't have understood or been happy with it, so they close with a more 'traditional'; in the end he gets the girl - finale.

7. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Have to agree with redlum - the fountain bit was excellent and added to the 'coolness' of the film. Thought the film was very good and looking forward to the follow-up 'Oceans 12' where Julia Roberts is going to have a bigger part, hence the 12th member.

8. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Saw this at the cinema and thought Andy Garcia was superb. The film as a whole is (in my opinion) great fun and is a worthy addition to Soderbergh's CV.

I've just got the DVD through today from CD-Wow and can't wait to watch it again.

As for the Dick Van Dyke Cockney accent - does anyone else think it's deliberate? How dodgy was Terrance Stamp's accent in The Limey? (didn't stop that being a top film as well though!)

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't even remember the fountain scene!? What was it about?

10. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That was my first thought, Don Cheadle is a fine actor and i am pretty certain that if Soderburgh wanted a proper accent he would have got one. This film is all about him having fun after doing a couple of serious films ala Traffic

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I enjoyed it..not letting this out of my collection..:)

12. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Not having liked the original (very bad movie IMHO) I wasn't looking forward to seeing this, but I'm glad I did.

Looked and sounded great (again, pity no DTS!!!) and had a razor sharp script that kept you guessing right to the end.
    Great cast, but again why Julia Roberts in a part that any other two bit actress could have played. Guess they had an extra $10M sitting around to pay her :)