1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O-oh, another eggs upgrade q!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rauer, Oct 4, 2003.

1. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, I know you gurus must be getting tired with all these newbie questions. But beeing that, can't help asking.

I've now had the original eggs for about two years. I've been satisfied with them in general but lately I've been feeling there's something missing. So an upgrade might be in place.

I've considered two options, either upgrading the sub or replacing the fronts with bigger ones. My budget would be up to about £700 but it'd be nice to spend less.

I'd say it's about 50-50 with music and films. The room is fairly big, about 8 x 4 m but I don't listen at very high volumes. I wonder which upgrade path would be wiser?

Living at the end of the world, there aren't really many suitable options to listen to, so I might end up having to buy without listening. However, the local hifi store had two interesting options, the last pair of KEF Q3's at reduced price and a B&W 675 sub. The other subs are less known or worse brands but in the speakers there are more options, several 600 series B&W's, Amphions etc.

So finally, which upgrade path to choose and how do you find the above mentioned combos ( eggs + original sub + Q3's as fronts or 5 eggs with the B&W 675)?

Many thanks..

EDIT: the speakers are run with a Denon 3803..

2. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I guess that someone will ask, what's wrong with the current sound. But beeing rather unexperienced I really can't tell for sure. It's like the high's are OK but the upper and lower bass is insufficient. There's a somewhat booming mid-bass sound from the sub. Could of course be the room acoustics, but not only that I'm certain..

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm glad that you added the last bit as I was unsure how to answer the question. If you have KEF Q3 with an Egg in the centre it will sound very odd as they aren't tonally matched.

The subwoofer was the weak link in the original Egg package whick KEF acknowledged and beefed up for the mark two version. The B&W A675 is in a different class to either of the two KEF subs and should provide you with much more lower midband as well as a far superior bass.

Is there any chance of the dealer lending you the subwoofer for a home demo so that you can satisfy yourself that it will be the answer to your problems ?

4. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, they will lend it for overnight demoing but the problem is the rather few subs to choose from (This B&W, some lowly Yamaha, butt-ugly Chorus, few other). It seems that if it's the sub I'm upgrading, it's either this 675 or one bought without demoing.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi rauer
    Unless you are going to buy one of the larger than life subs which youve probably read about on the forums the asw675 would be a good choice.It is very good with music and movies ,i really enjoyed this sub until upgrading to the svs.Give it plenty of space in front of it and dont over do the volume and iam sure this sub will put a big grin on your face.
    Cheers Gonzo.

6. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the comments, both of you. You don't think that a sub of this quality would be an overkill run with eggs?

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It will be of higher quality than the eggs but not overkill and it makes future upgrades simpler as you can either upgrade all five speakers at once or just the front three if you prefer.