o2 Palm Pre Newspaper Advert Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

malford

I was thinking of ordering the Palm Pre after seeing the advert in todays Times newspaper only to be told by the o2 operator that the advert in all todays news papers is wrong.

The advert shows:

The New Palm Pre
Free on a 24 month, 34.26 tariff. With unlimited data and wifi, 1200 minutes and 500 texts.

The operator has informed me that the details are incorrect (spelling mistake) and that the actual allowance is only 600 minutes and not the advertised 1200 minutes.
When I questioned the legality of the offer the operator after speaking to her manager and putting me on hold several times told me to write in and complain about the error.

I thought they had to honour any advertised deals even if they are wrong..

panjabi_j4tt

Novice Member
Straight answer is no. They could have advertised it for £1 doesn't mean they have honour it. In legal terms, advertisements are classed as 'offers to treat' not a binding contract for sale

not realy say i go in to tesco and see a 42 inch tv for £350 and i get to the till and they say o sorry sum one must of put the wrong price on it its ment to be 550 they have to sell it to me at 350 cause thats wot it says

upallnight

not true they could withdraw the tv from sale
ive had this happen to me before in woolworths which was a few years back on a dvd box set

malford

Thats what I expected seeing as they advertised it in the Times Newspaper.

I was ready to order the phone over the phone until they started to back track on the inclusive hours... from 1200 down to 600

Not very professional for such a large company...

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
not realy say i go in to tesco and see a 42 inch tv for £350 and i get to the till and they say o sorry sum one must of put the wrong price on it its ment to be 550 they have to sell it to me at 350 cause thats wot it says
They can't sell it to you for £550; but they can refuse to sell it to you at all.

Doctor_AB

why is it not professional? They made a mistake as do pilots, doctors, lawyers, professional sportsmen etc.

Most offers include an E&OE rider (errors and omissions excepted). If they make a mistake and agree to the deal then they cannot withdraw.

ROBIN50N

They can't sell it to you for £550; but they can refuse to sell it to you at all.
yes they can. am not gona go into all the tradeing standard lwas as people will just come back on trying to correct me. i work in retail management so know that that whats being said on here is:thumbsdow :smashin:

if a mistakes made, and not recitified when highlighted/brought to there attention. then youd have a case. if tesco did say sell a tv at the wrong price, it would be a gesture of good will.

Last edited:

malford

All I'm saying is if o2 advertise the product in a National newspaper and get it completely wrong (like they did) and prospective customers (like me) call up to get the advertised deal only to be told "all the National adverts are wrong ,please refer to the o2 website for the correct tariff details" that is not in my opinion the actions of a competent advertising department.

I expect that type of mistake on eBay but coming from a multi National Company who spend millions on advertising it sucks and they lost me as a customer.

o2 have been totally unprofessional in my opinion..

malford

You dont work for o2 marketing by any chance :zonked:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom