Occasional Distortion RX-V779 & Virgin Tivo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fatdaz, Jan 13, 2017.

1. fatdaz

fatdaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've got a Yamaha RX-V779 and I'm experiencing a regular, but infrequent, issue with the sound when using it to watch TV from a Virgin Tivo box.

The issue occurs once every 1-2 weeks and it's always when I am making some kind of change from the Tivo - e.g. changing channel or unpausing a previously paused show. I will try and, for example, change channel and the Tivo will do what it's supposed to but the sound will simultaneously distort until it's almost entirely static and white noise and you can't make out anything. The output from the Tivo is connected to HDMI4 on the Amp and if I change the input port on the Amp to something else and then change it back to HDMI4 the issue goes away.

This has happened since I installed the Amp and only happens with the Tivo, the Amp is also connected to a Wii, PS3, SONOS controller and Kodi box and I don't experience the issue with any other device. I've not yet tried any other device on HDMI4 though (that just occurred to me as I was typing this). I bought this Amp to replace an older Yamaha and everything worked fine with that Amp.

Anybody have any ideas what this could be? Is it worth changing HDMI ports or is it something to do with the "handshake" between the Tivo and the Amp

Thanks in advance