1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NXT panels

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by IronGiant, Jul 11, 2003.

1. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,008
    Now I have a really nice sub (RELinquished), is there any reason not to take the passive subs away from my Wharfedale Loud Panel surround speakers and use them as small speakers from a home theatre amp, so long as that handles the crossover OK? I realise I lose overload protection, but these passive subs are pulling down the main subs performance terribly even in small mode.

Dave

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    the cross over freq of these panels is quite high but the new sub would act as a proper sub with the Wharfdale sub as a mid woofer which is what it does currently, I am not sure you will be able to loose the Wharf totally

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I tried using Loudpanels as surrounds a while back and couldn't get on with them. Even with the bass set to the highest crossover point on my amp they made some nasty noises to let me know they couldn't cope. With the sub they were fine as rears (in our flat so fairly low levels) but I didn't have anywhere to stash the box so they had to go.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,008
    Unfortunately my Yamaha amp's idea of a 90Hz cutoff is rather lax, it lets these passive subs through as low as 40-50HZ (even on small mode ) and as my room resonance problems kick in at this point it's turning into a bit of a nightmare. If I could take the driver out of the sub and attach a light bulb instead I would :) The panels themselves seem to kick in at around 110Hz and my new sub is happy going up that far, so with some tweaking I might be OK.

Dave

EDIT : This is for experimenting really, ie can I drive the panels direct, if they give no midrange, then I need to try something else. I just didn't want to blow them experimenting.
    Dave

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The spec I remember from my Loud panels was they went down to about 160hz and even Wharfedales response curve for the sub had a peak at 50hz or so.

Are the protection circuits built into the panels?

My first set were returned due to a nasty crackling noise at moderate volume. The replacements after a time started to rattle too but I realised it was the panels vibrating against the frame. The glue on the foam surround is a bit feable and they need to be pushed back away from the frame.

I can't see why they would have problems being run in small mode. In fact I liked the way they worked as surround channels and would still have them if only the sound quality had been better.

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,008
    I took the wharfedale sub out and there doesn't seem to be much of a dip between the new sub and the panels, but the oveload protection was in the wharfedale sub so I need to be a bit careful.

Dave