Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

NW-HD5H "Connecting to PC" fault

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Kye, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Kye

Kye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have just bought myself the NW-HD5H MP3 player. I have installed the SS software, and have successfully managed to import several albums on to the player within a matter of minutes. Upon disconnection, the player complied a data list, or play list of some description and was able to play the albums.

I then proceeded to enter the "crack" to make the volume louder. This worked successfully.

I then plugged the USB into the player, and imported more albums. This time, when disconnecting, the 'Connecting to PC' message did not disappear, and I am now unable to turn the player off, or do anything with it at all, as none of the buttons seem to work.

This is not the first time this is happened. I have just had a replacement sent to me by Amazon.co.uk as my previous player (the same model) did exactly the same thing. Could this be a dodgy batch amazon have?

Any help would be gratefully received, as i'm a little bit frustrated.

Ta :lease:

2. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Take the battery out and should be fine ;)

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you upgrade the firmware as soon as you received the player? You should be using version 1.2

My HD5H also came from Amazon, but I made sure to update the firmware immediately - this, apparently, doesn't necessarily stop the freezing problem (which I've never had, incidentally), but helps the player recover itself when freezing does occur.

4. Kye

Kye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm I tried taking the battery out before and it didn't nothing. It was only for a few seconds. I don't know what the capacitance is like either, would leaving the battery out for an hour, for example, have any effect?

Shadow; No I didn't upgrade the firmware, im thinking i should of though. I did try to, but no input at all worked when I tried to :(

5. Player181

Player181

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been experiencing the same thing with my HD5 Walkman. It is unusable as it in constantly in "Connecting to PC" mode even through I have taken out the battery for days. Does anyone know how to completly reset this thing. Thinking about formating the drive via Windows.

6. sparm

sparm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im continually finding faults with this heap of pooh of a machine. Mainly as Im using it whilst travelling abroad. I have now experiened the "Connecting to PC" problem. I basically plugged it into a dodgy Thai PC that didnt have a high speed USB connector on it and tried to extract some files I had from its hard drive. The whole PC started to freeze up (Which is usual for around these parts) so I gave up and whipped out my USB lead expecting my trusty NW5 to do the old "Building Database" bullcr*p that it does. Execpt this time its now constanly saying "Connecting to PC" . Ive tried plugging it into different PCs, removing the battery, recharging it from the mains, holding down a combination of buttons. Nothing. I left it overnight to kill its own battery life and now its as dead as a limp puppy. Cant get anything out of the blighter. Please someone help us as Ive got another 6 months of travelling with a lot of good music and importnant documents on this thing!!

BTW. This player is hopeless for travelling round the world as you cant extract any music installed by SS (Legit as I created it myself and want to demo it to others) and if, (god forbid) you might actually BUY a NEW CD, you have to install sonic stage on the PC your using just to get the damn tracks on there. That takes a good 40 mins if that and you have to pay for the pleasure. Incredible short-sighteness from Sony. Im getting an IRiver ASAP. Tried, Ipod, tried Sony. What is a MF to do?

7. Player181

Player181

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to tell you but even if you let your battery discharge for a week when you recharge you will still have the Connecting to PC error. The only fix is to send it to Sony and have them fix it. If your buttons are cracked, tell them to fix those while they have it. They have redesigned buttons that will not crack. Thats what I did. Make sure your firmware is up to date and avoid plugging into USB 1 ports. Have fun!

8. sparm

sparm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks p181 for your quick response.

If what you say is true then I may as well find my nearest Sony outlet and throw the fricking thing through their sodding windows. Im on a remote island in Thailand enjoying beautiful weather and I want some tunes to listen to. Tunes that I spent a good 3 days of my life burning onto my pc by the hopeless SonicStage software that must have been written by some IT graduate in Java. I now have a rather lightweight harddrive to carry around until its fixed/destroyed until I get back to civilisation. All because I plugged it into PC that didnt have a high speed USB port or USB1. Slap on the back for the designers of the HD5 there then.

Im not gonna be able to send it back to Sony as I have no address for the next 6 months for them to send it back to.

All ive had from this sodding device is grief. From SonicStage completely messing up and re-arranging and re-naming and re-placing my already perfectly organised exisiting music library in Windows Media player, to the complete unessecarily difficult method to get music onto it via a computer other than your own and the complete innability to get music off it once its on there.

Also I dont want my music re-arranged or sorted by album or artist cos as I DJ most of my music doesnt have album or artist. God forbid you by an album that is mixed by one artist and contains individual tracks from different artists from different albums. Watch Sonic Stage deal with that.

There you go. Rant over. I think I might just post this on a new thread for conclusive evidence why not to BUY one of these b*ggers. Man. A friend in Tokyo showed me an IRiver that you simple drag and dropped music onto it in as a computer file system. WOW! Now theres a novel idea. Plus he had a crack that turned it into a gameboy and it contained every gameboy game ever existed (bat and ball on an ipod I think not!)

To extract my revenge I might just buy a pirated copy of every album on Sony music label over here in Thailand for 50p.

Here's a smiley for the hell of it :mad:

9. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Your problem is that you haven't bothered to search for the multitude of solutions in this VERY forum for you problems. You can easily put music on the player without sonic stage, using a piece of software that you can store on the HD5.

And the time it takes you to put the tracks on the HD5 has got nothing to do with a faliure on Sony's part, and everything to do with USB 1.

Seriously, I'm not so lbind I can't see whats wrong with the HD5, but you are just rating without trying to fix the problems yourself.

10. sparm

sparm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I had heard that you can use other software to put stuff on the HD5 I just never got round to looking into it. Will do.

However the reason for me moaning about USB1 is not the speed, its the fact that it has now completely crashed my HD5 by plugging it into one. Now all it says is "Connecting to PC" and I cant do anything to change it. Apparently the only option is to send it back to Sony which is useless for me unless anyone knows how to do some sort of magic 'hard' reset on the device?