O2 to start charging for 08nn numbers for everyone

andykn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just had a text from O2 saying that, from the 28th Sep, they will start to charge for 0844 & 0845 and similar numbers even if they were free under your original tariff:

http://www.o2.co.uk/specialnumbers

I'm not at all impressed, it was only this offer that stopped me from going to a network with proper data tariffs.

Was dead handy for ringing Sky too.

Crooks.

That sucks, just to clarify is it that they now arent included in your minutes and will be charged onto of your bill, i used to use my mobile for all the 08xx cos they came out of my minutes :(

if they change the terms and conditions midway through the contract, you have a legal right to cancel your contract without any 'side-effects'.

read paragraph 11:

1. 11.1 Subject to clause 11.4 below we may increase or decrease our Charges at any time (including the introduction of charges for aspects of the Service previously provided free). Where we increase the Charges for the elements of the Service you are using we will notify you before the changes become effective. Notification will be via text message or by email (if you have registered your email address with us).
2. 11.2 We reserve the right to change our terms and conditions of Service from time to time. We will notify you of any changes to these terms by posting them on our website at www.o2.co.uk/terms. In addition to this we may also notify you by messages on our IVR top-up system, messages via the Service (such as voicemail, text or media message) by means of national advertising campaigns or by email.
3. 11.3 If we vary any of the Charges or change the terms and conditions to your disadvantage, you may stop using the Service.
4. 11.4 We will not notify you of call charges for premium rate services operated by third parties. Details of these charges and any changes will be available on our website (http://www.o2.co.uk/premiumnumberpricing). Please check these before calling premium rate numbers.

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/yourairtimecontract

some other networks are doing the same. i know orange does. see this:
Calls to 08 numbers are not included in any Orange pay monthly plans and will be charged – with the exception of calls to charity helplines. Please see below for further details.
http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/yourplan/buildyourplan/online

That sucks, just to clarify is it that they now arent included in your minutes and will be charged onto of your bill, i used to use my mobile for all the 08xx cos they came out of my minutes :(

I signed up for O2 over the other networks because they included 0845 and 0870 numbers in your minutes. From 28th Sep they won't.

Saynoto0870 is a great website, but not having to bother, and for the numbers where there is no alternative, I really liked the option.

I knew things like this would happen. All the networks are being made to reduce their international calls. it was obvious they would find other areas to get the money back.

I just called up O2 and they put me on a rolling contract for £15 a month with 200 minutes and 200 texts.

I'm about 6 months into my 18 contract and now free to leave at any time :D

Yep, I'm 7 months into an 18 month contract.

I rang them re cancellation over the 0845/0870 terms because I definately want to cancel.

At first they said '02 can change the T&Cs at any time with 30 days notice'.
But after I quoted 11.3 above they backed down and agreed I could cancel without penalty.

They then transferred me throught to the cancellations department who had closed an hour earlier! :mad:

So I'll definately be back on the phone to them in morning. Then I'm either going PAYG or will switch to a different network contract.

That tariff you were given is a no-monthly contract deal anyway :)

I know, was on ÂŁ35 a month before, not that I use my phone that much I just wanted it for the N95.

What happens with the handset if you dont see out the term of the contract ?

Thanks all for the help earlier.

I rang the Carphone Warehouse O2 line who, after a little prompting, confirmed that I could cancel if I wanted and did not have to hand the handset back.

I remember this soap opera from the T-mobile days...

If you want to cancel, get in there quick as they will start getting stroppy once they realise loads of people are getting phones for free...

Pity I'm at the end of my 12 months, or I'd do it as well - was nice getting 0870s for free.

You should be able to keep it. At least that's the impression I had.

I got it confirmed with o2 this morning that I can cancel 7 months into my 18 month contract.
So I've just dropped them an email as written confirmation (something they insist on), and now need to look for a decent new deal with someone else.

I'll refer everyone to THIS THREAD
It's long, but worth a read, and will answer everyones questions.
In summary, YES, YOU CAN CANCEL!!!

Great. I actually do phone 0845 number quite frequently, and due to a new position this would grow, so i was bleeding fuming when i got the text the other day. I assumed there was nothing i could do about it. So today i called O2 and they told me that they would not let me cancel unless i did the standard by out. My T&C's say "Significant disadvantage (in our reasonable opinion)" and they told me that they did not consider the amount of 0845's i have called so far to be significant - and just told me to go onto saynoto0870.com, which i know for a fact does not contain all the number i need (for a very good reason, they are sensitive departments). How do they know is was not planning to make quite a lot of 0845 numbers in the next few months, which i am? And how do they judge what is a significant amount of money for a person?

This has really got my goat now.

I think o2 might be getting more of these cancellations than they bargained for and are getting tetchy. I doubt very much whether what they have said to you carries any weight whatsoever.

'Their opinion' is just that, and would not stand up too well to scrutiny if it led to a legal battle.

No, I think if you apply the pressure back and stick to your guns they will crumble. In fact I'm sure they'd have to.

Autopilot: That term significant disadvantage, is actualy useless. The T+C's you signed, state that these calls are included, and they have changed them materially.... How do they know how much you are going to use them? State the section of the T+C's, (read that thread I linked to above, there's LOADS of info in there...) recite the relevant portion to them, and put them on the spot, ask them how they know how it will affect you in the future.

Quote the section, they WILL fold.

I know, I've just done it. I've not phoned any, as I had a company phone I used for that, but I've just agreed a deal to give me an allowance instead, and then I got the text... was not happy. I put it in an email, got a call back... job done.

Hi all,
I've just succesfully cancelled my 02 contract through CPW, with 8 months remaining, as i used 0845 quite frequently they did'nt even question it.

My girlfriend also has a ÂŁ40 12 month contract with 02 online, they gave her 400 minutes and 1000 texts for the remaining 7 months of her contract for a reduced ÂŁ20 a month so she did'nt cancel.

Quite pleased with the result and surprised i did'nt even have to argue:thumbsup:

Rick

If at first you don't suceed, try and try again.

The first person I spoke to gave me the right run around, culminating with telling me to go into my local shop for them to point out the relevant T&Cs and if they couldn't find them, to get them to ring and then they'd cancel.

Once the shop they rang, they passed the phone to me and the person I spoke to then said that if he'd dealt with me first time round he would have cancelled without the hoo ha.

It does look like you do need a few 08nn numbers on recent bills. The point I made to the first rep was that even the one 30 min call (to Sky) I could find would have been 6 quid, 20% on top of a 35 quid monthly contract.

PAC code on its way, hurrah.

Well it need to be the retentions dept you speak to as it appears thay are the only ones who have been properly breifed.

Have spoken to about 6 people this morning....eveyone saying that I couldnt cancel as I haven't used the "service" in the last 6 month.I answered so your admitting that your removing a "service" :D. Having been sure i'd called those number I checked my bill. Get this the number you call customer services on (CPW) is 0870! (didnt notice as is saved in my fone as customer services) anyway had made somewhere in the region of 20 mins worth of calls in the last month. Under the new terms that would be an extra ÂŁ4.00 every month. I argued that this was a relativly quiet month and before long they were agreeing to cancel my contract

Nokia 8600 1 month after upgrade :thumbsup:

Time for a new deal...maybe on a sony ericsson k850i :thumbsup:

thanks for the heads up!

Can anyone give me a link of the Ts&Cs relevant for this to write a letter, btw I am not a CPW O2 user, normal and direct with O2.

Thanks

Can anyone give me a link of the Ts&Cs relevant for this to write a letter, btw I am not a CPW O2 user, normal and direct with O2.

have you tried calling them? You shouldn't have to write a letter.

Well it need to be the retentions dept you speak to as it appears thay are the only ones who have been properly breifed.

Have spoken to about 6 people this morning....eveyone saying that I couldnt cancel as I haven't used the "service" in the last 6 month.I answered so your admitting that your removing a "service" :D. Having been sure i'd called those number I checked my bill. Get this the number you call customer services on (CPW) is 0870! (didnt notice as is saved in my fone as customer services) anyway had made somewhere in the region of 20 mins worth of calls in the last month. Under the new terms that would be an extra ÂŁ4.00 every month. I argued that this was a relativly quiet month and before long they were agreeing to cancel my contract

Nokia 8600 1 month after upgrade :thumbsup:

Time for a new deal...maybe on a sony ericsson k850i :thumbsup:

thanks for the heads up!

Don't use the Cust serv no as an argument. I think it will still be free.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom