O2 Phone recycling

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sandman, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,681
    I got my new iphone 5 because I was due an upgrade so had my old iphone 4 to sell. I couldn’t be bothered with any hassle with selling it privately so decided to sell it to a recycling company.

Most companies were offering about £120 for the phone but a few were offering £130, of the ones offering £130, O2 recycle were the only one I had heard off.

Anyway off my phone went to them and I waited patiently for my money to arrive in my bank. This morning I received a text message from them stating they had sent an email regarding a revised offer. Check my email and they are now only going to give me £116 due to a 10% reduction because of its cosmetic condition. Now my phone was absolutely mint condition. If I were to sell it on here I would have described it as "as new".

I phoned o2 recycle to ask them to return my phone to me and they immediately reinstated the 10% reduction and agreed to pay me the full amount (£130).

Is this normal practice for these companies? Seems like a bit of a rip off, they are expecting people just to take the reduced offer without query. Anyway I am getting the amount I wanted but it has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,768
    Wish I'd phoned them with mine! Although it was only about £5 reduction.

I sent a Blackberry to them that was mint condition. Nothing wrong with it at all, but the offer came back with a 10% reduction due to cosmetic damage.

From your account I would guess they do this as standard to try it on. Last time I will use them that's for sure. :nono:

3. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I got exactly what they said it was worth, £130 for my 16gb iphone4. I must admit I was surprised as it had a few marks in it and the home button was so dodgy I had been using the accessible touch dot instead of the home button. It obviously behaved itself when they tested it!