oblivion: fragmented cache data fix

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Windtalker, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Windtalker

Windtalker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive to cache game data and in some cases the info stored on the hard drive can get fragmented, slowing down the game's performance. Bethesda has already found out a way to fix the issue. Here is the official word:

Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive extensively to cache (copy and reuse) game data. This is done to optimize all loading the game does. It has been found in rare cases on some Xbox 360s that the cached data can get overly fragmented. This exhibits itself by the game taking a long time to load anything from menus, dialogue, sounds, objects, levels, and more.

To solve this problem, reset your Xbox, and hold down the A button as the game is booting up. If any button is held while Oblivion is loading, it will clear its hard drive cache, and create a new one.

Once you see the “Bethesda Softworks” logo video, the game is already loaded, and the cache should have been cleared.

Note, this does not effect your game in any way other than loading. You will not lose any saved data

2. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    This has already been posted in the oblivion thread m8. :)

3. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    its actually been posted in the oblivion thread twice now

4. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    thats the problem with one thread per game. Not all people who visit the forum (me included) read every last post. Oh well better get back to work boss just walked in :D

5. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    i know its there because i put it there, but i see your point. although then you have to ask if we have one thread per game then shouldnt this have been put in there?

but i see you got a couple of thanks for posting it, so if it helps people i dont mind either way:)

6. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Does that mean that the disc noise is greatly reduced then?

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Is this thread of use to people though? Like is anyone who is going to buy Oblivion not reading the Oblivion thread? Well, obviously the OP isn't reading it... Hmmm. It's not an obvious duplicate as you always get those who like to browse the thread titles as opposed to the threads themselves, so I've left it open.

8. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    source?

:) ok thats enough. haha.

9. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I'm not reading obilvion thread, all its become is a guessing game of when peoples pre-order are going to arrive so this thread was helpful for me

10. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Hmmm, I think your making far too much of me asking for a source for your info...

11. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +695

Yes it's useful for me to know.

I'm not a fan of threads that grow to more than a few pages long so I tend to avoid them, hence with the one thread per game rules I miss most of the information because it's too much effort reading through every single page.

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I know it's an interesting thing to know, so that's why I left this thread open. On reading the Oblivion thread it has indeed become an exchange of tedious "woohoo my pre-order just got sent posts", so I understand where you're coming from.

13. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Thanks Windtalker, I haven't heard that before.

And as for having just one thread per game on these forums, I personally think it's ridiculous. I realize it stops info being posted several times but I don't care, I would have missed info like this as I'm not going to trawl through hundreds of oblivion posts which pretty much amount to when play/gameplay/asda etc have posted the game.

I'd prefer to see dozens of posts for each game and select the ones I'd like to read, surely forums are all about choice.What gets me is that the moderators on here even close threads down if they think the information has already been posted and complain about people posting game related threads on the normal 360 forum, it's just so petty.

14. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    OK, as you may have noticed we're not so strict on the one game one thread thing now, we're trying to find a happy medium. I don't want to take this thread OT like so many have, but there needs to be a balance between the number of threads per game and some diversity on the titles you can read about without having to scroll down though 3 pages.

For example, if you had "dozens of posts" (by which I assume you mean threads) about each game, you would only have reference to a couple of games. What if your particular title you want to discuss wasn't quite so popular? So from this, only duplicate threads will now get closed/deleted now where there is a thread in existence already about the same topic (notice I said topic there, not game).

The exception to this rule will be "Woohoo, my XXX game just got posted from YYY store today" threads which are just tedious and so the axe will be wielded.

15. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Yeah,It must be a thankless task moderating and I understand that you have to have a balance and that pointless threads like you mention should be closed/deleted, what I'm saying is because of over moderation of the forums has meant that they are now becoming boring with very few new threads even on very popular forums.

What annoys me is you even thought about closing this thread because this information had been already posted, You shouldn't even be thinking about closing/deleting threads like this which contain need to know tips like windwalker's.

16. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I was responding to the fact someone posted this was a duplicate thread via a post on here and our reported post system which only us mods get to see. I apologise for annoying you for even considering other member's views. And I had to read this info twice, here and in the other thread, that was mildly annoying for me.

17. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Does this work for any other games or is it just for this one ??

18. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +695
    This is the first I've heard of hard drive caching and suddenly makes me a little woried. Often Ill turn off the console mid game without returning to desktop, so if games ARE caching, is this data being deleted when I turn off like that? Or maybe games automatically empty the cache when you start them up. Who knows.

Wouldn't mind betting this is the first to do it on the Xbox though.