1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NXE installed and now no sound? (Update now available 3 Feb 09)

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by freefall101, Nov 19, 2008.

1. freefall101

freefall101 Active Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    MICROSOFT, YOU NEED TO SORT THIS OUT

I seriously have no idea what's gone wrong, basically I have had my XBOX 360 connected to my 24" LCD monitor via HDMI for about 10 months now, and no problems at all, just installed the New XBOX Live Experiences and now I have no sound at all?????? Do not understand what's gone wrong, the speakers are fine with the PC, and have worked with the 360 only minutes before downloading and installation, so any ideas what to do? No sound at all, on the dasboard or in games. :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. DJ Wheezy Weez

DJ Wheezy Weez Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm having the same problem. I managed to fix it for now using the audio port thing that came with my 360 Elite. On my TV, I have an HDMI port with white and red audio ports so I connected the audio port thing to my TV and I got sound. It makes no sense that this would be necessary now and that you can't just use the HDMI cable like you did before the NXE update but it's hopefully a temporary fix.

Hope this helps. If I find anything else out, I'll post again.

3. freefall101

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Problem is I'm using a BenQ G2400W 24" LCD Monitor with HDMI, VGA and DVI and use the PC speakers with a headphone jack. So can't do what you said I don't think.

4. notreal

notreal Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the same screen and same problem!! This must be a known problem for MS by now?
    It worked perfectly before I updated to NXE.
    Let me know if you find a solution.
    I contacted xbox support, but doubt I'll get any real respons.

5. gigantor

gigantor Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    exactly the same screen and same problem.. how annoying

6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Active Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi.

Have you tried this.

Resetting to factory defaults / resetting parental locks (unconfirmed)
    This was posted on the xbox-scene forums and might work only with older versions of Xbox 360 dashboard.

Press the following key combination

* Left Trigger, Right Trigger, X, Y, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, Up, Left Bumper, Left Bumper, X

This should give you a dialogue asking whether or not you want to reset your system to factory default settings.

Reset Xbox 360 video settings
    While the Xbox 360 is starting up, hold Y and Right trigger. This will cause the system to reboot and reset the video settings.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  7. freefall101

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, has anyone tried what Tinderbox has said yet? Just want to know if it works? I knew it..... out of all the brands of monitors and TVs and all the different model numbers, mine would have to be the one incompatible with the update.

8. gigantor

gigantor Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, I've called MS support, spoke to someone called Bruce who basically told me this is the first he's heard of this and has no idea why it's happened.

Apparently someone will call me within 24 hours and try to assist me further.

I don't like my chances though, could just be a compatability issue with this monitor so the chances of a further patch are slim to none.

Very annoying, I actually rented GoW2 today and was looking forward to that, not worth playing with no sound though :mad:

9. freefall101

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK, based on my situation with the monitor would this work? Could I keep my HDMI cable connected to the monitor for the display, so only for the video signal, and then further connect the audio adapter that was included with my Elite http://www.petecullen.net/images/elite2.jpg
    to the 360 in the other slot, and then buy this conveter

F/3.5mm Audio 2RCA Y Adapter Cable For IPOD/MP3/Zune D9 on eBay, also A V Transmitters, Audio Cables Connectors, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics (end time 20-Nov-08 19:08:28 GMT)

to connect my PC speakers which I always use with the 360, hence the PC monitor and PC setup, etc, so the 3.5 would go into the earphone jack and then the Red and white male connectors would go into the audio adapter as included with the 360 as mentioned before? Would that work?

10. freefall101

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  11. rb5201

rb5201 Active Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I recently lost the sound, have optical output to amp, have checked the optical cable and its not that so must be the connection from the cable with the component outputs, anyone else had this? Currently using the red and white audio cables but no surround sound which makes cod5 harder as I cant hear people behind me anymore!

12. DJ Wheezy Weez

DJ Wheezy Weez Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I tried this and I didn't get any options to do anything then I tried X, X, LB, RB, X, X, which is the option for clearing the cache, and then cleared it but still no sound.

13. notreal

notreal Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Since this is the first result on google when you search "XBOX NXE no sound" I would ask all viewers on this site to join the forum and post your comment. This error must be known and Microsoft must fix it!! There must be thousands of people with this problem?!

Does anyone have this problem with any other product than Benq G2400W?

Also contact Xbox support and let them know they f***ed up with the new release.

14. Cambison79

Cambison79 Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had exactly the same problem using the MS RGB SCART connected to standard def TV. Spent most of the afternoon on the phone to xbox who I finally got to admit are more than aware of this problem. Simple fact is they obviously have no fixes and probs not too much intetion of finding one.So much for the beta testing eh?

As an xbox live gold account holder, I can not tell you how angry I am that they have effectivley rendered my 360 usless with an update that isn't very good anyway!!!!:mad:

Any help or info would be appreciated

15. freefall101

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  16. Boblido

Boblido Guest

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've got the problem with the BenQ aswell, working fine until the update and then no sound. I contacted Microsoft and spent half an hour for them to tell me to use a component cable... they must be aware of it and all I can think is that they'll release a patch to fix it, such a stupid problem. Nothing else I can find on the net so just looks like we're waiting.
    Hope this helps

17. freefall101

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  18. notreal

notreal Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    freefall101: I use the same solution to my Popcorn hour a100 media tank since the Benq won't convert DTS audio. The popcorn sends audio through both hdmi and rca, hopefully the xbox do too. (the benq just can't decode the raw digital DTS audio).

Hope it works. I don't have the elite plug to test for you.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  19. Boblido

Boblido Guest

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not too sure freefall, I think the problem is the actual software just not letting any sound out through HDMI not the speakers themselves. The only way around it at the mo is through VGA/Component etc

20. fbeck

fbeck Guest

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem after update.
    No sound on my toshiba tdp-et 10 beamer connected via hdmi.

21. freefall101

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  22. bob d0le

bob d0le Guest

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use an HD tv and wasnt getting any sound with my hdmi cable but when switched back to the component cable that came with my 360 i had sound. i suppose that this doesnt help everyone but it might

23. notreal

notreal Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    guess so, it will atleast give you stereo. If you check your jack from your pc speak it has two metal "circles" (or better english word:p) that devide the sound to left and right speaker.

Anyways. It's only £2.3! Worth a shot:p But everything would be better if they could just fix the hdmi bug.

24. LIVE_EVIL

LIVE_EVIL Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have very the same issue. I upgraded today to NXE and my BenQ 2400 no longer plays any sounds from my xbox 360. BenQ works fine with PS3 though and can playback sounds no problem. Also Xbox 360 NXE works fine with Dell S2409W 24 inch monitor. Dell plays sounds and music no problem.

25. LIVE_EVIL

LIVE_EVIL Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think the whole issue is due to HDMI handshaking. PS3 does not recognise BenQ as a proper sound device and can use it only when forced to output 44.1/48 KHz digital sound. I think Xbox does try to test the output device, then it does not recognise it and disables sound automatically. All Xbox support needs to do is to force Xbox to output 44.1 or 48 KHz digital sound via HDMI no matter what.

26. freefall101

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So, I bought that jack - 2 RCA thing. This will work what I'm about to say??? First I connect the 360 to the monitor as always by HDMI to the HDMI slot in the monitor, that's for video only in my case. Then the PC speakers with a single 3.5mm jack that I used to use through the monitor itself are not connected to the monitor at all, but to the female 3.5mm jack as shown in the item link. This jack is split to two RCA male and this goes straight into the audio receiver as supplied with the XBOX 360 Elite, with the red and white, only that the one I bought has black and red instead, would this still work? Sound OK?

27. mp4-20

mp4-20 Guest

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, did Microsoft drop the ball or what? Same here, I have a BenQ 2400W, using HDMI, and in addition to not having sound, I'm not getting a picture either, except for a green pixelated mess. Screen is working fine, and the console is running games and all (judging by the change of colour in the pixelated mess), but the HDMI doesn't seem to be working.

I'll be calling Xbox support tomorrow to see what they can do for me. I really hope they can patch it or something, and do it fast, because we're talking a massively popular monitor here, and there must be hundreds if not thousands of people with the same problem:thumbsdow

28. freefall101

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK, I eventually have a quick fix, that is, if you have an Elite and use PC speaker with a 3.5mm jack for your audio. Get the audio receiver or whatever it's called out of the 360 box, and connect the HD AV bit to the 360 and then the audio jack to one of the inputs for the RCA, although this gives audio out of one speaker only for the time being, but while they get this sorted out or if you want to buy a converted or adapter then 1 speaker audio is better than nothing, to be honest I have just played some Gears 2 like that and owned.

29. tidu

tidu Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the same problem. I don't have a BenQ, but instead a "V7" 24" monitor with HDMI. And I don't have an elite, so no adapter.
    I took the liberty to throw this on Digg, any publicity is good publicity, right? :/
    Digg - NXE No Audio Bug

30. Seventhabyss

Seventhabyss Standard Member

User Reviews:
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    from PS3Forums a guy named PXG S3

"Last night, I decided to download the NXE. Sure its only a few days away, but I was like "screw it". I really wanted to see how much better a game runs once its installed. Yeah, I can live without Live for a few days.

Anyway, for those of you who have it, you may have encountered a glitch that disables ALL audio. I mean ALL audio, whether its on the dashboard or in-game. However, I found a solution. I saw it on another forum, but forgot its name and the individual who posted it:

- Take off your HDD while the system is off
    - Turn on your system
    - After the dashboard loads, plug in the HDD

Your system should automatically reboot with the audio enabled once again. Don't worry, this does not do any damage to the 360, HDD or save data. I noticed that BEFORE I installed Gears 2, the sound was fine, but after the installation, it went off. I don't know, it must be some odd bug or something. Plus, I've read rumors this only happens if you use HDMI."

it worked for me, so i thought i would post this to help everyone else.