1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oasis - Heathen Chemistry

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Oasis-GasPanic, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Rushed down to my local HMV this morning to pick up this album and see if it was as good as I thought it would be. After listening to it twice through I would have to say it was well worth the wait, all but three of the ten song could be singles. Buy IT!!!
    (production ain't bad either considering it was completly produced by the band themselves)

Highly Reccomended:)

2. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't agree with you there, 5 tracks are ok. 2 are good. The sound quality is rubbish. I downloaded this album 2 months ago and have listened to it many many times.
    A mate bought it from HMV and I compared it to my downloaded copy, there is very little difference in quality between the 2 (if any).
    I find it very light, lacking in bass on nearly every track.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I disagree that there is very little difference between the downloaded versions and the retail copy. The retail copy is much better with cleaner sound & crisper vocals. The track listing order has changed and there are many added riffs and piano touches that are not in the downloaded versions, although only on significant listening will you realise this.

I think it's easily Oasis's 3rd best album and possibly on a par with What's the Story? Yes there are a few bland tracks and this is highlighted by the fact there are only 10 tracks on the album. Nevertheless, there are 4 or 5 songs that stand up there with the best Oasis have ever produced. IMO these are (in no particular order):

1. The Hindu Times
    2. Song Bird
    3. Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    4. Born on a Different Cloud
    5. Hung In A Bad Place

Little by Little and She Is Love are two of Noel's best.

There's also a hidden instrumental track that comes on after track 11. Leave it on Play or skip forward to around the 33 mins listening time to hear it.

I saw them live on Sunday night and it was one of the best concerts I'd been to. Not quite as good as seeing them in '96 after What's The Story but certainly their best since. They played 20 tracks, mostly old classics such as Live Forever, Cigerettes and Alcohol, Acquiese and Some Might Say (brilliant surprise). They only played 1 track each of Be Here Now and Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants. D'You Know What I Mean was great live but the highlight of the night was "Born On A Different Cloud". Complete darkness with two single spotlights on Noel & Liam and an amazing atmosphere. They finished with The Who's My generation, an excuse to go nuts in the crowd :D.

This concert was all about the music with very little (understandable) banter from Liam and no silly antics. All in all, a truely great night and I look forward to seeing them again.

:)

4. kezza

kezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Q magazine gave it a bit of a slating as well. They only gave it 2 stars which is normally reserved for the likes of S Club 7 and Steps. I think I'll hold off buying it until I've heard a few more tracks and hence can make a better judgement.

Regards

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Strange that because "Q" raved about many of the tracks in a preview a month ago. Typical reviewers. Still that is their opinion and you should not be influenced by it. Music is a very personal thing and no one else can tell you what to like or dislike. If you like Oasis, you will be pleasantly surprised at the new album and will enjoy it. If you do not like Oasis, there is very little at this stage in their career that will convince you otherwise.

6. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't care what anyone says their still the best Rock 'n' Roll band of this generation!!!:D !!!! (this time tommorrow I'll be sitting outside Finsbury Park waiting to see the masters at work, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've listened to this several times now and I have to say that, overall, it's not the return to form that I had hoped for from the boys. However, there a few good tracks on it that really do hark back to the good old days (my favourite is Stop Crying Your Heart Out), so it's definitely worth owning it for these tracks, if nothing else :)

8. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gas-Panic:How did the gig go?I,m going up on Sunday,what time did it all kick off.Gates open at 2pm,but what time did the first band come on?Was it mostly the new stuff,or were the classics still played.?Cant wait to see The Charlatans again:)

9. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi damtom1,
    The 'warm up' bands wern't bad, the best being Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. As you said the gates do open @ 2pm. I started queing @ 7am but if you to want to get all the way up the front I would start queing @ about 10am at the latest. Oasis them selves were Excellent. They sounded great and played a mixture of great songs inc. Hello, D'you know what I mean, The Hindu Time, Live forever, Cigs&Alc, Born on a different cloud & My generation (dedicated to the late great John Entwistle).

All in All a great Day!!!!!!

Enjoy youself

10. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one....What time did the first band come on?and how tight was security ,with regards to taking in "refreshments";)