Oblivion after Skyrim?

Bamford38

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if its worth me playing Oblivion after ive finished with Skyrim?
Ive never played an Elder Scrolls game before. To be honest i only bought Skyrim on a whim, but ive completely fallen in love with it.
Im really getting in to all the elder scrolls lore. Ive been reading all the books in skyrim relating to previous games and ive even looked online at story points etc.
Now im thinking i would like to experience oblivion, but im wondering if the leap from oblivion to skyrim is too vast to go backwards?
Can anyone whos played both please tell me if i should give oblivion a crack.
Cheers guys

It's not as pretty to look at it but it plays pretty similarly to Skyrim.

You can pick up the Oblivion GOTY edition in the classifieds for a tenner these days.

Do it!

It's not as pretty to look at it but it plays pretty similarly to Skyrim.

You can pick up the Oblivion GOTY edition in the classifieds for a tenner these days.

Do it!

I saw the 5th anniversary edition at GAME for £15 today. Thats whats got me thinking about it.
Is that worth it? Im assuming all the DLC is with it

If you like skyrim you should love oblivion bear in mind it's another 100 hour+ game though:D There are a few slight differences with the levelling system and weapons but I actually preferred the way weapons degraded and broke anyway.

If you can look past the 5 year old graphics and pick it up for a tenner you will have got yourself a bargain.

Oblivion - took me ages to realise you had to go to sleep to level up... :facepalm:

The levelling system really put me off in Oblivion - it took me so, so long to complete the first gate as I'd levelled up so much beforehand it made it too difficult.

Still, other than that, it's an enjoyable game. It's another lovely game world to roam around.

It most certainly is worth it. Although the graphics are not as excellent as Skyrim they are still impressive (particularly so when you think this was a 360 launch title !)

There's easily another 100+ hours of gameplay if you want to do everything, especially if you track down the Game of the year edition with the Knights of the Nine & Shivering Isles add-ons.

:thumbsup:

The levelling system really put me off in Oblivion

Very much this. The more I read about how the levelling was broken, the more I was put off by it. I put a fair amount of time into the game, but it just didn't grab me in the way that Skyrim has. I'm glad that stupid conversation wheel minigame isn't in Skyrim.

Fallout 3 / New Vegas didn't appeal to me because the setting is just too bleak for my tastes. Skyrim is just gorgeous.

The top of this forum has turned into a bit of a Bethesda love fest, hasn't it? :smashin:

The top of this forum has turned into a bit of a Bethesda love fest, hasn't it? :smashin:
They are doing a grand job :D

I like how they've copied the lockpicking over from Fallout 3 as well. That was a good steal.

Skyrim has basically improved on Oblivion, as it should, but this doesn't mean Oblivion was rubbish - far from it.

The levelling system really put me off in Oblivion - it took me so, so long to complete the first gate as I'd levelled up so much beforehand it made it too difficult.

Still, other than that, it's an enjoyable game. It's another lovely game world to roam around.

+1 for me.

i just did not feel there was any point in exploring everywhere as all of the baddies and the loot obviously leveled up with you, fallout 3 had it much better in this regard. sure you DO get more high level baddies when you go up a level but it is still nice to come accross bad guys which seemed tough at the start when you can easily blap later on.

as i have read skyrim is much more like fallout in this regard, it is in my must buy list, though not sure when.... i may even wait 12 months and go for a
goty. (after all i have a LOT to go at before ;) )

I'm replaying Oblivion at the moment (started on the 360 but never finished, this time on the PC with a whole bunch of mods). Absolute cracker of a game and I can't recommend it highly enough.

About the levelling issues, there are fairly straightforward ways to play the game to make sure you're not overwhelmed. I posted info in the Oblivion threads, PM me if you can't find it. I'm currently level 40 or so and all has been well.

P.S. Oh, and if you have a half-decent PC, I'd recommend Oblivion GOTY on there rather than the 360. The main reason - mods mods mods! And you can still play with a joypad for the most part (native support is bad though and you need a freebie third party program like xpadder).

I got Oblivion with my 360 way back when but couldn't get into it as I didn't understand how it worked and chose a really rubbish character build. I got to the bit where you meet Sean Bean and then gave up. I really regret it now though as I loved Fallout and am currently loving Skyrim.

As richardb70 says, if you have a decent PC then there's you can get hi-res texture mods to make it look a bit more modern, not to mention hundreds of other useful / fun / bizzare mods for it. My PC is the same age as the game though so probably best just sticking with the Xbox if I buy it again, otherwise I'd probably need the "Oldblivion" mod!

Speaking of mods, PC gamers get one for Skyrim where you can smelt low end weapons and armour. I'm super envious! :p

Not to prattle on about the PC version but if you're interested, keep an eye on the Steam sales (one coming up). Last one had Oblivion GOTY for £3 or so (!).

My PC is pretty low-spec (first gen i3) and I'm running with some "beautifying" mods which it copes with nicely (although "vanilla" Oblivion still looks very nice). RandomLee is right, though - when Oblivion first came out, you needed a hefty PC to get it looking as nice as the 360 version.

The only issue i thought with oblivion on the xbox was load times.

At the time I tried it on xbox and on my PC which was an overclocked nvidia 7800GTX. There was not a lot in it performance wise, maybe the xbox had the edge BUT the load times on the xbox were a bit of a pain (this was before installs) where as practically instant on pc. However things have moved on now and we can install, but my mate who is currently playing GOTY oblivion on the xbox of his HDD said even when installed the load times are still tiresome and I think he will be getting skyrim on pc for that reason.

I ended up getting Oblivion (the 5th anniversary edition). Started playing it the other day.
I never thought i was a graphics whore, but its sooo ugly its really putting me off. I know it was a launch game and i should just get over how it looks, but i think ive just been spoilt far too much with how pretty all the games at the moment look.
Ill give it another go at some point, but its gonna have to take a back seat for the time being until ive got through the other new games ive just got.

Each to their own and depends what you're used to, I guess! I personally don't find Oblivion ugly at all. Compared to something like Fallout 3, it's a riot of colour and there's a lot of variety in the landscapes, from the snowy peaks up north near Bruma to the lush vegetation down south.

Aaaanyway, it's not all about the graphics, mind you. Don't expect photorealism and I think you'll get sucked in along with the rest of us!

I really didnt like oblivion, then i just rented skyrim, a totally different story. I love it! Id slightly sugest oblivion if you like the sound of the story but overall be highly disppointed after playing and finishing skyirm!

I ended up getting Oblivion (the 5th anniversary edition). Started playing it the other day.
I never thought i was a graphics whore, but its sooo ugly its really putting me off. I know it was a launch game and i should just get over how it looks, but i think ive just been spoilt far too much with how pretty all the games at the moment look.
Ill give it another go at some point, but its gonna have to take a back seat for the time being until ive got through the other new games ive just got.

You should give it another chance, it will feel like a devolutionary step compared to most of the refinements in Skyrim, but the game itself is brilliant.

You can even go online and purchase armour for your horse!

Ok that last bit was sarcasm.

You should give it another chance, it will feel like a devolutionary step compared to most of the refinements in Skyrim, but the game itself is brilliant.

You can even go online and purchase armour for your horse!

Ok that last bit was sarcasm.

It still has the ability to suck me in for long periods... one day I'm determined I'll stop faffing about & will actually finish the questlines & get the achievements :D

As for the horse armour, nuff said ! :rotfl:

I lived in this game for so long, I would go to work for a rest. Anyway it seems that Skyrim is doing this to me all over again. Breakfast time, just going to crush up some Frosties with my mortar and pestle.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom