Oblivion: PC or 360 version?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by lapino, Mar 17, 2006.

1. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm gonna order this game (out in a few days) but I'm still debating what version I should get. What do you guys think. This is my setup:

1. xbox360 + Pioneer 436 + 5.1 surround
    2. pc (amd 3800+ X2 / 2gig ram / 7800GTX / 20" widescreen TFT)

I know the pc version will be more mod-able, but the xbox360 version should get some addons too through Live. Also, I know the 360 version will run pretty fluid, but on the other hand I got a pretty beefy pc which could possibly look even better.

HELP!

2. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I think the PC version is cheaper, both should run well given the spec of your PC. So if cost isn't an issue either it would boil down to what would you rather play on: the 20" monitor or your 42" Plasma with surround sound? :)

3. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    I would expect your PC to look the same as the 360 version. So really its completly up to you.

Do you prefer the controller or keyboard and mouse? IGN said the game works very well with the controller.

Do you prefer sitting in front of the PC or on the couch with your home cinema system.

Do you enjoy getting the 360 acheivements.

While the 360 will get mods I belive they will be few and far between compared to the PC version. I assume the 360 will get all the offical mods but very few of the unnoffical ones.

Is the 5 pounds or so you will save with the PC version relevent to you?

You have a fantastic PC and a fantastic home cinema system so you really can't go wrong either way. It can be quite a long game so chose the system you enjoy being at the most.

4. Mandark

Mandark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love PCs but hate the usual PC gaming problems such as game won't install, game keeps crashing etc...although admittedly there's less of this these days.

I wouldn't want to stick my PC DVD in one day and find that the game won't start and then spend hours of what should be game time trying to get it working, especially when I know that there's probably a trouble free console version kicking around.

5. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I agree with you there - I've built a cracking PC, but lately, especially with the bloody copy protection they have started using I have no end of trouble getting games to run. I had to wait for a patch for FEAR before I could even play it - to pay for something and not even be able to use it is extremely frustrating. Far easier to chuck a disc in the 360 and know you can play straight away :smashin:

6. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I have a mate who is really into getting this game, he has both a top end pc and 360 and is getting the pc version as it is ment to be better than the 360. This is what he tells me, I havent clue why though. :confused:

7. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I think hardcore players like to create add-ons and mods for the game which are obviously going to be easier to do and thus far more prolific on the PC.

8. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

Could very well be, I will try and speak to him and post why. He has been waiting for this game for ages.

9. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    IGN said

and

but gamespot said

The other preview I read mentioned that the 360 version looked exactly the same but was smoother but I have no idea where that was, it was probably an xbox site though.

They were compareing a top of the range PC with a Radeon x1900 series graphics card that costs more than the 360 alone.

IGN said this about the controller

IGN's finishing comment was

10. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Afaik it runs better on the 360 than even the highest end pc gpus inc. sli.

11. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Cheers for posting that Noggin. My friend has a X1900XT card, he is very fussy when it comes to graphics (AA & AF). I feel this is one of the reasons why he is going for the pc version. :)

12. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Your pc will run it no probs, (the oficial recommended graphics card is a 6800 which your card will chew up and spit out). Personally i'd go pc as its a long game and my pc chair is more comfortable for long periods, also the mrs will not let me spend too long on the 32"lcd as she hogs it for her soaps.

My pc on the other hand is not as fast as yours (tho it does have the 6800gs card) so i'll likely go for the 360 version.

13. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    i honestly cant be arsed playing games on my pc anymore its big, bulky noisy and i only have a 17" monitor and it son my desk upstairs

ive been won over with the 360 on my hdtv for my gaming needs so ill be getting the 360 version

14. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

I must admit that I have only played one or two gaming sessions on my pc since I got my 360. The 360 is far easier to use and of course its got the brilliant xbox Live. I cant see me upgrading my pc in the next 6 months as I normally do so every 18 months - 2 years. The 360 has it all for me. Good graphics, easy to use and loads of mates on Live. I dare say that in 1 years time the pc would of advanced past the 360, maybe then I may be tempted, but unitll then its 360 all the way for me.

15. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well Ive been a PC gaming nut since I bought and built my first one at 19 (im now 33) but since getting the 360 its the first ever console thats made my intrest wane in the PC. I have a PC easily able to play it (3.06ghz HT P4 with 2gig ram dc ram and 6800 ultra) but Im so sick of having to mess about for a day at least configuring each game. Its also damn hard to find games what run in widescreen even now for the PC there just not configured that much (or you have to go into the .ini files of games to access em) so Im going for the easy option of 720p on the 360 (I use the same telly for both). A deciding factor with the PC as well is dont forget the 360 is one build a PC is 100 of thousands of different configurations so theres always someones PC that cant run it properly due to driver issues, dvdrom drive etc..

I bought both versions on COD2 and Id play the 360 anyday over the PC so thats swayed it as well.

16. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Gotta admit one of the main reasons to go for the pc version, is because of my wife keeping the telly hostage for all the (stupid) soaps. This is also the reason why I bought a widescreen TFT, so I can at least connect my 360 to that one (but colours are VERY bad with VGA).

17. featherhall

featherhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,995
    seeing its a 360 forum i thought it would be obvious.

18. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    this is posted in the pc forum as well, best they recommend the pc and here recommends 360

19. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Yeah no need for two threads but:

To fully enjoy this game a lot of time has to be invested so get whatever version you can give the most time.

If this is not a problem and your pc is well specced than save yourself some £££'s.

Simple really:smashin:

20. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    actually I think this thread has been fair and balanced, the one in the pc forum, not so much.

Pretty much all of us in this thread have a Pc and a 360 so there is unlikely to be much bias. Not the case in the PC forum.