1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Objective View Required

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by compusolve, Jun 19, 2001.

1. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Can someone give me some advice or views on these models and there differences,

The Toshiba MT3 my first choice
    The Toshiba MT1
    The Sanyo PLV30

I dont have the facilities to view down here in Devon, so can anyone give me some good feed back about any of the above, if you have seen the MT1 or the Sanyo together, also has anyone actually purchased the MT3 and if so what is it like?

Thanks in advance.

2. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on the MT3, but I have had a head-to-head demo of the MT1 and PLV-30. The same conditions were used for both projectors - same lighting, same screen, same DVD player etc.

First I viewied the MT1. I thought the picture was excellent but noticed straight away the grey blacks "problem". However, I would have been prepared to live with it. Then I viewed the PLV-30. The difference was incredible. Blacks were actually black! It didn't take long for me to decide that the Sanyo was better.

I hope this is helpful, however I would strongly advise you to try and get a demo yourself. You may prefer the MT1 - only you can decide.

BTW I've had the Sanyo for about two months and I'm as pleased with it now as I was when I first saw it. I use it for everything - TV, DVD and PS2. For £2000 I think it's a bargain!

3. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks StephenR

I have in haste ordered or so far part ordered a MT3 for £1999.99. This has the contrast at 400:1, the price for this unit is very good and with a full UK warranty, other sources offer the unit at £2500.

Where I live it is hard to find a place to demo. I have a Sharp XV350 LCD at the moment which was £5999,it gives a good picture and has lots of features shift, zoom,16:9 etc, but although the blacks are great I loose a lot of detail in very dark scenes, if the MT3 gets around this and retains the same blacks I will be very happy.

Out of interest what screen to you project on? I have a screens UK 2M electric, I have heard of a lot of people painting their walls or screens grey to achieve better blacks. I dont think I would like to do this to this screen, although I might try it on wall.

Garry

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in addition the sanyo supporte progressive

5. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Metric

I understand the MT3 does not support progressive,I have been told by one dealer that differences in pictures produced this way especially with my Pioneer 737,and that the only real difference is produced by the Iscan processing chip inside. Please correct me if im wrong.

6. Simon E

Simon E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digiman,

Where did you order the MT3 from for £1999? I haven't seen it that cheap.

Thanks

7. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a fixed screen from Owl. It measures 2m by 1.5m (viewable diagonal is 100"). I'm happy with the black levels I get from the Sanyo, but if I wasn't I would certainly consider a grey screen or wall.

I'm sure you will be pleased with your MT3. The spec seems very good and £2000 is a great price. Let us know what it's like when you get it.

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Guys

What are your viewing distances and screen sizes and can you see the chicken wire effect/panel structure with either of these projectors.

I ask because I am planning to get a projector when finances allow but am leaning towards higher res panel projectors such as the Sony 10HT/11HT,Sanyo PLV60 because of the aformentioned 'chicken wire'. I too cannot demo either projector properly anywhere within 100 miles of my home and don't have the time to travel farther afield. I did however get to see a PLV30 in an A/v section of a department store projecting onto a frosted glass partition.(they didn't sell projectors-it was just for 'show')I couldn't really judge picture quality under these circumstances obviously but from where I was standing which appoximated to my probable home viewing distance, I could easily make out the panel structure and found it very distracting. Is this something you don't see when the projector is set up properly at home? or do you sit far enough away not to see it? or do you just not notice it anymore?

If I found that the chickenwire was not visible under normal conditions then I would definately think seriously about one of these projectors as by all accounts they seem to offer tremendous value for money and I could probably afford to get one a lot sooner then if I waited to save enough for one of the more expensive projectors.

9. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think dlp is not affected by chicken wire due to it using mirrors...but im not sure

10. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reply Simon E

Where did you order the MT3 from for £1999? I haven't seen it that cheap.Where did you order the MT3 from for £1999? I haven't seen it that cheap.

I obtained the MT3 from www.avshopdirect.com again another supplier in Scotland, What is it with Scotland, there seems a lot of projector demo and sales rooms up their. Also for you fans that are looking for the Sony VPLVW10HT a allin price of £3759.99 on June offer.