1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by mjn, Jun 10, 2005.

1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,545
    What the hell is this crap? :mad: :mad: :thumbsdow

Definately Maybe craps all over it easily.....

2. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Recently bought DM & WTSMG again (previously owned on cassette), in order to re-familiarise myself with them and re-live my college days!

Pretty good overall. good stuff for getting you up & moving first thing in the morning.

DT

3. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    dont believe the truth is not crap! there are some very good songs on there, the album has been equally produced from all members of the band, it is more mature and less raw, in your face style that was definitely maybe. in my opininon it is was never going to be as good as definitely maybe or whats the story morning glory. those two albums defined the 90s and nothing oasis do will be in the same context as those. perhaps you were expecting too much, it took me a couple of listens to enjoy it but now i think its great and better than some of there previous offerings and better than the majority in the charts.
    anyone else got an opinion on this?

4. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Yes :D

totally agree not as good DM or WTSMG but then not much else is.
    Its one of my fav albums of this year so far. Needs a few listens to get into tho for sure.

'The Importance Of Being Idle' is a fantastic track and my favourite tune at the moment :smashin:

It gets the :thumbsup: from me

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Funnily enough I really only like the tracks that Noel is vocal, the sooner he is the main vocalist the better, I just cant be doing with Liams whining-nah. Real shame that Oasis have to carry that vocalist, but I reckon its would be the rehab clinic if he was not involved so you can see Noels dillemma. FWIW Their last album "Songbird" Liam showed on that one track that he can do it, but this album is honking with his content. Noel has always been the better vocalist, in delivery and emotion from his vocal chords.

6. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    It's their best for years, and people really need to stop comparing it to stuff they made 10 years ago as it was a very different time back then and alot has changed and i'm glad to say that oasis have changed with it aswell.

7. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Not comparing it to the early albums (which I have and like), I think the new album is utter tosh. Most of the songs are uninspiring, and when they do try to go somewhere with some emotion, it just sounds so forced. Not to mention the plagiarism alert - the song that sounds like The Stranglers 'Golden Brown' is unbelieveable - something should be done about that one!

Oasis, Coldplay....these were bands that were interesting when they first came out, but 5/10 years down the line, they just don't do anything for me anymore!

Just my opinion :rolleyes:

8. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Polar opposite to my ears. Noel's voice is characterless and unaffecting. Liam is one of the best white vocalist's on the planet. His understated song, 'Guess God Made Me Abel', has a raw soul that Noel couldn't have acheived. You can't honestly say Noel could improve 'Wonderwall' if he sang it instead. Liam's voice can save an iffy song - 'Keep the Dream Alive' being the latest example. That said, I reckon Liam's best isn't with Oasis, but Death In Vegas' "Scorpio Rising". That track is amazing, and he recorded it in one take! The best thing he's done after DM and WTSMG.
    Hopefully, we'll both get our wish - Liam going solo and Noel fronting Oasis. :thumbsup:

9. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Liam is frontman, he has an amazing voice so why does Noel sing on so many songs on DBTT. I felt a bit disappointed with the new album, uninspiring is true. I did like the first three tracks but then the album just trickles out rather lamely into blandness. I heard that Noel apparantly scrapped the first attempt of DBTT when produced by the Dust Brothers. Any truth in this??

Realslimcookie.

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,545
    Perhaps they mixed up the discs, and they released the material that was supposed to be scrapped?

11. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All their albums since What's the Story Morning Glory are really bland.

I think most bands write their best material when they are on the dole and writing songs and playing gigs for fun, without the pressure of a record deal.

Once they have a record deal and are contracted to produce albums, it turns for a fun hobby to work. Also the millionaire lifestyle means that they have other ways of entertaiing themselves instead of writing songs.

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +951
    I love this album every song is first rate IMHO.

Peopel just love to slag off bands when they are succesful.
    If this had been released as a first Album everyone would be sayong its the best thing they ever heard!!

Got the Coldplay album paahh i have heard better music in a lift!!

13. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't get me wrong, my uni years where spent listening to two fantastic albums 'Definatley Maybe' and 'Whats the Story..'. I loved them and these albums inspired a generation. I really want to love the new album but i can't. It is disappointing.. can you see the next single, it doesn't exactly jump out at you unless it is going to be the Stranglers Golden Brown rip off.
    I don't want to knock Oasis as i can put many good memories to their songs.

Regarding the point if DBTT was their first album i don't think it would have got to number one as i think Oasis sold alot of albums just on the name.

Realslimcookie.

14. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Just shows how we all differ in our musical preferences, I think Liam has potential (ie Songbird from the last album was the best tune on it IMHO) and using The Importance Of Being Idle as a similar vocal delivery, I think he is more suited to softer delivery than his “screeching right-ahh” type wailing, anyway for me the best tracks on this album is :

The Importance Of Being Idle : Noel
    Guess God Thinks I'm Abel : Liam
    Part Of The Queue : Noel
    Let There Be Love : Noel & Liam, a great homage to the beatles.

Anyway ever since I heard a b-side on Aquiesce IIRC, called “Better People” Ive been more into Noels singing, I think this band is capable of quite sublime music, rather than the “in yer face” screeching that made them famous, which I enjoyed at the time, DM is a benchmark album as in MG.

15. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,545
    Nope, if an album is crap.....it's crap. It has nothing to do with slagging bands off because they are successful.

I'll be giving the album another chance this weekend....but i doubt it'll change my mind about it.

16. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Did you read this before sending it :D

Y&T still think it's hopeless.

The only Oasis albums I heard and bought are DM and WTSMG. Both far better than anything thats followed but sound like they were recorded in a metal dustbin.

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,334
    I agree totally with that, they should let Liam concentrate on his difficult tambourine solos instead ;) I've always thought that Noel is the one with any spark of talent and Idon't think the band would suffer without Liam giving it some "sunsheeeeine-nah" :D I've got some live MTV stuff they did some years ago on video and thankfully Liam didn't turn up and they are great.
    I only really like the first 2 albums, and have jsut had a quick listen to this one via iTunes online and it doens't do much for me (admittedly you only get a few seconds of each track)

18. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Yep a great concert John and have it myself, I would say that although Noel is the cutting edge behind the band, I think Liam has a side you rarely hear which should be how they go for his input, ie Like Songbird from their last album, just that when the trademark “whinnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeee – nah” come into sonic range I flick off or search for a Noel tune. That trademark continuation of his pronouncing style only became apparent to me after Monring Glory. Once it stick in my mind well it limits my exposure to Oasis songs.

19. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just been listening to DBTT and 'Let there be love' is a very good song, easily the best on the album. Both Noel and Liam have singing parts. So there are two good songs on the album now. Its getting better!

Realslimcookie

20. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +951
    Its my favourite track as well, i have over listened! to the album so am giving it a break for a bit.

still top imo

21. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Listened to this album. I reckon it should have been called "Don't Believe The Hype".

22. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Look here is the Oasis story

1 Make an album containing all your best songs. Anything left over release on b sides. Save a few for the next album in case we don't get dropped by record label. snort more cocaine

2 Oh **** we are massive here is Whatever single to tide the fans over & we will put some superb b sides on it this will keep the fans happy until Whats the story Snort more cocaine

3 release Whats the Story take more cocaine

4 stop taking cocaine & getting ******

5 Aw **** I am in a successful rock band I need to write some groovy songs only I am now a multi millionaire, I am not on the dole, I am not hanging around with scallies, I am no longer nicking stuff or getting ****** or or stoned or young. Oh **** where am I???????

6 Release Be Here Now massive hype might get away with it Liam punches more people more press more hype. Oh crap that album is getting slagged off other band members realise the parties over time to leave & enjoy the fruit of labours. Gallaghers like the celeb style carry it on.

7 just keep on releasing mediocre albums but Liam can still get into fights which will still create curiosity value so people will go to massive open air gigs.

I like Oasis, I have all the albums I have seen them many times.

No future album will ever match Definately Maybe it was of the moment by people trapped in a one way out of the gutter.

Well just my tuppence anyhow.

Regards

Gary

23. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Gary wonderful post.

24. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    I went off Oasis after seeing them live for the second time 2002 (first time was in 1998 for the 'be here now tour) i think it was, they arrived on stage, pranced about, just managed to finish the songs, waved and went off stage with so much arrogance you wouldnt believe it (oh, and that is the truth :D ). After the conclusion of that concert i havent bought any thing theyve made since, after being a fan of their music.