Oblivion: pc or 360 version?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by lapino, Mar 17, 2006.

1. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm gonna order this game (out in a few days) but I'm still debating what version I should get. What do you guys think. This is my setup:

1. xbox360 + Pioneer 436 + 5.1 surround
    2. pc (amd 3800+ X2 / 2gig ram / 7800GTX / 20" widescreen TFT)

I know the pc version will be more mod-able, but the xbox360 version should get some addons too through Live. Also, I know the 360 version will run pretty fluid, but on the other hand I got a pretty beefy pc which could possibly look even better.

HELP!

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Well your pc shuld be able to handle it, therefore I'd go for the pc version and save yourself £20.

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,355
    Based on that pc spec, and the reviews/previews i have seen so far, i'd go for the pc version. £15 cheaper, probably a better and less ugly draw distance, and you've already made quite an investment in your pc - make use of it.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    360 for me as it will likely handle it better than my 9800pro based HTPC ( my other gaming rig is an x850 XT PE) and have the advantage of being hooked up to my 42" plasma or 9foot projector. I always found the sound much better on the original xbox than the PC counterparts even when both are hooked up tothe same decent 5.1 system.

5. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    whats the deal with this game? is it a warcraft type game? rpg?
    looking at the system requirements, it looks like that computer will eat it up tbh.

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,355
    he's asking which he should get, based on his gear. Mind you, maybe lapino has a 42" screen too, in which case i'd also go for the 360 version (probably):)

7. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    RPG but not online like World of Warcraft. This is meant to be a very good games according to reviews see http://www.gamerankings.com/

It has an unusual hands on combat system left mouse button attacks right one blocks.

8. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    cheers i may take a look at this then.

take this with a pinch of salt as ive nicked it from another forum

[​IMG]

9. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,355
    where does the forum claim to obtain the benchmarks from?. A quick google search reveals nothing on the usual sites.

Would have to see a benchmark for something more average anyway, like....

1024x768
    2xAA
    2xAF
    No HDR
    max details otherwise

which is more what ilm hoping to run it in, at a decent framerate.

10. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    with specs like that you'd be mad not to go for the pc version!

leave the eggbox360 in the shadows

11. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Well the GPU in the 360 seems to be based around the 1900XT, also 35 frames a second with no HDR that is pretty crappy, is it just me or does anyone else think graphics card these days cannot handle games at resolutions we want.... I mean if your Paying $600 you would expect to be able to play your games in full glory, but no.....I play at 1024*768 so I should be able to get 60FPS with everything on high no matter which of the high end cards I choose, but it's those who game on monitors with Higher resolutions *cough* "2405" that I feel sorry...

12. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    monitors that big are too big, standard is 17"

13. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,355
    thats why i used common sense and didnt buy one of these As much as i'd like one, its going to be a long time before the average system can comfortably run your latest bells & whistles game, at that res. I'll stick with my 19" CRT for now..

14. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    with specs like that it'll look just like the 360 or maybe slightly worse. If he had x1900 series card then maybe the pc would just pip the 360, from the people who compared them the opinions were mixed but it seemed the pc just took the crown.

But anyway its more about where he is more comftable sitting for hours, weather he cares about 360 acheivements, weather he prefers a mouse/keyboard, weather the 5 pound saving of the pc version matters to him (what he listed probably comes to about 5 grand so I doubt it will) and weather the fact the PC version is likely to get more mods matters to him.

For me its the 360 version as my PC isn't as nice as his, if it was though, I'd still go the 360 version as he as a 42 inch plasma with 5.1 surround sound and sitting on a couch for hours is more comftable imo.

15. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    i did say take it with a pinch of salt. i cant find the thread on the forum now but when i do ill post it back if theres the source of this there.

16. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    PC, no doubt.

17. oblivion_6

oblivion_6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Get the pc version, thats what im planning on doing, theres no point having all that tasty pc power and not using it

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Ask on the xb360 forum and see whats said ...
    For me it comes down to control system and comfort, if the acuracy and speed of a mouse is not needed then a pad will be fine and a sofa can be nice of you don't have a comfy computer chair.

19. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    I think you'll find with the new control method both control and accuracy are now essential;) The fighting/interaction is more down to how YOU master your skills and is no longer a matter of the pc rolling a dice to see whether you hit or miss.
    For me this means a mouse and keyboard which unfortunately the xbox360 doesn't support at the moment but I'm sure people will be able to master the controls on a keypad too.
    I was in two minds whether to buy a 360 for this game but I'm holding out to see how my rig copes with the PC version first. I've had this game on pre-order since May last year and I've booked some days of work to start my adventuring (sad for a 39 year old I know but I don't have a life:rotfl: )
    Which ever format people decide to buy I'm sure they will thoroughly enjoy the world Bethesda has created for all of us to explore:clap:

20. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go for the 360 simply so I can sit on my arse on my nice comfy couch.

I really must invest in a nice PC chair...

21. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I am currently looking for a PC chair to, actually I have found one but it's expensive for £250, I saw a memeber on the forums had the same exact chair and they got it for £150 i'll see if I can find it...need ot get one...

22. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Ive ordered the pc version for £25. I feel a a bit like i've betrayed my 360 but the way i see it is for £15 less i get the same game. I play my 360 on my pc monitor and have a wired 360 controller that works fine on my pc, so in a way i'm hoping not to notice much difference. I guess i'll miss out on widescreen gaming but i prefer sitting close to a monitor on my comfy leather chair TBH.

If it turns out my pc cant handle the beast i'll trade the pc version for the 360 version. So far all the pc/360 multiformat (cod2, quake4) games work as good if not better on my pc than on the 360 so i'm hoping i'll be allright. In any case i have the recommended spec for the game (as opposed to the minimum required) so i'd be disappointed if it didn't match the 360.

23. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    IGN say this about the controller

He has a great PC and a great home cinema system, you can't go wrong at all. Surely you know which you enjoy sitting in front of for hours? whichever that is go with that.

24. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    WHat a bunch of whacko's at IGN, have they not heard of the Xbox 360 Controller for PC....best of both worlds...

25. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    The IGN article was fair and unbiased and ended up saying that neither version is particually better and it was totally down to personal preferance. Something that the "PC no doubt" and "You'd be mad not to go for the PC version" people havn't managed to be.

I quoted that small part of the article in responce to the person saying they felt the new combat system required a keyboard and mouse to do well with.

Your point that if you prefer to use the 360 controller but still want the benefits the PC version brings like better mods or slightly cheaper price you can is well made.

Full article - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/693/693513p1.html

26. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    This is now in stock at play.com

27. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,408
    PC version without a doubt. For one thing the original poster has a decent PC and so will be able to match the 360 version graphically. But more importantly the PC version ships with a level designer so PC gamers will benefit from addons, free downloads and user created mods. 360 users won't get any of that. Furthermore the 360 has, unsurprisingly, got a fixed look ahead distance - on the PC this is variable so as more powerful graphics cards become available you'll get much better GFX than on the console - which is quite important given the longer life the title will have on the PC due to the mods! Oh - it's also £15 cheaper! ;) :)

28. saguy

saguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have also been undecided, not so much which game version to go for, but more whether to get a 360 considering I have recently purchased a 32" HDTV. As far as control goes I usually always prefer mouse for FPS but with the type of game play in Oblivion either will work just as well.

I think I will not bother with the 360 considering I already have a top end PC (and a new 1900XT-X arriving tomorrow) and most of the 360 games I am interested in are coming out on PC anyway.

Unlike most you I prefer my PC setup for comfort. I tested at least 20 or so office type chairs and ended up buying a £280 chair from Ikea which is extremely comfortable and ergonomic. I find I get hand/arm strain when playing with game pads for extended periods and I know I will playing Oblivion allot.

I just hope not to be disappointed with the performance. Top end PC does not always = good game performance. My PC was top end when FEAR first came out and we all know how demanding that game engine was. At least with the 360 you are almost guaranteed it will run fine.

Damn, Oblivion on a 32" inch screen would be sweet though.

29. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Xbox 360 version will be prettier, PC version cheaper (or free if you know where to look).

I can't decide which version to get TBH.

30. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Your starting to get on my nerves with your sly comments...