NY Times Video : Sony SR7 Vs JVC HD7

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Gliese 581c, May 8, 2007.

1. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
  2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Thanks for that - interesting clip.

3. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Whats your thoughts on it Mark ?

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    My thoughts:

- I'm surprised the image stabilisation was so poor on the HD7

- I'm not surprised that the 3 CCD difference wasn't noticable; Sony's single CMOS has been holding it's own vs. 3 CCD models for some time now.

- I thought the comments about emptying the HDD vs. tape models was interesting (well mainly because it is something keep pointing out) - that whilst there is convienence with HDD, you need to consider the other side, which is how do you archive your clips. Some people like HDD as "they don't need to mess with any media", but to save your footage you have to consider media.

- I was pleased to see the SR7 had a viewfinder (as I like having a viewfinder).

5. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    As you say regarding media, the HDD is convenient as no media is carried around when shooting footage but it will come into play when saving. 60GB is a good size, if one shoots enough to fill that HDD in one go, the editing would take forever, when I get my SR7 I dont think I will even use all that space. Might be wrong.

6. mickyd67

mickyd67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :( Well, that footage hasn't helped my decision whatsoever.

For my 30th birthday last year I got a new camcorder (well, ended up with 2 because of a mix-up)

So, I eventually got the MC500 (what a cool wee thing) - however I knew that it was a year+ old. So I eventually decided to get a refund, and hold onto the cash.

I fancied the MG505, however I really wanted a high-def camcorder - as I knew they were on the horizon.

I was going to go for the HD7, however that video has put me right off - particularly with the image stabilisation :(

So, where to now? I sometimes think I'll try and get as cheap an MC500 as possible (I love the minimal design) and just keep the rest of my cash until the next gen of HD camcorders come out - with the issues ironed out.

Any suggestions?

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I take it you want HDD. If so, how about the SR1 (SR5/SR7)? Now that editing support for AVCHD is here, it's not a bad format. Quality maybe not quite as good as HDV.... but you can say the same about SD based HDD cams (quality not as good as DV).

Or, if tape is OK Canon HV20 or Sony HC5/7.

8. mickyd67

mickyd67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    To be honest, I do want a HD cam with an integrated HDD.

I really like the JVC Everio range, however that video has kinda put me off it. I might just go for the standard def, and then get a HD HDD when they sort out the issues.

That's my only concern, I would be buying an HD camcorder which is first generation Vs buying a standard def one which has years of work and improvements built into it.