Question Oberon 5.1 receiver pairing

Gobaz

Novice Member
Hello, i recently got the Oberon 5's with the dali e-9f sub.
Planning to add the Oberon vokal and oberon 1's for back speakers.

Some backstory "can be skipped"
So i went to a hifi store asking what receiver to get and asked if the "Sony STR DN1080" could work in my case.
The clerk told me it was not at all enough to drive them and pointed me to "Marantz SR7013"
So then i went to another store and this clerk told me the other guy dident know what he was talking about and i should get Denon x1700
In the end i got the Denon x1700 since it was more in my pricerange at the moment.
But these store clerks always seem to think the products on hand is the best for obvious reasons..

But i still have the option to return it so i thought why not ask here.

Denon x1700: 80w / channel
Oberon 5: max 150w (88db)

My questions
Is the Denon x1700 enough for Oberon 5.1 setup, and i might upgrade to the Oberon 7 fronts later.
I dont really play very loud music since i live in an apartment, is a "stronger" receiver like the "Denon x3700" overkill in that case?
Dont really need more channels or the extra features.

Would appreciate any help so i can stop stressing about this.. from a clueless guy.. thanks

gibbsy

Go back to the first dealer, the second one doesn't have a clue. The X1700 is certainly a tier below the Sony 1080 and I would not pick it over the Sony and I'm no fan of Sony. The tier competitor of the Sony would be the new X2700 but the X3700 would make a better partner for the Dali's.

There is no such thing as overkill, matching the components of any set up is critical and the 3700 is just about right for the Dalis.

Gobaz

Novice Member
Go back to the first dealer, the second one doesn't have a clue. The X1700 is certainly a tier below the Sony 1080 and I would not pick it over the Sony and I'm no fan of Sony. The tier competitor of the Sony would be the new X2700 but the X3700 would make a better partner for the Dali's.

There is no such thing as overkill, matching the components of any set up is critical and the 3700 is just about right for the Dalis.

This is what i suspected.. Will return it tomorrow then and go for the 3700.
Would Marantz SR6014 be a equally good option you think?
You think these could handle the Oberon 7s aswell?

The 1700 Cuts out sometime when using plex basically dropping the source.. hard to explain. But it made me think it might not be such a good idea to save money on the receiver, like the clerk said "don't waste money one the receiver just buy better speakers" sounded pretty crazy even to me.

Thanks alot for your help!

gibbsy

If you are going to use the receiver for music then the Marantz is better. It will have HDAM circuits which gives Marantz a better performance for stereo music. It will give you 185 watts into the 6 ohms that you require and Marantz guarantee 70% of that power when all channels are driven. That's more powerful than the X3700 and more power is always useful.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’d ignore both and find a used Anthem MRX 710, 510 or 310.

The ARC Genesis room correction is considerably better than that used elsewhere, and they are wonderful musical receivers.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hello, i recently got the Oberon 5's with the dali e-9f sub.
Planning to add the Oberon vokal and oberon 1's for back speakers.

Some backstory "can be skipped"
So i went to a hifi store asking what receiver to get and asked if the "Sony STR DN1080" could work in my case.
The clerk told me it was not at all enough to drive them and pointed me to "Marantz SR7013"
So then i went to another store and this clerk told me the other guy dident know what he was talking about and i should get Denon x1700
In the end i got the Denon x1700 since it was more in my pricerange at the moment.
But these store clerks always seem to think the products on hand is the best for obvious reasons..

But i still have the option to return it so i thought why not ask here.

Denon x1700: 80w / channel
Oberon 5: max 150w (88db)

My questions
Is the Denon x1700 enough for Oberon 5.1 setup, and i might upgrade to the Oberon 7 fronts later.
I dont really play very loud music since i live in an apartment, is a "stronger" receiver like the "Denon x3700" overkill in that case?
Dont really need more channels or the extra features.

Would appreciate any help so i can stop stressing about this.. from a clueless guy.. thanks

What is the pricing for SR6014 and X3700H there in Sweden? I know the Anthem and Arcam are very expensive at Scandinavia.

Those two are almost identical machines apart from HDAM and analog inputs, although X3700H is 2020 model with 8K HDMI 2.1 input and 2outputs and few extra features.

Gobaz

Novice Member
What is the pricing for SR6014 and X3700H there in Sweden? I know the Anthem and Arcam are very expensive at Scandinavia.

Those two are almost identical machines apart from HDAM and analog inputs, although X3700H is 2020 model with 8K HDMI 2.1 input and 2outputs and few extra features.

So i returned the X1600H($723) and got the SR6014($1148)
I dont really see myself needing 8k for some time my projector does not support it anyways.

So now i'm hoping this will improve things i the music department :)
Thanks for the help guys!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So i returned the X1600H($723) and got the SR6014($1148)
I dont really see myself needing 8k for some time my projector does not support it anyways.

So now i'm hoping this will improve things i the music department :)
Thanks for the help guys!

The whole (5.1) system should sound bit better yes. Before you run setup, watch this 9min video to make sure you don´t make amateur mistakes! You have nice system coming, hope you can get the rest of speakers soon and i bet movies will be a joy! :) Subwoofer is on the small side and bit limited what it can do with blockbuster movies, but then again if you have neighbours under you it`s always going to be tricky..

Gobaz

Novice Member
The whole (5.1) system should sound bit better yes. Before you run setup, watch this 9min video to make sure you don´t make amateur mistakes! You have nice system coming, hope you can get the rest of speakers soon and i bet movies will be a joy! :) Subwoofer is on the small side and bit limited what it can do with blockbuster movies, but then again if you have neighbours under you it`s always going to be tricky..

I will have a watch :)

I’m not sure if it’s in my head but it sounds so much better just in stereo mode, lots more omph in the speakers, deeper voices.

One issue that I keep having is signal cutout to monitor when playing 4K video. I’m thinking it’s the hdmi cable(10m) I will replace it with an optical cable today and keep my fingers crossed.
Also I don’t have neighbors below just above with a concrete roof not really sure how loud I can play at night ;) Will find out sooner or later.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

I’m not sure if it’s in my head but it sounds so much better just in stereo mode, lots more omph in the speakers, deeper voices.

One issue that I keep having is signal cutout to monitor when playing 4K video. I’m thinking it’s the hdmi cable(10m) I will replace it with an optical cable today and keep my fingers crossed.
Also I don’t have neighbors below just above with a concrete roof not really sure how loud I can play at night ;) Will find out sooner or later.

Optical cable? No, just get better quality HDMI cable with the option to return it. Usually the cheap one works if the lenght is short, but 10meters is quite long so maybe get something better. I wish i knew some decent brand which is being sold there. Some of them are priced so high..

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

Check out Supra HDMI cables which is local brand. They are not cheapest, but not most expensive. I have their subwoofer cable.

Last edited:

Gobaz

Novice Member
Yeh I had the Supra 4K 60hz one that’s the one that failed on me. I got the Supra optical now. But it’s double the price. Although I could not get 4:4:4 on the last one.
Will update on performance.

Helix Hifi

Optical cables are all the same. Don’t get fooled to buy Audioquest optical cables that cost a lot of money. Like the Vodka optical cable. Believe me I’ve tried it against cheap no name brand optical cables, no difference. The only thing I’ve heard about HDMI cables is that it can cut the picture/sound if they are longer then 10-meter as noted in post before me. I don’t know anything about the new HDIM standards. There’s some new 2.1 models. I don’t remember it know. But I don’t know if you went back to the store and returned the Denon,Marantz? Sorry, a bit confusing post. But the point I’m making is this an amplifier, in case surround receiver that cost around the same class as Arcam SA10 is usually good quality if you chose good brands like Denon, Marantz, Onkyo. Sony is a no go. Don’t worry your Dali don’t need a lot power. It we’ll work great with any amplifier in the budget range, and more pricy amps.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom