1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O no, Graffic equaliser!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by DustySox, May 21, 2005.

1. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Please don't shoot me down in flames!! I have a Primare P30 processor, D30.2 cd player, Meridian 559 power amp driving Kef 3.2 speakers,

Whislt I luve the sound of my system, there are no tone controls on the P30, and some times I just crave "pumping up the bass", or making up shortfalls on poorly recorded cd's. Any suggestions on equalizers etc, as I don't want to change my system.

Kind regards

Darren

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    get an active sub instead. Theres some Rel Storms on the zerogain forum for £280. EQs generally mess up the sound...the exception being the £5000 Cello EQ

3. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Could get a Behringer DEQ2496 which will allow you to do graphic and/or parametric equalisation. It will even let you keep a full digital path (for PCM at least) if you're worried about the effects of ADC and DAC. The RTA functionality is also pretty useful (needs a microphone) if you want to see where to apply the equalisation.

Mac.

4. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Rozzar,

Thanks for your reply.I have access to a sub, although it's not just the bass I have issues with. On well recorded cd's, the kef's certainly "chuck" it out, I was thinking more on poorly recorded cd's. It seems across the audio spectrum that nags me.

Kind regards

Darren

5. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi bigmacx,

Interesting. Do you have one of these, and what (if you do have one of these) do you think?

ATB

Darren

6. jmtjoy

jmtjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Primare P30 and looking at the same idea-feeding it a digital signal from a behringer deq2496 and then outputing from the Primare to a digital amplifier (ie Panasonic SA-XR45/50/70). I'm just not sure whether I could use the optical or coaxial (record out) outputs of the Primare to do this? Can anyone advise on this? The P30 is a wonderful unit with a lot of flexibility I think. Perhaps it could act as a high quality active volume control in this type of setup and be configured in bypass mode to boot. Alternatively I could use the DAC's in the P30 and output analog to the existing analog power amp I have now (Aragon 4004MKII). Keeping the signal in the digital domain as much as possible sounds like an interesting idea though.

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I thought the Cello was £10,000'ish, it must have had a price cut since I last saw one 20 years ago

8. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I did recently buy one of these. I'd borrowed a TACT RCS2.0s and had liked what I'd heard from it but thought that it hadn't made enough of a change to be worth the money (~£1200).

It did get me thinking however about some basic room/speaker correction so I thought I'd get a DEQ2496 to have a play around with since it was only ~£200.

I'm using it for music only in the following way

DVD Player -> PCM -> DEQ2496 -> PCM -> Amp

I also got a Behringer ECM8000 microphone and microphone preamp. I'm using the microphone in conjunction with this excellent software. First I do a sweep, measure the response, try some Parametric EQs then sweep again to see the effect. Since a sweep only takes ~10s it's pretty quick to fine tune your PEQs. I'm also using it to extend the bass response of the speakers by providing a gentle 3db lift where they start to fall away.

I've started off by correcting the speakers individually by will also eventually try correcting the overall response too.

What does it sound like? Uh, I don't know! I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to sit down a listen to it, one or two songs really. The software has shown that PEQs are helping alot with the peaks (can't really do much with the troughs) but the effect on music is fairly subtle. Will post again once I've had a chance to play around with it some more.

If you do buy one also be prepared to buy lots of XLR adaptors, Pro gear and regular Hi Fi don't mix and match too well!

Hope this of some help,

Mac.