Occy connect predictions - Q2P?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What're ur guys predictions for Occy connect?

I am hoping they release a QUEST THREE and now a Q2P. I hate 'pro versions' of devices and I think it encourages stagnation in technology like the Nintendo switch OLED edition for example.

However I am assuming occy's upgrades path is bound by the compute processing power available by qualcomm and a pro maybe indiciates little to no improvement there.

I wonder how long for FB to start just doing their own custom chips?? like apple with the M1 line of processors? It seems like a no brainer for them to leapfrog everyone, they have infinite money and are ballsdeep in VR now investment wise.

any predictions:

1. hardware?
2. softeware?

my hopes are:
1. better audio
2. better clarity than the G2
3. air-link getting even better
4. better controllers to match or come closer to Index ones
5. better colours ??OLED/MiniLCD

i think number 2 & 3 are maybe realistic

Facebook / Oculus rebrand so they can dodge privacy legislation and a few more taxes.
I think they will go with IOI as I`m sure Zuckerberg idolises villains.

I expect there will be focus on the "metaverse" thing. Along with a few more exclusive game titles.
Hardware? maybe some announcements of upcoming stuff by not an actual release this year.

hardware prediction:

1 - Quest Lite, same processor etc as the current model, slimmed down into a smaller package with new lens/better fov.

2 - Quest/Rift Pro, essentially a Quest 2, but with higher resolution screen (maybe oled) new lens and better fov, uprated built in audio, bigger battery and memory..

software:
new software for both to include some kind of foveated rendering solution, a new style store that combines all lines into one place.
some new software tie ins with existing studios, more ports of bigger name titles to VR.

hardware prediction:

1 - Quest Lite, same processor etc as the current model, slimmed down into a smaller package with new lens/better fov.

2 - Quest/Rift Pro, essentially a Quest 2, but with higher resolution screen (maybe oled) new lens and better fov, uprated built in audio, bigger battery and memory..

software:
new software for both to include some kind of foveated rendering solution, a new style store that combines all lines into one place.
some new software tie ins with existing studios, more ports of bigger name titles to VR.

If they do OLED, I switch back to Oculus as my main headset I think. Thats one direction I wish VR would move back towards.

OLED + Airlink vs Index controllers; I'd probably go for the OLED and Airlink at this stage.

Asgard's Wrath opening on an OLED is soooooooo much better than an LCD. I remember doing A/B comparisons of Lone echo and AW on my Q1 vs Rift S vs Index and the Q1 honestly felt the best out of all of them for certain scenes which were dark.. (apart from the mura and the Q1 has some bugs for perceived size at the time)O.

I'm hoping for news of more VR conversions from third party publishers for more Blast From The Past action for the Quest 2 and/or Rift/S.

I'll literally lose my shit if they bring Dead Space(s) and/or Bioshock(s) to VR, probably beyond the means of the Quest 2 to run them though.

I'd also like to see Capcom bring the Umbrella Chronicles on rails shooter games to the Quest 2 too.

Now that VR headsets are selling well it would be a no brainer for some of these publishers to bring some quick and dirty ports of popular games to VR from the Wii, Gamecube and PS2. With the right games released it would be easy money.

Going by social media RE4 VR is selling a shitload. :eek:

As far as the Quest 2 Pro/3 goes I can't see it being THAT much different hardware wise. Probably a Halo strap, integrated headphones but the hardware itself won't change that much, although Qualcomm are due to release another APU soon, so who knows?

I'm hoping for news of more VR conversions from third party publishers for more Blast From The Past action for the Quest 2 and/or Rift/S.

I'll literally lose my sh*t if they bring Dead Space(s) and/or Bioshock(s) to VR, probably beyond the means of the Quest 2 to run them though.

I'd also like to see Capcom bring the Umbrella Chronicles on rails shooter games to the Quest 2 too.

Now that VR headsets are selling well it would be a no brainer for some of these publishers to bring some quick and dirty ports of popular games to VR from the Wii, Gamecube and PS2. With the right games released it would be easy money.

Going by social media RE4 VR is selling a sh*tload. :eek:

As far as the Quest 2 Pro/3 goes I can't see it being THAT much different hardware wise. Probably a Halo strap, integrated headphones but the hardware itself won't change that much, although Qualcomm are due to release another APU soon, so who knows?
bioshock would be insane...

I`m sure its been mentioned but there is a stunning Bioshock mod in HL Alyx. Its about five chapters.

I tried it. Its got a good atmosphere but its not exactly bioshock to my dismay lol.

VorpX does bioshock well supposedley.. so could be an excellent shout at some point. I did play Bioshock Infinite in vorpX on my Rift S and it was ok. definitely better than playing flat.

but I can play it at 150'' in 3D from my projector which I think is more comfortable and still has that VR sensations o I;d prefer that. but thats at 720p.

I'll literally lose my sh*t if they bring Dead Space(s) and/or Bioshock(s) to VR, probably beyond the means of the Quest 2 to run them though.

Going by social media RE4 VR is selling a sh*tload. :eek:

absolutely this, I've been thinking the same for ages I don't get why there haven't been more quick and dirty ports :) Umbrella Chronicles, Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead would all be brilliant, Bioshock might even be possible with a little work/help from the big O.

absolutely this, I've been thinking the same for ages I don't get why there haven't been more quick and dirty ports :) Umbrella Chronicles, Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead would all be brilliant, Bioshock might even be possible with a little work/help from the big O.

If they starting doing this, then they win simply put.
Oculus are one step away from winnign the VR-war IMO and thats software.

Hardware has never won a gaming war - its always been the games. Its the area where Oculus I feel could still improve further. They put effort in.. no doubt about it.. but I can tell they're not a gaming company yet (or do they even want to be?).

Game which they've wasted resources or IPs like the Marvel game... or even.. altho I kind of enjoyed it.. Vader Immortal... why make a 3 episode 3 hour cinematic experience when u have full advantage of the Star wars IP... I think me and u could think of 94894894 better ways to use the star wars IP than what they did with it especially gameplay wise.

If they bang out a few more VR exclusive titles, no one will have any other option but to move. The issue is their choice of games have been questionable at times but RE4 is NOT one of them.

Them stopping Rift versiosn is putting a big middle finger up to revive and saying THIS IS WAR... IMO. and I don't blame them. They're putting all this R&D and money into making VR mainstream whilst Valve sit on their butt and do ntohing and HP just make hardware.

If Oculus can knock out a few really solid exclusive VR ports from our favorite games of all time.. then although I'll be upset because there is no high fidelity version of them.. I'll be happy because at least we're getting actually VR experiences.

The issue with Oculus is I don't think they want this. They have this annoying emohasis on social media integration and I think they'd rather push their social media-ish apps than games.

The other big dog and sleeping giant is Sony. Sony can literally destroy VR now by dropping:
1. God of War VR
2. The Last of us VR
3. Spiderman VR

Literally, we'd all put our controllers down, go out and buy a PS5 and a PSVR2 because Sony's fidelity of gaming is right at the top.

Valve are second.. I felt HLA showed they are RUSTY... their last min move from teleport to locomotion is clear. They're the best of the best but out of touch.

Then we have Oculus in third place... but although they might lack the quality of the 2 guys above.. they have the volume of games and some ABSOLUTE bangers such as Superhot, Lone Echo, Asgards Wrath... etc.

Another sleeping giant... Nintendo. Imagine if they decided to get into VR? They're easily the most genius innovative gaming company which takes advantage of every aspect of their hardware and crap graphical horsepower to their FULL advantage. The things they've attained with the Switch is insane. Imaging giving them a decently strong GPU and letting them go design a VR game like Super Mario Galaxy...

Argh..... we can dream lol. Still as you say, our best bet is Oculus. As much as I love hardware, its the games we play.

and to sum it all up.. I'm sat here typing essays and you're probably about to play RE4 VR lol.... hardware is nothing without the software.. valve committed to 4 PCVR titles and only provided 1.

Genuine leaked stuff

thank u.

im very excited for this today.

VR industry is moving forwards fast now. some of the mirror tech occy are showing off is interesting to say the least. I have a big garage ready to play with my oculus quest 3 if they occy hit it out of the park.

even if they just announce/release 2-3 more games on par with RE4

1. God of War VR
2. The Last of us VR
3. Spiderman VR

I don't think any of those would make good VR games if ported none of them are designed to be played first person - God of War was all melee and combos, Spiderman would be an instant puke fest with all the somersaults etc. They would have to be remade with VR in mind I think.

Also not sure if any of these are Sony 1st party games so they couldnt make them go VR, they would have to pay the owners for it to be done (like for Res Evil 7). So its cost vs reward and I suspect thats why Sony didnt do any more of them on PS4 as it wasn't profitable enough for them.

I agree about Spiderman however 3rd person and spectacle fighters work well in VR. Hellblade comes to mind. ...

Dead space is a game I would love in VR

Hearing great things so far.

Hand integration is a bit meh because I like buttons for actions and holding something but the voice integration in games is something we desperately need. Only seen one game try it.

Well visually that was a page from the Apple presentation handbook.
A lot of forward thinking and no new products......... Yet (case tease)
A lot of iteration on privacy amongst users but no mention of Facebook policy changes but that looks it will come down as they iron things out as this stuff gets created. Not keen on Facebook writing the rules here, but they do seem to be doing the most groundwork.
Mention of NFT and crypto more than a few times, could this be a change of track since Libra coin seems to have gone away?

Not sure of the new name - Meta. It just makes me think of Metadata, a little fitting in current trends.

Wow well I'm safe to buy a Quest 2 now 😂

No signs of a Gaming Quest and the new headset they showed is clearly high end.

Quest 2 ordered!!

wow nevermind. crap presentation. metaverse centric. oculus ready to leave gaming as soon as their metaverse has been realised. god damn that was sad.

i need to buy a Q2 for RE4VR at some point tho lol

wow nevermind. crap presentation. metaverse centric. oculus ready to leave gaming as soon as their metaverse has been realised. god damn that was sad.

i need to buy a Q2 for RE4VR at some point tho lol
They want to create the building blocks to a virtual world, gaming will very much be part of that world, they just wont be the ones making the games.

So what did I miss?

My Mum chose the WORST time to visit me on my birthday!!! 50 years old today. 😲😭😲

Any new games mentioned? The Quest Pro? Anything interesting at all or was it just Metaverse stuff?

So what did I miss?

My Mum chose the WORST time to visit me on my birthday!!! 50 years old today. 😲😭😲

Any new games mentioned? The Quest Pro? Anything interesting at all or was it just Metaverse stuff?

You should thank your mum for saving you waste 80 odd mins lol

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom