O2 Academy

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by shilv, Jan 29, 2009.

1. shilv

shilv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Sorry if this is old news, but I've only just found out that the Carling Academy's have been taken over by O2.

Is anyone else extremely annoyed that some very good venues across the country will now give priority bookings, special lounges and even the chance to jump the queues on the night to people based on their mobile phone network?

:mad:

2. hellojp

hellojp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shilv
    My name’s JP and I work for O2 – before Christmas we announced we had partnered with Live Nation to further develop the Academy venues. First of all - you’re right, we are going to be offering a small percentage of tickets to O2 customers 24 hours before they go on general sale. Any tickets from this allocation that are left over will go on sale, with the rest, to anyone who wants one.

We’ve got a long history with music events, from the O2 Wireless festival to literally hundreds of gigs at The O2. However, we recognise that the Academies have a well established heritage in the UK music scene and we have absolutely no intention of interfering with or changing them. Similarly, we have no plans to over brand them.

Our aim is to celebrate the heritage of these great venues and reinforce the Academies as a key outlet for grassroots music. We want to make sure new musical talent is recognised and supported in their early days, like we do in our O2 Undiscovered music programme which we’ve been running for the last few years.

We’re officially launching the O2 Academies next month so hopefully you’ll still enjoy them as much as you did before whether you’re an O2 customer or not.

Thanks
    JP

3. shilv

shilv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks JP for taking the time to reply.

I've been to a lot of gigs over the years and many of them have been at the Academy in Birmingham. I'm sure I will continue to go providing the presale of tickets doesn't get out of hand.

I appreciate it when you say it will be a small % of tickets, but these are small(ish) venues and when the band has their pre-sale and O2 have their presale it just reduces the amount of tickets available on the day of general release.

In my experience the only people that benefit from these pre-sales are the ticket touts. No doubt they are all busy signing up to O2 in order to take advantage of the offers that will come their way.

It is good that O2 are supporting the music industry at all levels, I just hope that I won't be at a disadvantage because I didn't choose O2 as my service provider.

Keep Music Live!
    Shilv