O Brother, Where Art Thou? Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
I do like movies with a short gestation period. They always seem sharper and more satisfying than the lumbering, crisis ridden train wrecks that some movie projects become. Witness John Carter, a movie in planning for so long, yet the end result just did not work.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? was conceived as a re-telling of Homer's Odyssey - the Greek epic poem telling the story of Odysseus as he struggles to return home after the Trojan War. Here, we exchange Ancient Greece for the plains of Mississippi and Odysseus for Ulysses Everett McGill, but many of the adventures he and his traveling companions experience can be related back to the 2000 year old original. But why the name O Brother, Where Art Thou? This comes from a 1940's film - Sullivan's Travels, where the plot revolves around a director attempting to make a fictional film about the Great Depression.

Ulysses Everett McGill is played by George Clooney. He accepted the role on...

Read the full review...

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing this movie when it first came out and although it is a jolly romp with lots of laughs there was something uncomfortable about it.
It was funny but only at the expense of making fun at the foolish and simple. And these were usually people with a accent from the deep south - you know Hill Billy types who play the banjo!

Probably one of my favourite Coen Bros films, next to The Big Lebowski and Miller's Crossing.

Last edited:
I remember seeing this movie when it first came out and although it is a jolly romp with lots of laughs there was something uncomfortable about it.
It was funny but only at the expense of making fun at the foolish and simple. And these were usually people with a accent from the deep south - you know Hill Billy types who play the banjo!

For me this is one of the funniest films ever made. Back then they may well have been foolish and simple but most of us were before TV and the internet educated us. :laugh: Joking aside this is one brilliant film.

Bri

For me this is one of the funniest films ever made. Back then they may well have been foolish and simple but most of us were before TV and the internet educated us. :laugh: Joking aside this is one brilliant film.

Bri

I agree entirely:thumbsup:

One of my most watched films. May just dig it out and give it another viewing.

One magnificent film. After watching the Blu tonight it's reminded me how perfect this film is. They don't get much better.

Br

has to be one of my all time fav movies, there's so much more to this movie than meets first meets the eye. My son and I watch this movie every Christmas night.
There are levels of truth here on display that the Coens bring out in this movie as only they can.
cant wait to get this on blu.

One of my favorites too. Also worth acquiring is a DVD of a live performance by the artists and musicians from the the film. Recorded at the Ryman auditorium in Nashville, introduced by Holly Hunter. 4x3 aspect ratio, not fantastic picture quality. Fabulous concert nonetheless .

It is called "Down From The Mountain".

yes I can recommend the dvd down from the mountain too.
it smokes .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom