Occy connect predictions - Q2P?

So what did I miss?

My Mum chose the WORST time to visit me on my birthday!!! 50 years old today. 😲😭😲

Any new games mentioned? The Quest Pro? Anything interesting at all or was it just Metaverse stuff?
I only saw the first 30 mins. You've seen Free Guy? It was basically Mr. Zuck being the bad guy from that, selling the film's 'game' to the masses - except you work and chat, and go the gym in addition to gaming - sorta like the Playstation Home thing that flopped 5 (8?) years ago.

So what did I miss?

My Mum chose the WORST time to visit me on my birthday!!! 50 years old today. 😲😭😲

Any new games mentioned? The Quest Pro? Anything interesting at all or was it just Metaverse stuff?
No.
No.
Metaverse stuff.

They want to create the building blocks to a virtual world, gaming will very much be part of that world, they just wont be the ones making the games.

I doubt it. I think they just want to draw people in and then take VR into a social media-centric direction. I see gaming as their gateway into creating this.

I think if we want high fidelity VR gaming experiences, the drive will likely come from Sony and the PSVR2 which hopefully they nail.

Oculus have 'bigger aspirations' and Valve similarly seem to have a tactic of planting seeds and letting them grow or wither and die. Valve's SteamDeck I can genuinely see as a knock-out device which will force them to put VR on the back burner to satisfy the demand.

GTA San Andreas 😲

Just seen a thread about that on Reddit.

No way that's going to be a Quest 2 exclusive for long. That's going to sell a shitload if they release PSVR and PC VR versions.

And then at some point Microsoft will get their act together and embrace VR goodness.

Rockstar aren't going to leave that sort of money on the table!

It'll be a timed exclusive.

GTA San Andreas is going to look shite in VR! They prob gave Rocktart a wad of cash for a few months exclusive, so they at least have one surprize for the connect event.
And then Rockstar will rinse it and remaster it for anything with a processor a few dozen times .

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised to see them killing the Oculus brand.

Making Quest available without a Facebook account is a good thing. Lets see how that actually plays out.

Wonder whether GTA San Andreas will be the original or the remaster? Rockstar seem to be trying to kill the originals, e.g. taking them down from Steam. If its the remaster, then why only San Andreas?

Surprised to see them killing the Oculus brand.

Making Quest available without a Facebook account is a good thing. Lets see how that actually plays out.

Wonder whether GTA San Andreas will be the original or the remaster? Rockstar seem to be trying to kill the originals, e.g. taking them down from Steam. If its the remaster, then why only San Andreas?
How you mean killing the oculus brand?

I didn't see any of the show, was it bad?

Are they killing the Oculus brand? I thought they were changing the name of Facebook?

Killing either one of them off is a daft decision though tbh.

GTA San Andreas is going to look sh*te in VR! They prob gave Rocktart a wad of cash for a few months exclusive, so they at least have one surprize for the connect event.
And then Rockstar will rinse it and remaster it for anything with a processor a few dozen times .

I can't see why it's going to look shite. The GTA V VR Mod looks amazing. 😲

Have just started playing Resident Evil 4 VR. Loved the homage to Resident Evil 1 right at the beginning, those that didn't play the first game on the PlayStation 1/Saturn will completely miss it, can't remember if the same thing happened on the later released versions.

Back on the PS1 the game used a door opening to transition between different rooms loading, and that screen appears when you first start the game. 😁

And either the developers are lazy bar stewards or this game is coming to other headsets with controllers without finger tracking. Whenever you use the typewriter or communicator the finger tracking isn't being used, it automatically points a finger.

I reckon Resident Evil 4 is a timed exclusive, and GTA San Andreas will be too. 😁

Are they killing the Oculus brand? I thought they were changing the name of Facebook?

Killing either one of them off is a daft decision though tbh.
The way i understood it is...

At the moment the whole company is called 'Facebook'.
They are changing this company name to 'Meta'.
This is so when they open their full world social media/gaming/business portal they can call it 'The Metaverse' (will be like Ready Player One).

Their sub companies will keep their original names, like Facebook, Oculus, Snapchat (and all the others they own).
That way everyone in the world in the future will refer to this social media world as 'The Metaverse' (a little like the internet is called The World Wide Web), no matter which company or HMD they use to access it.
Meta/FB will sell all these HMD's at roughly cost, to flood the world with their hardware (A bit like The Kingsman, where everyone got a free sim card... but hopefully without all the killing).
They are also saying that you wont 'need' a FB subscription either to use VR.

It wont mean a thing for us end users, except exciting times ahead (and perhaps global death).

Is this ethical? Who knows. Its no different to any other company doing similar. Its just everyone will refer to it as 'The Metaverse', no matter which manufacturer they use. A little like everyone saying 'Google it' no matter which internet search engine they use, or that they are going to 'Hoover up' no matter which make of vacuum cleaner they use.

Last edited:

Its all a bit of a pipe dream at this point. Disturbing the amount of comparisons to IOI (ready player one) there are on Reddit this morning. Facebooks reputation is never going to be clean enough for them to not be seen as un trust worthy. There needs to be a clear and concise split between the real world and the virtual world.

