O2 fail again..

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Was in Switzerland this last week, and O2 have a internet service in Europe of £1.99 a day for 25mb. The old service was £6/MB up to £40 max and 50MB.

When I landed in Switzerland, I got the message about the old £20/£40 warning/max texts.. this concerned me. Though later I got another text about the £1.99 a day :thumbsup:

On the first day of using the internet I got a £20 warning text, so I phoned O2 promptly! They told me to ignore it, it was a mistake that it was sent.

I continued to use the internet and ignored the £40 text.. but it was long before I had hit that theoretical 50MB limit and I couldn't use the internet anymore... :(

Now I'm staying in a very rural part of Switzerland, I can only get around by walking or train. The nearest train stop, is just a hut - so I'd have to buy a fare and travel to the nearest station for times, so it was damn annoying not having internet to plan train times.

I phoned O2 on Sunday, they got me to give my sim card a rub and reboot the phone - then since that didn't fix it :rolleyes: they would give me a call back, as she had to speak to her manager.

Monday afternoon I phoned O2 again, never having received that callback. Was told that I been limited by the old 50MB, but not charged for it - but it also means I could not use the £1.99/day (as I had originally expected) because there was a problem with my service.

Well they apparently have to file paperwork with a different department, and who knows how long it'll take for them to look into it. Bottom line being I wouldn't have internet access for the reset of my trip.

Hope it's not a widespread problem for all you other folks :thumbsup:

walleee

Have you made a complaint about it? I'd be surprised if they don't offer you money off your next bill...

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Have you made a complaint about it? I'd be surprised if they don't offer you money off your next bill...
On the phone call they said they'd credit me £5 off my next bill - didn't seem satisfactory really. So yes I've written them a complaint.

I got 2 months credited earlier this year when they wasted my time trying to get my new phone.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Must be a generation thing as though I understand it's annoying to have muddled information about what internet deal you can have or worse yet, getting cut off alotgether, why not just plan ahead when going abroad? Download train times etc before you go, even print them out if need be, then if you have any connection issues (or your phone gets broken, lost or stolen) then you have a fall back. Perhaps even grab a paper timetable from the station as you passed through? How did people cope before without mobiles. :rolleyes:

I travel abroad 2-3 times a year and while I do take my mobile with me, it's purely in case of emergency. I never give it a thought regarding connecting to the web, despite me spending a lot of time on it when at home.

I think mobiles and particularly mobile web access is causing a generation to grow up that don't feel the need to plan ahead as they can do everything on the fly with a mobile. So in short, instead of leaving yourself open to being charged extortionate rates when abroad, just research before you go. It leaves you more money to enjoy your holiday too...

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I'm terribly disorganised, sometimes the best I can do is make a promise to get up a bit early in the event that we choose to go somewhere! We had no idea what we were going to be doing before we got to Switzerland - but I did was buy hiking shoes in advance.

After our first hike, we kind of planned the rest of our week around the day-to-day agony of my muscles as I got over the pain of using them.

I managed to get by without it, but I do pay for it to work.. and I expect retribution!! ;)

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Maybe it's me getting cynical in my old age, but I'm used to being let down by things (and people :rolleyes:) so I always have a backup plan. Oh for the carefree days of youth. :D Sounds like you had a good time anyway, even if you have to pay for it afterwards. :D

walleee

That scenery is outstanding :smashin:

IMO it's nothing to do with generation, im 25 and heading away with work tomorrow, I have all my flight details printed off, train times and references printed, along with a list of taxi companies for when I arrive. I will of course be bringing my ipad and my phone, but I'm not relying on them.

Some people are happy to 'wing it' where as I like to have a plan, which reduces stress by meaning I don't have to look/ask for information.

robel

Was in Switzerland this last week, and O2 have a internet service in Europe of £1.99 a day for 25mb. The old service was £6/MB up to £40 max and 50MB.

When I landed in Switzerland, I got the message about the old £20/£40 warning/max texts.. this concerned me. Though later I got another text about the £1.99 a day :thumbsup:

On the first day of using the internet I got a £20 warning text, so I phoned O2 promptly! They told me to ignore it, it was a mistake that it was sent.

I continued to use the internet and ignored the £40 text.. but it was long before I had hit that theoretical 50MB limit and I couldn't use the internet anymore... :(

Now I'm staying in a very rural part of Switzerland, I can only get around by walking or train. The nearest train stop, is just a hut - so I'd have to buy a fare and travel to the nearest station for times, so it was damn annoying not having internet to plan train times.

I phoned O2 on Sunday, they got me to give my sim card a rub and reboot the phone - then since that didn't fix it :rolleyes: they would give me a call back, as she had to speak to her manager.

Monday afternoon I phoned O2 again, never having received that callback. Was told that I been limited by the old 50MB, but not charged for it - but it also means I could not use the £1.99/day (as I had originally expected) because there was a problem with my service.

Well they apparently have to file paperwork with a different department, and who knows how long it'll take for them to look into it. Bottom line being I wouldn't have internet access for the reset of my trip.

Hope it's not a widespread problem for all you other folks :thumbsup:
Regardless of the fact that i work in telecoms all over the world, they are taking the mick out of you by suggesting you do this.....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom