Oblivion - Worth Getting?

Monopot

Looking for a new game for the 360 and noticed Oblivion is £17 on Amazon now. Screenshots look good but what does everyone think of the game overall?

I've not played this style of game before but like adventure games in general so thought it may be worth a shot?

D

Deleted member 92943

Looking for a new game for the 360 and noticed Oblivion is £17 on Amazon now. Screenshots look good but what does everyone think of the game overall?

I've not played this style of game before but like adventure games in general so thought it may be worth a shot?

Good game. Worth getting but really really time consuming. I have just completed it in 60 hours and 1 minute:D Not that hard to he honest but can sometimes get boring if you don't give the game a rest. I played it on and off over 6 months or so.

aftertaste

I hadn't played this type of game before either. I ended up getting it cos everyone was raving about it. At first, I didn't like it, but after I got into to it I thought it was great :thumbsup:

I clocked up a lot of time on it, and I still plan on going back for the remaining part/achievements someday soon.

£17 is a bargain!

Jonesey

I found it very time consuming and a tad boring. I kept going back to it to try and get myself up for it but i just got bored everytime.

it takes alot of dedication to get the most out of I think.

fcz

i know everyones different but i just couldn't get into it. kept goin back but then just gave up. traded it in and got r6v, which is excellent. glad i changed.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Its a wonderful epic. over 100,000 hits on the thread (hints etc) shows the high esteem the tile is held in.
It takes about 4 hours or so to get truly involved, but once you are, prepare for your life to be taken over. Like you, I never really had bothered about this kind of genre, but gave it a go, and I was mesmerised.
For me it has been the best 360 game to date.

MMalik81

For me it has been the best 360 game to date.

For me too. i have just downloaded the expansion from XBL, but waiting for my 5th controller to arrive as i have broken 4 controllers so far all because of PES6 and i better break that game's cd to avoid breaking anymore controller

go ahead with Oblivion and you wont be disappointed, best game for xbox 360 so far after playing so many games are GOW Oblivion and COD2.

very strange that there are people who didnt like this game as everyone i know who played this game always say positive things about, never heard bad review from players of this game until today. even the people who didnt like it were saying that it was ok

themanwithapc

My best game on the 360 so far too. So much to do, very involving, great graphical showpiece (although let down SLIGHTLY by stuttering) and lots of addons available if you get bored of the main game. I'd rebuy mine at full price, so at £17 it's an absolute steal.

jaketheb

As soon as you've reached Imperial City done some of the Arena, closed the first oblivion gate, an joined another faction (hint, hint, dark brotherhood... really enjoyed that one) you are hooked. ... but if you don't play for a week then pick up your controller it can be very hard to get back into it.

Anyone else found that??

featherhall

Distinguished Member
As soon as you've reached Imperial City done some of the Arena, closed the first oblivion gate, an joined another faction (hint, hint, dark brotherhood... really enjoyed that one) you are hooked. ... but if you don't play for a week then pick up your controller it can be very hard to get back into it.

Anyone else found that??

absolutely Jake. I had put in about 70 hours or so, and for whatever reason left it for a bit (had to prove to people I was still alive I think - lol). Getting back into it was very hard, and totally thew me.
The Dark Brotherhood was excellent fun :thumbsup:

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
True - I'm about 100hrs in and having done all the side quests, i didn't want to finish the main story until shivering isles came out so i knew i'd still have more to do.

F

Fvet

Worth getting for that price, but I was disappointed with it.

Incredibly repetitive gameplay, horrible scaling enemies, huge (i.e. empty) world.

Good for the first part, but once you've closed 1 oblivion gate, the rest are nothing new. Same with all the ruins. The faction quests provide some entertainment for a bit.

Combat isn't great, once you get the hang of it, it becomes too easy - especially with the scaling enemies.

Overall a reasonable RPG, but not the wonder that was promised by any stretch.

I personally don't like the character creation or levelling system in this game either.

mark1000

Distinguished Member
Hi guys, i'm late to the Oblivion party, but what a party, just played my first five hours of this great game and only stopped for a break and doctor who, i can't believe i never got this game before, my first rpg but not my last, and a bargain for £18.

Mark.

Bilbob

Can't believe there are some lucky, lucky barstewards left who haven't played this game...
Why lucky?
Cos now you get to!

Stop waiting, at 18 quid it's a steal!

Persevere with the first few hours, it is SO worth it!

st4fore

I got this a couple of weeks ago, and as others have said its the first few hours where you learn a lot and then get into the game, if you give it time at the beginning and learn how the system works its great game. Still hungover from last night, but off to play it now!

SNuRCHeR

Standard Member
Agree with everyone else, took me a good 5-6 hours to get hooked and it just keeps getting better. i've got about 120 hours in so far and still haven't finished it. Not because i'm lame or anything :rolleyes: :rolleyes: more that i like doing the side quests and things and just wondering around and doing the odd oblivion gate (done about 20 now) or ruin or just going bandit hunting to see what goodies i can take off their battered corpses :clap: :clap:

give it a pop, i've had it for months and play games in between but always come back for more !!!!

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Its an amazing game, but like others have said it eats up time like no other. I personally do not have time to devote to it. But my girlfriend on the other hand has been playing it for months. She loves it, and hasn't touched another game since she bought it.

D

Dirk_Diggler

Utter utter mince. Never played a more boring game in my puff. If you find running about on a horse with pretty much nothing happening then this is the game for you. As for the fighting etc just thought it was utter garbage. Very boring game.:(

SNuRCHeR

Standard Member
heh, mince.

Anyways, its a bit similar to fable in the sense that you don't need to be a die hard RPG fan to get hooked on it and you can decide to be good or evil or somewhere inbetween. its also pretty good how you can easily develop your character in the sense of being hack 'n' slash / sneaky / magiky

i don't think 'dirk' gave the game enough time (or he should take it off the very easy setting :smashin: :smashin: )

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Being someone who's come from the MMORPG stable of fantasy RPGs, I found Oblivion tiresome. The scaled enemies are a terrible idea imho, and I just found the whole thing pretty to look at but ultimately boring.

Diskordian

Just started with it and i find it a bit underwhelming so far, cant even join a sodding guild yet :( can see this as trade in material tbh but i will give it another good hour or 2 before i give in to total boredom.

McPhee

Just started with it and i find it a bit underwhelming so far, cant even join a sodding guild yet :( can see this as trade in material tbh but i will give it another good hour or 2 before i give in to total boredom.

follow the main quest for a bit, have you closed the first Oblivion gate at Kvatch?

Or join the Theves Guild, just meet Armand Christophe at the Waterfront at midnight and then persuade him to let you try out

Or join the dark botherhood, murder someone out in the country (where nobody can see you) then find a bed, go to sleep and you'll get woken up by a hooded figure

This game takes a lot of work for the fist few hours because theres a lot to learn but once its set-up its great fun. IMHO the best game on the 360
Next game could do with co-op though, it does get a little lonely sometimes

sting£r

Novice Member
This game is terrible. Nice enough idea, good main quest, nice story, but the load times totally destroy it. Its the worst ive ever seen in a game, every little area has to load when you run through the world, whenever you fast travel (e.g ALL THE TIME as it takes hours to walk) you have to endure another loading screen of about 30 seconds. If this game was designed well it would be great, but you dont play, you just jump between loading screens and kill a monster or two in between. total *****.

Anotherlimey

Distinguished Member
sting£r;4627864 said:
This game is terrible. Nice enough idea, good main quest, nice story, but the load times totally destroy it. Its the worst ive ever seen in a game, every little area has to load when you run through the world, whenever you fast travel (e.g ALL THE TIME as it takes hours to walk) you have to endure another loading screen of about 30 seconds. If this game was designed well it would be great, but you dont play, you just jump between loading screens and kill a monster or two in between. total *****.

You seem to have completed alot of the game looking at your achievement list considering you think its total bleep, The Ps3 version has had alot of these issues fixed it seems for anyone owning both systems.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 23rd June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Streaming giants face UK regulation by Ofcom
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio launches new Satsuma and Honeydew earphones
  • By Andy Bassett