O2 BB Terrible connection?

jack25

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty lost when it comes to this area and I could do with some help.
I recently got O2 bb for my new house, it's just the basic package so max speed is 8meg, but I've been getting no where near this. I understand that it is going to drop the further I am from the exchange (which is about 2 miles approx) but I'm getting a max of about 3.4meg download when testing. I dont know if thats a reasonable speed or not but thats not the bad part. The speed is varying massively, it spends about half the day around the 0.7 mark and a lot of the time its at about 2.5, but it also just cuts out occasionally and I will get nothing.
Originally I thought it was something to do with the router as Its wireless signal is pretty weak where my PC is but according to O2 its fine.
So does this mean that it is entirely down to the phone line or could it be a problem with wiring in the BT socket?

I could live with the dl speed if it stayed at about 3meg all the time but its when it troughs that grinds my gears, it makes it impossible to do any online gaming and with Modern warfare 2 coming out in a month i would like to get this sorted asap.

Also does anyone know if the 3.4 ish DL is likely to be the maximum i'll be able to get, my housemate says when he was setting up the BB with O2 they ran a test and said the max was just below 4. Are their predictions likely to be right? does that mean any adsl isp will only be able to provide just under 4 meg for our house? I live in the middle of southsea in Portsmouth and that figure seems low for the middle of a city, are the phone lines really that bad hear?

any help is appreciated

thanks.
jack

whats your line stats and when you using the pc wired up to router is it fine or not if not then try put the adsl in the master test socket and see how it goes

I don't know how to get all the line stats, i followed the instructions on ::. Kitz - Get your adsl line stats .:: but all I got was this:

bull__md.gif
Link Information

spacer.gif
Uptime:3 days, 2:08:28
spacer.gif
DSL Type:G.992.5 annex A
spacer.gif
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,044 / 3,580
spacer.gif
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:0.00 / 0.00
spacer.gif
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.0 / 17.0
spacer.gif
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:29.5 / 57.0
spacer.gif
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6.5 / 6.5
spacer.gif
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / BDCM
spacer.gif
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
spacer.gif
Loss of Link (Remote):0
spacer.gif
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):8 / 0
spacer.gif
FEC Errors (Up/Down):206 / 515,984
spacer.gif
CRC Errors (Up/Down):206 / 395
spacer.gif
HEC Errors (Up/Down):1,229 / 269
not sure how to get the rest of it, cos I don't know how to get the command prompt thing up

Scratch that last bit, i'm an idiot.

yeah so...

line rate up/down 1,044 / 3,580
noise margin up/down 6.5 / 6.5
line attenuation up/down 29.5 / 57.0
output power up/down 12.0 / 17.0

Right, update on the situation.

I moved my computer about 2m closer to the router and I'm getting a much more reliable and stronger connection ***?!?! 2m shouldn't make that much difference. My house-mate has the same problem, his laptop connects fine to the router when he has it near his door, but if he moves it literally 2m to the left he loses connection. So I think I've established that the massive drops and cut out are due to the router being crap!

Is it worth investing in a new router? At the moment I'm hovering around the 2.8 mark would a better router allow me to get closer to the max speed or 2.8 the max i'm going to get with wireless?

Also does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the settings on the router to favour online gaming traffic (xbl)?

Right, update on the situation.

I moved my computer about 2m closer to the router and I'm getting a much more reliable and stronger connection ***?!?! 2m shouldn't make that much difference. My house-mate has the same problem, his laptop connects fine to the router when he has it near his door, but if he moves it literally 2m to the left he loses connection. So I think I've established that the massive drops and cut out are due to the router being crap!

Is it worth investing in a new router? At the moment I'm hovering around the 2.8 mark would a better router allow me to get closer to the max speed or 2.8 the max i'm going to get with wireless?

Also does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the settings on the router to favour online gaming traffic (xbl)?
The WiFi problem has nothing to do with the quality of your router and so a new one won't help.. (In terms of WiFi output they are all essentially identical.) Read the many threads here on how to use inSSIDer to fix WiFi interference.

BTW if you are that close to the router why not use a wire. WiFi will will add latency to your connection.)

BTW2, you are on ADSL2+ and so I suggest that you take up the suggestion of trying the Test Socket to see if that gets you a better speed.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom