• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Oblivion (Zavvi Exclusive) (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

RedDevil85

Distinguished Member
Purchase link: Zavvi

Release date: 09/11/2020

Oblivion.jpg

Attachments

• Oblivion (inside).jpg
    Oblivion (inside).jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Oblivion (back).jpg
    Oblivion (back).jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Oblivion (open).jpg
    Oblivion (open).jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Doctor Hades

Prominent Member
Looks pretty awesome. Only have this on standard BD so I have been waiting for it on 4K steelbook.

IT Troll

Prominent Member
Only have this on standard BD so I have been waiting for it on 4K steelbook.
You might want to hold onto that BD. This is just a 2K upscale. The reviews are not great with some reports of less detail in places than the Blu-ray (not sure how that is even possible). It's a shame as this is one of my favourite Sci-Fi movies.

samdavies

Distinguished Member
This steel was designed by everythingblu (it'll also be their blupak no7) for universal, so a fair shout it may have a decent finish. ETB have said the finish is the studios decision on this one though...

I like it, but the back isn't quite in line, hopefully the mockup has just dropped down a bit and the actual steel isn't. I already have the 4k amaray though, but have been playing with the idea of a steel for this for a while 🤔

Last edited:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Yeh, all i’ve read is the 4K (well 2K upscale) is very ordinary.

I’ll wait for the true 4K re-release :D

samdavies

Distinguished Member
Live now for rc, code working.

Apone

Prominent Member
The image that is going through the spine is not aligned for continuity with the front clothing and it seems to just stop before the rear image. You can also see this in the cloud where the 'L' is on the spine. The image is supposed to be a continuation from front to rear right?

VERY lazy design imho. Gonna stick with what I have.

You have to wonder how the hell studios sign off on these lazy designs. Clearly someone who is not a collector or film lover and has no attention to detail.

samdavies

Distinguished Member
The image that is going through the spine is not aligned for continuity with the front clothing and it seems to just stop before the rear image. You can also see this in the cloud where the 'L' is on the spine. The image is supposed to be a continuation from front to rear right?

VERY lazy design imho. Gonna stick with what I have.

You have to wonder how the hell studios sign off on these lazy designs. Clearly someone who is not a collector or film lover and has no attention to detail.
Happens quite a bit with wrap-arounds unfortunately mate. There'll be nothing wrong with the original image that was signed off, just the application to the steel mockup. Which doesn't always end up being the same as the in hand steel either tbh.

As a flat print it'll be one continuous image, front to back. However when slathered on a steel it's also wrapped around the assumed edges of the inner spine edge of the front and rear to match the rest of the steel dimensions. Therefore you're missing around a half a CM or so between front/spine image and between spine/rear image.

If you take a look at the rear image with view of spine, you can see this looks nearly in line as you get a view of where it starts to wrap around the edge. Similarly with the front, however it looks like they've raised the image because it would have looked more so misaligned missing a chunk of his mid back halfway down the spine.

It's only in the fully open flat shot where it looks most poorly misaligned, as is the case with many wrap-arounds when layed flat.

Last edited:

justwayyouare

Established Member
The original artwork of previous steelbook was great but this is also fantastic to me.
The front side has a face pic of Tom Cruise and the film title. How does it get better than this?
It's awesome.

samdavies

Distinguished Member
Zavvi took my money on this order. It's likely to be sent very soon and awaiting dispatch.
Aye, charged for 3/4 9th releases this morning thus far too. Only solo remaining. It's just an early authorisation though, none of them will be dispatched until weds/thurs next week.

samdavies

Distinguished Member

samdavies

Distinguished Member
Mine arrived earlier, along with Waterworld. Both have awful cheap finishes, very unimpressed. This one even moreso, because the design is great. Half tempted to return it. Does not bode well for the uk release of casper (also being universal) 😞

Doctor Hades

Prominent Member
Got mine today with Star Wars: The Force Awakens steelbook.

I really like this one. The gun that Tom Cruise's character is holding and is uniform really pop on this with the silver colouring. The gun looks almost embossed but it isn't. Very striking IMO plus this has the movie title on the cover, which I am a big fan (those without titles tend to look a bit unfinished to me).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom