1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Objective reviews of DVI compared to Prog Scan Component

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oakleyspatz, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I've got an Infocus Screenplay 4805 and I'm running it from my DVD player using the component output ( outputting interlaced signal and letting the 4805 do the de-interlacing) I'm very happy with the picture, but i'm considering buying a DVI equipped DVD player ( maybe the Denon 1910 or the Samsung HD745/945) but then I've also got to buy a DVI to M1-DA converter or cable. Are the improvements that good to warrant the additional outlay? Or will the improvements ( if any) be negligible?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Very hard to provide an easy answer .. taking my Pio 868 and Sharp Z200E I can say there's a difference, but that's down to the capabilities of the DVD's scaler when used in DVI mode, if I use plain old 576p like-for-like I begin to find it hard to see differences a lot of the time.

IOW, it's very system specific. In general the quality will be better, but how much is clearly a lot less easy to say.

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Cheers Kragorn, I'll stick with component for the time being!!

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    It is very system specific, i had a Samsung 935 connected via DVI to my Z2 but much preferred my Pio 757 connected via component (if you do a search you will see why as i commented on it at the time).
    I now have a hcpc connected via DVI and i much prefer that to my pio 757.