O2 wireless box III

ash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have ordered the premium (middle) package and that comes with O2 wireless box II but I want the O2 wireless box III, will O2 let me have it if I pay?

How much of an improvement is n-wireless range?

I believe the transfer rates over short range are far greater but quickly diminish to wireless g rates once you start going any distance. Although total distance when in open air is apparently 3x better I would very much doubt that in home usage.

I use 200mb homeplugs now as much as possible which may be a better solution depending on what your ultimate goal is to achieve.

this is a reply i got backby e-mail. I thought buisness is buisiness

Thanks for getting back in touch.

As my colleague has already said, the N router is only available on the O2 Broadband Pro package, and can't be purchased separately for any other package.

I hope this has answered your question.

Kind Regards

Ryan
Broadband Customer Liaison Advisor
O2 Broadband - Home and Mobile Broadband, made better
0800 230 0202 - we're open 24/7 to take your call.

The last thing you want is the o2 wirelessBox III.
Port forwarding with this device is virtually impossible.
It constantly changes your devices names to o2wirelessBox,
Then when you select this device for portforwarding it does not allow you, it just refreshes the page and your back to square one. O2 state there is a firmware fix in the pipeline but they have been saying this since january.
Awful piece of kit.

The last thing you want is the o2 wirelessBox III.
Port forwarding with this device is virtually impossible.
It constantly changes your devices names to o2wirelessBox,
Then when you select this device for portforwarding it does not allow you, it just refreshes the page and your back to square one. O2 state there is a firmware fix in the pipeline but they have been saying this since january.
Awful piece of kit.

Just to add, the O2 box is the worst router ever invented.... I've configured many in the past, belkin, linksys (with dd-wrt), netgears etc.

for an O2 LLU line a Netgear DG834GT is perfect.

Just to add, the O2 box is the worst router ever invented.... I've configured many in the past, belkin, linksys (with dd-wrt), netgears etc.

for an O2 LLU line a Netgear DG834GT is perfect.
I've ordered the DG834G V4. I heard that is good for o2.

Im having a lot of port forwarding probs with my version one box so thinking of going to Belkin, Linksys or Netgear.

USed to have and old Netgear 834 but wireless range was terrible and thats the one good thing about the Thompson o@ box.

ANyone got any recommendations?

Im having a lot of port forwarding probs with my version one box so thinking of going to Belkin, Linksys or Netgear.

USed to have and old Netgear 834 but wireless range was terrible and thats the one good thing about the Thompson o@ box.

ANyone got any recommendations?

I'm using a Netgear DG834PN on my O2 LLu line and it works flawlessly. You can also tweak the Noise margin to get "that little bit extra" download speed out of it.

I can get 10.6Mbps steady d/l from Newsgroups on a 42dB Attn line.

DG834N and DGN2000 are also pretty good. I've not tried them but the DG834GT, DG834 V4 or V5 are also meant to be compatible.

Same issue. Moved from Sky to O2 (£5 cheaper from Jan 2010). Also nigh on impossible to do any configuration on Wireless Box 2.

Is there not a username and password for O2 buried in the box though?

i wanted the same thing as you did, i had o2 standard but wanted the wireless box III which i got after i said il leave and go to bt as they provide me with a better router. however the wireless box III was really bad, with losing connection, port forwarding, etc so i went back to the wireless box II

Right i am peed off with this router and came close tonight smashing it to bits as it keeps disconnecting/freezing plus ALWAYS resetting my ports i forwarded to specific pc's.

It also randomly assigns the COMPUTERS NAME with a complete different MAC CODE! for example, i have a laptop called jono and a htpc called "htpc" yet when i click on the htpc from the bebox routers UI it points to the LAPTOP

I have had this bebox freeze 4 times in less than an hour, all trying to connect and play a bit of uncharted 2 on my PS3!!!

I give up with this crap, i need another router! any advice on one thats fully compatible with "BeThere" and the cheapest?

would this work? http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Netgear-ADSL-54Mbps-Wireless-Modem-Firewll-Router-(Version-5)

i might consider ebay as i read here before how ebay are sellinga very cheap netgear router their. never used ebay before though and with the postal strike, i dont think i will unless ebay deliver goods via city link or something?

would this work? Netgear (DG834G-500UKS) ADSL 54Mbps Wireless Modem Firewll Router (Version 5) - Scan.co.uk

i might consider ebay as i read here before how ebay are sellinga very cheap netgear router their. never used ebay before though and with the postal strike, i dont think i will unless ebay deliver goods via city link or something?

There's a list here of compatible ( and not ) routers.

ADSL24 use the O2/be infrastructure so the list is valid for Be LLU.

S'funny never had a problem with my O2 Wireless box II. I've got several spare DG834GT's kicking around and planned to swap it for one of these but haven't bothered swapping it out yet :rolleyes:

My LAN is fairly complicated with a mix of Wi-fi/Wired/Wi-Fi access points/multiple switches with the Thomson O2 box sitting in the middle as the WAN gateway/DHCP server and works faultlessly.

I've also found the Wi-fi signal on the O2 box is quite a bit stornger than the DG834GT

S'funny never had a problem with my O2 Wireless box II. I've got several spare DG834GT's kicking around and planned to swap it for one of these but haven't bothered swapping it out yet :rolleyes:

My LAN is fairly complicated with a mix of Wi-fi/Wired/Wi-Fi access points/multiple switches with the Thomson O2 box sitting in the middle as the WAN gateway/DHCP server and works faultlessly.

I've also found the Wi-fi signal on the O2 box is quite a bit stornger than the DG834GT
WOW you are like the first person i have come across to who says they never had any issues with their bebox across 3 different forums i go on:eek:

I've just got O2 broadband and have the Wireless box II. It works ok when it's using a wired connection (the yellow plug ethernet cable), but when I unplug it and try using a wireless connection it won't connect and says that I have Limited Access or Limited Availability or something like that. Does anyone know how I can connect wirelessly? It's starting to p*ss me right off! :mad:

I do have a Netgear 834N and I can't get that to work either, I go through the wizard set up and it says something like it can't recognise the ISP and I have to input everthing manually, I don't know where to start.

I'm a total noob when it comes to routers/ISPs etc! :suicide:

I've just got O2 broadband and have the Wireless box II. It works ok when it's using a wired connection (the yellow plug ethernet cable), but when I unplug it and try using a wireless connection it won't connect and says that I have Limited Access or Limited Availability or something like that. Does anyone know how I can connect wirelessly? It's starting to p*ss me right off! :mad:
It is nothing to do with the O2 box as such. It is caused by interference from other networks. Read the many threads on these forums on using inSSIDer to fix it.

As to the Netgear box. Do a factory reset. Go to 192.168.01 and logon as admin. (User = admin, Password = password.) Allow the box to detect the Network Setting and then enter your o2 User Name and Password when asked.

Does anyone know how to put a specific device in the DMZ when using the O2 Wireless Box III? I am having real problems connecting to people when playing online FIFA on the PS3. I have port-forwarded all those required but still getting very inconsistent results when connecting, so I want to dry using the DMZ.

I've read there is 'no DMZ' as such but instead you use the 'Assign the public IP address of a connection to a device' option. When I try this, I get the message 'No compatible connection found', so I'm back to square one!

Hmm, well port forwarding works fine on mine, never had any problems. I did buy a D-Link 2740R to replace it as it will crash occasionally but the 2740R doesn't like O2 :(

Port-forwarding is easy, don't know what the trouble is? I use static IPs for my server and desktop, everything else is DHCP and works fine.

I also had problems with the router and put it down to it not liking O2, after trying everything and monitoring all sorts, mostly SNR, I found that the problem was EMI (confirmed by my scope meter) via the power supply.

Filtered and isolated now, rock steady connection. Also it's far better than the horrid Netgear DGN2000 i bought to compare it to.

I have been on o2 premium since may last year using the o2 boxII, It is only recently i have been having problems with limited conectivity and losing the connection I went into my router setting and noticed that there was a few routers that were on the same channelso i set mine to channel 11 which noone else is on but was stil having probs, so i called o2 about this who decided to run tests on the line after resetting my router and downgrading to an older version of firmware as they thought this may also be the problem they have now told me that it is down to too much noise on the line, they changed some setting and ran the test for another week then called me back to see how it was going, but i was still losing connection a few times a day, he said to fix the problem that they would have to limit my bandwidth to obtain a more stable connection i said no to that straight away, But as soon as i said i game online wirelessly on the connection he said oh the o2 boxII is not upto that we will send you out the o2 boxIII which is what you need for online gaming, I haven't recieved it yet it will be here this week so i hope i dont have any problems that i have been reading about...Since speaking to o2 whenever i have had connection issues (limited connectivity) i have opened the available connection on win7 and noticed that it always happens when a Thompson956*** comes live and visible and i lose my connection as long as that connection is active........

I've got the o2 package with the version II of the router. Im unclear whether its the router or something else, but since I went to O2 the quality of my line is awful. Keeps dropping when Im listening to Napster via Sonos.

Am I right in saying that O2 wont support you if you use a different router?

Ideally Im looking for an 'N' wireless solution as Id like to chuck files from the NAS over to my TV (which has wireless) - any suggestions?

Same issue. Moved from Sky to O2 (£5 cheaper from Jan 2010). Also nigh on impossible to do any configuration on Wireless Box 2.

Is there not a username and password for O2 buried in the box though?

I have just taken out O2 Pro package, can't confirm the quality of the router, as have only had it for a few days.

But have just gotten off the phone from O2 they do have a password for unlocking some of the background settings.

Username: SuperUser (casesensitive)
Password: (your box serial number with all letters in caps) or O2Br0ad64nd (this worked for me on TG585n box).

Hope this is of help to someone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom