• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

O2 Business Account iPhone Upgrade

judethedude

I have a 24 month O2 Small Business Frequent User tariff which entitles me to a free upgrade every 12 months. I currently have an iPhone 3G and, as my first 12 months of contract is up next month will be entitled to an upgrade. I will obviously be upgrading to an iPhone 3GS but have read that the iPhone 3GS requires a new contract and cannot be obtained by an upgrade.

Does anyone else have the same O2 business tariff and, if so, were you able to upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS without having to take out a new contract ?

I could obviously call O2 and find this out but I'd rather ask someone first that has been in the same situation rather than potentially getting the wrong info from O2 and having to take out a new contract unecessarily.

Thank You

mike543

yes you can, i upgraded to the 3gs for £50+vat. you can have the 3g for nothing. I did it in my local o2 shop, but when i phoned up two weeks later to customer services i had been put on another two year contract which was a mistake. They changed it back so my contract finished on the original date. Just check after upgrading that nothing has changed or do it through customer services.

judethedude

Thanks for the post mike543. Thats good news.

Did the £50 upgrade cost cover just the phone or also a larger memory (ie 8gb to 16gb) ?

welshheritage

Standard Member
Hi Jude
I just signed up to this forum so I could answer your question, as its a very similar position to mine.

In October 2008 I signed up to a 24-month Small business frequent user with a 16gb iPhone (that cost me about 50 quid) and a second user who had some Nokia or other. I asked at the time whether the iPhone would have to see me out for the entire two years and was happy to be told that I would be entitled to a new phone after 12 months.

After some initial teething problems with the additional user who kept making connect calls through 118118 (GRRRR!), my monthly bills have generally been around £60.

Last week I rang O2 to check whether I was entitled to a new phone or not, and after a lengthy conversation had managed to order a 32GB iPhone 3GS for me, switch the second user onto Sim-only (saving a few quid), but also purchasing an iPhone bolt-on for the second user, who is now using my old 3G. The new iPhone came 2 days after the call. I think I will get a bill for £130ish for the 32GB, but we are now both iPhone-ed up and I think my monthly bills will be a round £5 higher than before.

Finally, I am sure that I have not lengthened my contract which will finish next year. All this and 3 weeks before the anniversary of my contract. Thumbs up for O2 (even tho I wanted a white phone and they sent black)

judethedude

Hi Welshheritage, welcome to the forums.

Thank you for the information, that's good news as it means all I have to do is pay for the additional memory upgrade. Personally, I do not need 32gb (I can't even fill the 8gb I already have) so I will probably go for the 16gb (for resale purposes).

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom