Ocean acidification from rising CO2

Stephen Wilde

Established Member
Reaction score
Corey and others have expressed concern about this so here is a useful link.

Basically the models do not take account of the fact that higher environmental CO2 encourages photosynthesising sea life which produces a neutralising effect on any increase in acidity.

The models are apparently based on a 'lifeless' scenario which is bound to be inaccurate in the real world.

http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO2ScienceB2C/articles/V10/N34/EDIT.jsp

Stephan your going to confuse people regarding the acidification. your link is regarding models, when what I been expressing is in regard to actual readings collected over the years. Coral reefs respond to acidification and is "one" of the main reasons for coral dieing off. pollution is the other. along with temp changes. I have posted plenty of links regarding the actual chemical process that happens when co2 is absorbed by the ocean.

Sure algae thrives on co2 but then you have the algae bloom and die off that undoes any or most of the absorption.

There is no way to compare peas to carrots so to speak. I have never intentionally linked to models regarding acidification. I tried to stick to the actual chemistry and explanation based on the actual measurements.

Sure algea thrives on Co2 but there is a limiting factor you left out, that is the nutrients in the water. You can have huge amount of co2 but the algea will never exceed the nutrients in the water.

Algea bloom and die off is the proof of this fact.

I believe algae bloom and die off is temporary, local and seasonal.

You confirm that algae and other marine organisms thrive on CO2 so taking the planet as a whole the extra biological activity goes some way towards neutralising acidification.

Have you any links I can look at to see what increased acidification there has been ? It needs to be evidence of such acidification over wide areas rather than just local phenomena.

Of course I accept the issues of pollution. temperature changes and bad fishing practices. It is just CO2 effects which are relevant here.

I believe algae bloom and die off is temporary, local and seasonal.

You confirm that algae and other marine organisms thrive on CO2 so taking the planet as a whole the extra biological activity goes some way towards neutralising acidification.

Have you any links I can look at to see what increased acidification there has been ? It needs to be evidence of such acidification over wide areas rather than just local phenomena.

Of course I accept the issues of pollution. temperature changes and bad fishing practices. It is just CO2 effects which are relevant here.

I have posted links regarding this information in other threads. Why have you started a completely new thread rather than continuing with in those threads?. it has become too difficult with my time contstraint to track those threads to post the corresponding links in this new thread.

The only reason I can think for this is that I spend only a few hours a week here now thus I do not have the time to track this info down only to make duplicate links from other threads here. You know this as well and I'd hope that your not taking advantage of this fact in order to sway other new members who don't want to waste time reading over old threads.

I have also came out in the open as to why I do not spend as much time here. due to the environmental issues regarding Internet use.

In the time frame that I am actually on I do not have enough time to track old threads with specific links and respond to new threads as well.

I have already provided the links in which you are requesting. they are in the other links in which you refer too when starting this specific thread.

I have the same problem with old threads as you do. We both have other things to do with our lives.

I have noticed that subjects repeat over time and contributors come and go so regulars have to adapt to that.

There should be no objection to linking to new reports or findings as they arise whether they be for or against any particular viewpoint.

The links are there in old threads I don't have time to track them or new info.

I would actually have to read the new info and I just don't have the allotted time to do so. I am not going to blindly link to a site without knowing the context.
till next week.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom