Oblivion or Fallout 3?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by craggs, Feb 8, 2009.

1. craggs

craggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    This might of been asked before but i cant find a thread on it.

i fancy the idea of gettin into a long game like one of these so thought id ask which you think to go for.

i cant find a playable demo for either game to even try and see which i prefer if any.

2. virtual22

virtual22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    Personally I prefer Fallout 3 but that may because I played it first and therefore found it easier when making the switch to Oblivion. I also find Oblivion a bit confusing because of all the magic stuff and the like where as with fallout a gun's a gun, if that makes sense. However, I've now bought the official guide for Oblivion so hoping this will make it a bit easier.

3. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Tricky.

The difficult thing is that they made both games so damn good and engrossing.

I put about 180 hours into Oblivion and probably just over 40 into Fallout 3 so for scope and longevity Oblivion might have the edge.

Fallout is a gritty, and certainly far less vibrant setting than the Oblivion landscape and here I think it loses a little as it almost verges on the disturbing at times. Graphically I would say that Oblivion looks better but the Fallout graphical engine is more complex and accomplished, the textures in Fallout are better but this is muted by the minimal colour pallette used to set the scene.

Combat system wise I would say that Fallout definately has the edge as the VATS system (where you pause the action and select a targetted attack) adds a dimension that the hack and slash nature of Oblivion lacks. Oblivion in this respect is more FPS oriented although you could ignore the extra modes of Fallout and use that as an FPS also.

Customisation is definately stronger in Oblivion where you can steer the development of your character into good/bad, fighter/mage/assassin, light and fast vs heavy and slow. Fallout offers less diverse customisation and concentrates on individual skills such as prowess with a particular type of weapon.

Bottom line is Oblivion is a fantasy RPG and that opens up the flexibility to do things such as a magic element allowing you to travel within a painting. Fallout 3 is limited by its setting although you do get to keep the tin-foil hat brigade happy by stumbling across a UFO *rotf*

Given that you could probably pick up Oblivion for not much than a tenner (especially preowned) I would recommend you go with that and see how you get on, if that gets your boat a bobbin' then that will buy time for the price of Falout 3 to drop to even wallet friendlier territory.

4. craggs

craggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i notice they are made by the same people (i think) and you can have 1st or 3rd person view.

i must admit i do like the look of fallout,but i also like the olde style look of oblivion

thing is ive never played these long type games its all new to me,im a resident evil fan (4 being my choice) and looking forward to 5.i love gears of war,,not into halo,,but i love the weird horro servival type games

so thats why im torn,i noticed oblivion has goblin style creatures in does fallout have creature things in it?:D

5. craggs

craggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i just posted as you did,great post and forgot about the price difference,i have seen oblivion for around a tenner but fallout is still around the 25 pre-owned.

i suppose if i dont like oblivion i may still like fallout and that means i could grad dead space aswell and not break the bank:smashin:

6. edwardtickle

edwardtickle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I don't think that is a choice i could make, both of them are fantastic games which immerse you in their own way. I would say buy one now and play it, then have a gap, then buy the other one, this way you are not missing out as apart from the RPG element, they are very different IMO.

7. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Indeed

Dead Space is very good but if you want the longer sort of adventure then I would suggest you also look to Fable 2 and Mass Effect also, Mass Effect in particular offers a very strong storyline oriented adventure (shame the offer at Argos has ended where you could get it for a tenner).

Good hunting and good gaming! :thumbsup:

8. craggs

craggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks for the help everyone,best forum ive registered for yet.quick response

btw Kahled just checked out that mass effect and its another added to my wishlist,looks like a good game :smashin:

and just won myself a brand new copy of dead space £18.47 looking forward already

9. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Like someone else I've played Oblivion for 140+ hours.
    Played Fall Out 3 for 5 hours and sold it. Its a great game as everyone has said but I couldnt stomach another marathon adventure.

Couldn't get on with Fable 2 and it is no where near as deep as say Oblivion.
    Mass Effect was good and had stunning graphics in places but failed to come anywhere near the depth of Oblivion (of fall Out) But it had a great story to it.
    I hear Bethesda softworks maybe starting to work on the next Elder Scrolls although we could be looking a couple of years yet. In the mean time I still have 'The Shivering Isles' DLC to finish...

10. Scott23

Scott23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Fallout all the way for me. Much better setting and VATS is excellent to play with

11. benmango

benmango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Oblivion all the way for me. Fallout 3 didn't "grab" me in the way Oblvion did. I also think the depressing nature of most of Fallout's environments didn't sit well with me, unlike the pleasant sweeping countryside of Oblivion :)

12. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,645
    Oblivions world is far more immersive. The sweeping landscapes and rolling country hills and fields set this aside from everything else. The quests are surprisingly engaging and the musical score brilliantly enhances that. Most of the time I haven't got a clue whats going on yet it has still drawn me :eek:
    It can be more then a game.......its like another little world to retreat to (Ok, I just read back over that and its sounds seriously GEEK.....but I stand by the comment) If Fallout fans can over the fact there are no big guns etc then there is another fantastic gaming experience to be had.

13. Sir-Cato

Sir-Cato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

Lets face it, after a nuclear war vibrant landscape will be nothing but a mere memory.

14. xox Godders xox

xox Godders xox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I'd say Oblivion.

A bit more complicated (worth reading a bit about levelling beforehand) but I found it to be more rewarding. I put about 200 hours into oblivion, not exactly sure how long I played Fallout for but I doubt it's even 1/4 of that.

Fallout is still excellent of course.

15. JonnyConcrete

JonnyConcrete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I was totally addicted to Oblivion but I really haven't been anywhere near as engrossed in Fallout in fact I've been struggling to keep playing it. I don't know why this is. It could be that Oblivion was my 1st ever RPG so the whole game format was new to me, or when I played Oblivion there wasn't any other games out I wanted to play where as when I bought Fallout I had GOW2, Tiger Woods, COD5, Left 4 Dead and Madden 09 all new games all bought within a month or 2 of each other so I had plenty of other games to play.

I do think Oblivion is more in depth (more skills to rank up) and the world seemed bigger.

Fallout is more my type of game, never really been into magic and stuff, prefer guns so I really can't understand why I liked Oblivion so much more (perhaps some of the reasons above).

So I'll say Oblivion.

16. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    BOTH:devil:

Though I prefer Oblivion....

*ducks*

....for the depth and length of play. With all DLC's took me over 250hrs+ to complete

Couldn't do without either in my collection, there as good as eachother in various ways, but if I aboslutly had to choose one over the other I'd have Oblivion.

tris

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  17. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,645
    I'm intrigued to know how many Fallout players will now be seeking out Oblivion after their enjoyment of F3 ? I know Kav mentioned he would be giving it another try, considering he must of notched over 100 hours of Fallout by now he might get through Oblivion by 2010 ! I originally picked up Oblivion on release day but after an hour of play I ditched it. I just didn't get the whole RPG and exploration concept.

18. smallclanger

smallclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I completed Oblivion but I am tempted to re-run with a different character after fallout, once I get it back from my mate..

19. craggs

craggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    well i just won myself a copy of oblivion last night for £9.57 +p&p so looking forward to getting it in the xbox:thumbsup:

on another note i won dead space brand new for £18,so goot a couple more games to be getting on with

20. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Hi Steve, yes, I do still intend to get back to Oblivion - also need to complete Dead Space, COD:WaW on vet, Gears 2, Left 4 Dead, Just Cause, Tomb Raider (hasn't even made it into my 360), The Club...oh and I also have an arcade games pack, Fable 2, Kung Fu Panda (for the kids, honest!) and Lego Indy on their way to me. I reckon it probably will be 2010 before I get on to it!

Over 130 hours clocked up on Fallout now...:suicide:

...but I still managed to get all the achievements from The Maw in between - great little game!

In my opinion, having played both and struggled to get into Oblivion, Fallout 3 is the easier game to get into if you're more used to FPS-type games. Having almost completed Fallout, it has definitely rekindled my interest in Oblivion - I just can't be arsed with all the casting spells jazz in Oblivion.

21. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Preferred Oblivion myself, although it did have faults like repetetive caves, which F3 replaced with repetive subway stations...

22. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,645
    Mate, you are not alone. All that Jive talk about spells is wasted on me....I just hack and slash my way to victory :devil:

23. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Whatchu talkin' bout turkey! :rotfl:

Really, swap the word "spell" for "grenade" and thats exactly what you have on tap on LT, it's just a secondary fire button afterall...

24. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,645
    Ahhh, ok.....I didn't even know LB was the button to use. So.....Tell me more......How do I know what spells I am using ? How many times can I use it ?? Whats the best one to have and where do I get ???

I like this Grenade analogy. I think this could work for me ;)

EDIT: How funny is that scene in Airplane where the old lady says "its ok.....I speak Jive" :rotfl:

25. craggs

craggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Oblivion where did it all go wrong,,been playing it now for about 6 hours or so,,and yes i am loving it great game,,love the 50 gamers for doin tasks.

closed the oblivion portal thingy.

now i need help,,i got 3 commenteries but had to really fight for them,,i followed a walkthrough on this and nothin said about the guards

why is it no matter where i go in the imperial city doin the "the path of dawn" everyone is attackin me i cant even follow that baurus guy to the sewers cause he is turning on me along with everyone in the town????????

HELP !!!..:D

26. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,645
    The best place for info is:Main Page - UESPWiki

And the forum thread is here:http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360-games/899219-oblivion-play-help-thread-part-2-a-2.html
    Also on post 1 is a link the previous 1000 posts in thread 1:smashin:

27. smallclanger

smallclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463

I guess you've done something naughty, killed someone you shouldn't or stolen something - you can either pay your fine to a member of the thieves guild or pay a guard or do the time. Then you will leave you alone.

28. craggs

craggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  29. craggs

craggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35

right well ill do the time as ive nothin to pay them with,it started when i very first teleported into the im[erial city,a guard stopped me and said well well bla bla only option was resist arrest or go to jail,

so ill do the time,,but they will take everythin of me i assume including the 3 out of the 4 commenteries books??

30. B_O_O_Y_A_R

B_O_O_Y_A_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On another note. How easy are these games to jump into. I haven't played many of these types of RPG. I have played pleanty of jRPGs on the DS and other than that abit of Baldaurs etc but was wondering whether this might be too much. Also hows Fable 2 different?