Also in that article
"Additionally, it says it plans to remove requirements to have a Facebook account to use its hardware, starting "sometime next year"

I`m guessing you'll still have to provide the same information to your new Meta account hosted on the same servers and shared with Facebook and their other services.

Nothing is changing, they are just creating new levels of complexity to skirt privacy regulation.

So long story short, they are decommissioning quest 1 and renaming Quest 2 the Meta Quest 2?
Pretty much. The announcement moved the Facebook papers lower in news rankings briefly.

oh dear :)
facebook-is-changing-its-name-to-meta-and-people--2-1327-1635453959-7_dblbig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unsurprisingly that presentation was very focussed on their change to Meta, as I understand it, they are dropping the Oculus name as The Quest is going to be one of the key devices for this new metaverse plan so will become the "Meta Quest"

As cool as some of those new metaverse features seem, I really couldn't care less about most of it.

Was interesting though to see that new higher end headset confirmed for next year (I reckon my prediction wasn't far off), and a couple of games in the form of Blade & Sorcery and GTA: SA. I'd hoped for more detail and more on the gaming side of things but we are obviously going to have to wait to the next dedicated gaming presentation.

They are looking for a new way to log in without a FB account, who wants to bet that its just using a Meta account :rotfl:

I think they have a gaming showcase planned before the end of the year.

GTA San Andreas is going to be awesome, shame that they didn't decide to go for Vice City though.

I'm still hoping that they're going to be porting it to PC VR and PSVR too, same with Resident Evil 4 VR, and they're just timed exclusives instead of platform exclusives.

The more high profile games that come to all platforms the better. Plus I can probably use a PC VR SKU with my Yaw2.

If not then I'll buy the Collection if the guy that did the GTA V VR Mod can get it sorted out.

But for VR to REALLY take off we need Microsoft to bring a VR headset to the Xbox. We'll see an absolute shitload of AAA quality VR games on the way if there's three platforms for third party publishers to aim for.

VR is too big to fail now but we need Microsoft to join the 21st Century for a big success.

They are looking for a new way to log in without a FB account, who wants to bet that its just using a Meta account :rotfl:
Yup 100%. Data on the same servers and shared with all held companies under the Meta heading.
I think all of this is smoke and mirrors to try and look like they are changing direction to lessen the extent of the damage from the current whistle blowers.

It was obvious when they did the switch from Oculus to Facebook login this would happen.
They are a PLC and their first priority is shareholders not users. Data makes money, money buys policy changes yada yada.

I see GTA San Andreas got a slight makeover. So I assume this is the port that will be made into VR.
Still not very good looking but a lot better

Trilogy trailer for PS5

yeah the GTA will almost certainly be that new version, ported to VR, which would open the doors for the others you would think too ( I liked Vice City best also)

Doesn't matter so much with VR though, Resident Evil 4 VR is looking dated these days but it's a great VR game.

Very true.

Oculus are onto a winner if they keep funding these ports.

I think they're shifting to social media too soon. Pump a bit more money and time into OG games of famous games and ports of titles and it'll pay dividends to them.

Big name game like GTA is a good start. Maybe give Bethesda a pot of gold and make them port Morrowind. Give COD some money to port over a COD game.

Simple games will win over the masses before Sony show up to the party.

Very true.

Oculus are onto a winner if they keep funding these ports.

I think they're shifting to social media too soon. Pump a bit more money and time into OG games of famous games and ports of titles and it'll pay dividends to them.

Big name game like GTA is a good start. Maybe give Bethesda a pot of gold and make them port Morrowind. Give COD some money to port over a COD game.

Simple games will win over the masses before Sony show up to the party.

Yup, I agree, but Social Media is the core moneymaker of their business at the end of the day, they don't want someone to create the 'Multiverse' before them because there's going to be a shitload of money in it, especially now that OpenXR is a thing these days.

But even if they don't let in other headsets 60% or so VR headset owners are using Oculus/Facebook/Meta [delete as applicable] 😂 headsets so there's going to be no shortage of people in there. They'd be daft NOT to include all headsets though I think.

At some point in the not too distant future every home will have a VR headset and if Facebook have anything to do with it the majority of them will have Meta written on the things.

More big name games will come, but the most important thing is for Microsoft to join the 21st Century and bring a headset. Once they do that you'll see the majority of games released being VR games. VR support for games will start to go more than a little crazy.

I seem to remember someone at Oculus/Facebook saying that they were switching from funding lots of small content to funding fewer games with more cash.

Wouldn't surprise me if they end up releasing 1 big name game per year, or maybe 2 big name games every 3 years.

They'll continue doing this for a while longer, but I think they were expecting Microsoft to invest in VR a while ago. So far we only have standalone VR, PC VR and PSVR and I think they were expecting Sony and Microsoft to fund more big name titles by now, and Valve to bring more than 1 proper game and a glorified tech demo to the table! 😲

By the time that the Metaverse kicks off though, the $3bn Zuckerberg spent buying Oculus and the money they've spent on R&D for hardware and games and developers is going to look like the bargain of the century! 😁

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom