1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O2 sim in a Vodafone mobile

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Wingnut, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably a bit of a newbie question (well I am), but is it possible to use a O2 sim in a Vodafone mobile?

I have a Motorola V50 phone on a Vodafone contract, but I would like to swap to O2, I'd like to keep the phone though.

Cheers in advance,

Wingnut

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Typically, when a phone is bought from (directly or indirectly) a given provider, that provider will lock the phone such that it will not connect to other networks. Although it technically can receive and transmit, it is prevented from doing so.

You will probably need to get it unlocked - various independent traders can do this. I can't speak for the reliability of the process.

You can check if you need this on most/many/all phones, by using the menu to look for other networks - if you see the network name with some symbol next to it (on my phone, it is a phone with a line through it) then you have an indication that it can but won't connect.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I just solved this problem this week. I have a Vodafone mobile (Sharp AX10i) and use Vodafone sim. The phone is locked to use Vodafone sims only. I just called Vodafone and said I also wanted to use my other sim (T-Online) in the same phone. They logged a call and said someone would call me.

Next evening a bloke calls from Vodafone and gives me a LOOOOONG list of commands and digits to type into the phone and hey-presto! , it is unlocked and works with both sims above & with my mates Orange sim too. No way I could have unlocked it myself, some of the codes are 12 characters long and not found in the menus.

Just call Vodafone customer services and you will be sorted in a couple of days. :smashin:

4. Wingnut

Wingnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info guys, I think I'll give Vodafone a call.

It's weird that they spend all that effort locking their phones to their networks, and then give you the unlock codes by phoning their customer services!

If that fails, I saw a local mobile phone 'boutique' which advertises phone unlocking.

Thanks,

Wingnut