1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O2 upgrade. I bluffed, they called it!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Jules, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Very disappointed.
    I'v been on a contract with O2 for about 8 years or so, and I'm not getting a good deal compared to what's available now.

Anyway, in an attempt to get a new handset (Motorola V3) and an identical tariff that is available on O2's website for new customer, I rang up to cancel my existing contract unless they agreed to match their own deal.

To my suprise, they agreed to cancel the contract and said the only way I'd get that deal was to apply online. They did offer me a cheaper a handset, but I refused.
    The same deal is available from phones4u on o2with £80 cashback.

General opinion seems to be that threatening to cancel prompts them to give spectacularly good deals in attempt to keep you.
    What did I do wrong to be turned away so easily?

I've never missed a payment, and they've probably made a ton of money out of me over the years.
    Are phones4u any good?

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Sorry to here that, worked for Me!

Think it helps if you don't want the very latest phone and I think it depends on whether the Operator and Line manager you speak to have met their Quota already that week.

May be worth checking the O2 online tariffs where you pay a bit for the phone though before you just go for the free handset option as the are some good Tariffs you canonly get from O2 direct online, e.g. £19 for 50xnet mins 500txts or £25 for 100xnet mins and 500 txts.

You can save a few quid in the long run

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Well, I just signed up to an O2 online tarriff.
    200 mins x network and 500 free texts, plus of course a free Motorola V3.
    30 pound per month.

I'm almost paying that on my existing contract now and getting naff all for it.

Crazy! They now have to process my new contract, cancel my old one and send me a portability code... with all the expense that that must create.
    Surely someone must see sense that it would be far cheaper to just give me the same deal on my existing contract. :suicide:

PS.. am I right in thinking that if I don't like the V3, I can send it back within 14 days?

4. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must be pot luck, I have just upgraded my sons contract from online off peak 300 (300 off peak mins + 500 txts) £20 month. I rang CS and converted the 300 Off Peak to 100 Anytime + 500 txts (They agreed to double the 50 mins offer when I mentioned 3) for the same money. They also initially wanted £212 for a SE S700i but agreed to do it at the Website price of £79-99.

When we checked the bill we got the phone free. They charged £212 and then showed a credit of £212 instead of £132 :clap:

Other sons contract is coming up for renewal at the end of April so end of March I'll be on the phone again - Hope it's the same advisor :rolleyes:

5. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
    O2 online is different from O2 in the shops, they dont talk to one another it would seem. If you were asking O2 for 1 of their online tariffs to upgrade they wouldnt have been able to help you because it nothing to do with them.

Maybe if you'd have gone for one of their own tariffs they'd have been more accommodating?

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So, you went from one O2 tarif to another O2 tarif with a better rate, conditions ?

I think if you threatened to move to from O2 to Orange, you might have had better luck. At the end of the day, they've still got your custom, it might have been different if threatened with leaving them completely.

Richie.

7. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Under the distance selling regulations you are entitled to return it within 7 days.

8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    The O2 online/O2 shop thing always seems a bit mad to me, my wife recently moved to online from a shop tariff because of the extra txts on the online tariff.

She had to cancel old contract then take out new online tariff and get a PAK code etc.. to move her number from O2 to O2!

Must be an easier way!

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    My new Motorola V3 arrived today.
    Just thought I'd say that I previously owned a V50 and thought the interface was a disastrous incomprehensible mess. I owned only Nokias since and was nervous about getting the V3.

The V3 is a belting little phone, and the interface is very easy. Actually, I'd go as far as to say it is as easy if not easier than a Nokia.
    Motorola have clearly been working hard and Nokia should be worried.

10. SI0UXSIE

SI0UXSIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES! Although they can't always match o2 online deals (just like 02 can't!) they'll always do their best to make you buy from them. They were able to show me how I was on the wrong tariff -(£25 - off peak mins but my bills were more like £70) but working out my usage and how much extra I could avoid spending - they really ask questions to make sure you're getting the right tariff - and secondly the phone that will suit!
    The first time i went to their shop I didn't bring the right ID - so they offered me £10 to cover the cost of travel to come back - I also got a bluetooth headset and car charger for free - and now my bills come in at £40 - which is the cost of my tariff!

they are great! :thumbsup:

11. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I tried an upgrade with O2 today, purely down to the fact that my daughters v200 that she saved up for, has just died after 3 months (ebay jobbie!).So I thought along the lines of giving her my Sammy D410,and going for a D500.

Went into the o2 shop, with my daughters crapped out v200, and with my sim, and explained that it had died, and could they do an upgrade, as I was without a phone.

They initially quoted £129.00 for a D500 on an upgrade, which seemed more than a little high, compared to the fact that they were giving it "free", to new customers. I explained that I'd go back to Orange as a new customer (their shop was about 50 ft away!), if they couldn't better the deal. They put me through to customer services, where I explained the situation, but they couldn't better the deal, even after explaining that I was prepared to go else-where.

Having finished the phone call, I was just about to bid my farewells with o2, when the girl had a change of heart. She explained that if I cancelled my existing contract, and came back as a new customer, they'd "give" me a D500 for nothing, and I could go on the same tariff as I was currently on.

So the sum result is, they've lost one customer, and then gained the same one back again.

Bloody madness. :rolleyes: :confused:

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I always cancel at the end of the year

http://www.e2save.com/mobile/phones/offers.php?&bbcam=&bbkid=&x
    (aka carphone warehouse online)

3 are doing a cheapy phone with 500 mins anytime/network + 100 texts per month for £60 A YEAR. You do have to claim money back at various stages, but you can't beat the price.

13. -=Sniper=-

-=Sniper=-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of had my way with o2, I am on sim only contract, after starting with a normal contract now I get 200mins + 500txt every month for £15/month which is quite good. I still might cancel though.

14. SI0UXSIE

SI0UXSIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no doubt the online deals are great - but I only go to the stores now, because when I had on o2 online deal and something went wrong there was no support! It was awful! I guess the prices are only so cheap because there is no one to pay - except a few computer programmers! And when i did call there Cust. Services it was something like £2.50 per min for support! I don't mind paying for a reasonable deal (and I've found Phones4U care the most about keeping customers at least) -it means if something does happen I can go in and force someone to help! - (and most often they do!)

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have 4 contract phones from 3 in the family.
    One went wrong, so I phoned 3 (in india) at 3p a minute. 10 mins later and exchange had been arranged. (total cost to me 30p)
    Courier arrived next day with replacement phone, take it out of packaging, insert broken phone in packaging. Done.

Can't get much better than that (can it?)

16. Light

Light

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How have you managed that?

17. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    i have worked for vodafone as an accounts manager in the saves team (when customers want to leave we try and save them and we do extra special deals as such)
    and one thing i would sugest you do is always cancel your contract after 12 months just bring your number to your new contract.
    at vodafone we were all indevidually targeted and as such were paid against that.
    heres the low down:
    to be on target give no more than £135 worth of hargware away, english if you want a nokia 0500 (around £480) youl have to pay the difference!!! now its an average per cust so if we were to say give you a phone that costs £50 (under our target) and charged you for the £50 for the phone we would have the £135 to balance it out for the next customer, bearing in mind most half decent phones cost price is more than our target price so you wont get the phone for free if you want an ok one, unless the sales person doesnt want their OTE that month,
    many customers say "ive beeen with them for years"
    they dont care! your only worth the average of your last 3 months! no more no less!
    now they consider your last 3 months avg with regards to the cost of your handset, theres no max price per handset other than the cost price but the less you spend the higher the min cost of the handset will be!!!!!!
    what tends to happen is a high value customer who spends lets say £400 a month wants the nokia 9500 wants it free as i beleive they should be intitled too rings up for upgrade.
    now the good news is the min price were allowed to sell that phone to a cust spending more than £80 a month is £0.00 (spending more than avg £80 a month means your high value customer) where as it may be £200 min cost to cust spending £40, but!!!!!!! because of the sales persons target of spending avg £135 per cust on hardware they wont take the knock of the sale! so u will be fobbed off! you will not get the phone as the rep wants their commision!
    i often heard reps generally feeling sorry for the cust but they could not afford to do the deal themselves, so theyd ask around to see if any one can take the knock of giving £400 odd pounds worth of hardware away (no 1 can)
    in the end the cust goes!
    they advertise the hastle of changing your number etc but you can transfer it in around one week!

theres allso targets for the amount of discounts on line rental etc they give away too but in total its give £135 in hardware and £115 discounts both of these are max! you must pay the difference.
    sounds confusing but your worthless as a customer and its rubbish! its not the reps fault its the higher managment setting hard and unreachable targets for the reps and they are forced to choose between feeding theyre family or giving the customer what they deserve.
    safe to say when i decided to leave in my last week i didnt care abd it was a free for all, for all the customers that deserve it!

always leave!!!!!
    ps we could not compete at all with 3! so we had to comment of theyre bad coverage, but when they dont get the 3 network they behind the scenes revert back to 02 so unless you always make video calls you never notice lol.

18. Darren555

Darren555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same situation. I have had an online 200 contract for a few years now & am due a phone upgrade. Generally my bills don't exceed the £30 per month contract. I want to upgrade my phone to a Nokia 7610 or a Samsung D500 & they want £100 out of me. How can losing my custom be better that giving me the phone? Does anyone know if I can cancel my contract with O2 online & then re-apply with O2 online, transfering my number over? I have looked at Vodaphone's online deals but the good ones are 18 months long & you can't bring a number accross with you. Anyone got any suggestions?

Darren

19. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    check the online order form for the neww cotract, and look where it mentions transfering your number, if it asks for a PAC code then cancel your 02 contract request your pac code and order your new contract, ul still have ur old phone and number active for 30 days (notice period) and your new phone will have a temp number till the transfer is complete so you will be paying 2 line rentals at once for a month but thats a whole lot cheaper than the upgrade fee! and it means u will have constant contact on the number everyone knows u by.
    never except new equipment from ur mobile operator unless its a warranty sort of issue as they only supply new hardware with more commitment , and you can upgrade equipment during last 90 days of contract but thatl then meen ul get a new phone then but ul be straight into another 12/18 month contract after the 90 days, which potentially means being stuck to the same contract and phone for upto for nearly 2 years!

20. scottydog

scottydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been on o2 online for years and average about £30 a month. They wanted a fortune to upgrade to a V3 so I got one from T-mobile. When I phoned to cancel o2 they decided to give me a free V3 + 200 anytime mins + 500 texts for £20. A new phone and a £10 reduction! Sorry T-mobile. Their phone went back and amazingly they didn't charge a penny even for postage.

21. hardiz

hardiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    when it comes to upgrades mobile companies generally work out a price of an upgrade on how much you have spent with them in the last 3-6 months.
    (£80+a month being classed as high value)
    If you cancel and then sign up with a new number(or get your pac code to move to another network) you are treated as a "new customer" and get the best deal on a phone. The network does not know how much you are going to spend as you are a "new" customer so they offer you the incentive of a free phone to sign you up.
    So if you want to get a new phone each year at the best price you are better off to get a PAC code and move to another network or take a new number.

22. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    I got an XDA2s FOC as an upgrade by threatning to move to Orange, only spend £25 a month and only had contract for twelve months?

Price for this phone as a new customer was £179. so it's always worth checking the upgrade path first

23. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

ive been with orange for nearly 7 years now and every year say im gonna quite and go PAYG and every year they put an offer on the table i cannot refuse.
    Last year was a P900 foc & now this year when i was adament i was gonna quite i called to cancel and without any bartering or hagglng they offered me a new Samsung E720 (very nice) 500 crossnet mins and 150 inclusve texts a month guarenteed for 18months......All for only £25inc. vat based on a 12mth contract

What did i do??? Yet again i bought it hook line and sinker!! Not a bad deal i guess though!!!

CH

What

24. purecharmer

purecharmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant believe the deals three are doing at the moment 3.99 for 500 voice minutes, amazing. but are they too good to be true they are advertised on esaver.com but no mention of them at all on three's own website. i also notice that where as contracts use to be 12 months, in the small print most contracts have been changed to 18 months~ something there keeping quiet about. And what ever happened to o2 free pay online sims surely they were making a fortune by giving them away alot more than charging 10 pounds! nobody likes to pay out a tenner then have to wait up to 28 days for delevery! its like down the bingo hall (mecca) ont he days they do free bingo they tripple there profits by what people spend on food drink fruit machines and cash line , so they can afford to give 1500 of free bingo away no probs.

chris

25. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    i can't speak for O2 online support but Orange have been exceptional in every aspect. Where a phone has been playing up or lost or stolen they have replaced it within 12hrs.

You can always reach them by phone free of charge and external to your inclusive mins and get a problem resolved. They now even have a special personal adviser service (kind of a AMEX gold service thing) so you don't even have to go through a digital menu just straight to a advisor.

i've always found the shops uncompetative and unable to beat great deals. The recent deal i have been offered i've tried to get O2/Vodafone/Tmobile to match online and instore and no-one can!?

i found phones4u have a poor reputation of being abit scandalous in the past and definitely misleading so wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Did they not appear on WatchDog before for misleading customers!??

CH

26. Ms2hot2touch

Ms2hot2touch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've been with 02 for about 5yrs and every year I bluff to cancel my contract and its always worked.

:lesson: In Feb I told them I was offered a better deal from Vodafone and at first they just offered to match it but when I declined I asked them to send my PUK code so that I can transfer my number and I was put on hold, then they offered £100 credit on my bill, still I declined and then I was offred Samsung D500, I still declined then they said they would send the PUK code out in the post, a few days later they called me and offered me a choice of the V3, A New Nokia or the brand new XDA2S FREE, my existing 20% of my line rental (which I got the previous year) to continue for a further 12mnts, double txt and mins for 6mnths so I now get 800min 300txt which roll over for 3mnths at a time, and no charges for itemised bills. So i agreed to stay with them and took the XDA2S (which is brill) but even last year from July - Nov their system crashed and I wasn't charged for any bills for 4mnths......................

I love 02, sorry it didn't work for you :oops: ............... what was the outcome have you changed your network?

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't know why phone companies have to be so intractable. I have been on the Vodaphone 200 tarrif for well over a year, and I rang Vodaphone to see if I could upgrade my Nokia 3510i to a Moto V3. They said I couldn't, offering me an inferior Moto phone. So I signed up with O2, with their "Free V3" deal, and they declined !

So in the end, I bought my own V3. I was so mad at Vodaphone that in the meantime I had asked for a migration code, and a week later they rang me to ask why I wanted to leave Voda. I explained why, and they offered me a free V3 ! In the end I got the next 12 months tarriff at half price. This hasn't endeared Vodaphone to me, and next year I will not be so soft with them.

28. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    That's nothing.

I'm paying £30/month, and when it came time to renue, I didn't want to pay an extra £100 for a decent phone. After I asked to cancel, she waved the £100 new phone charge, and offered double minutes for 6 months. When I still didn't accept the offer, the girl, who presumably hadn't reached her monthly quota, sent me a picture message of her in the call centre, with her top open, and an offer to personally deliver the phone, and ensure I was satisfied. I can't falt the offer.

29. roadtorode

roadtorode
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went through exactly the same with O2 over the V3. They did try a number of times to keep me, and up'ed the quality of the upgrade handsets - but nowhere near a V3, but would not match their own online deal, so I switched - not a problem as I'm not too precious about my number. I have been with them MANY years, but there final comment was "well Mr X, you're not a particularly heavy user", which makes me think they put absolute revenue well above customer loyalty - blimey, I'd not even taken any upgrades from them before. Seems to be a slightly scewy approach to customer care, even though I know their key driver is profit.

30. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't match Triggaaar's offer (Not sure if it's true, can you post the picture ? :) ) but, I'm on Your Plan 200 (£30) with a second handset for the wife (£15). I called Orange wanting my PUK number to transfer and got offered an extra 200 minutes, a V3 for me and a cheap upgrade for my wife.

After a bit of haggling I got 200 extra minutes totalling 400, 120 free texts, a V3 and a 7610 for the wife.

At last look, we only use 150 minutes a month and around 80 texts !

Richie.