• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Occasional jump during video playback?

chalkstorm

Established Member
Hi all

Finally got my PC playing DVD files back through MCE very smoothly (during pan shots) - by outputting at 50hz. I have a dual display set up - a 19" widescreen TFT and a HD PJ. My only complaint now is that periodically I'll get a very small stutter. I have run a program called 'autoruns' to see what is loaded during boot - and disabled a fair bit - but I still get it.

I'm sure it is not refresh related - more likely to be something stealing CPU time....

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Vonzack

Standard Member
I'm suffering from something similar, I'm using:

AMD 3200
GigaByte GA-7N400S-L
1.5Gb DDR3200 SDRAM
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250Gb SATA
NEC 4550A DVD Re-writer
Sparkle 6600GT
Nvidia PureVideo Codec (Bronze)

Video is played stright to my LCD panel from the 6600GT using the VGA connector. Audio is passed through to my amp using an optical cable.

Playback of DVD's is on the whole superb, but I occasionally get Video pauses or Audio dropouts (usually 3-4 times a movie). They last just long enough to be noticeable.

CPU usage is 25-30% during playback, when the pauses or dropouts occur there is no usage spike. If I rewind the movie and play the same scenes again the pause or dropout will not occur. Even ripped DVD's on the HD have the same problems.

I can only think that this is some kind of synchronisation problem with the Audio / Video stream processing. When one or the other gets out of step the playback is halted until they are in effect re-synchronised.

What components are you using in your Media Centre?

What codec are you using to decode the DVD's?

Is the description of my problem similar to what you are experiencing?

chalkstorm

Established Member
Thanks guys

I tried to time the pauses - but gave up. Sometimes they seem to be every 10 seconds, others more than a minute - but they are difficult to spot (why am I complaining you may ask!!). My better hald can't see them....!

I use an ASUS A8N-Vm CSM, 3800+, Audigy Z2, 1gb memory and total of 900gb (3 SATA drives). Using Nvdea codecs - and MCE. I'm using SPDIF output and using my receiver to decode.

Thanks again

Si

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom