1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD5H Battery Test Results - And it's good news!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KeanosMagicHat, Jul 24, 2005.

1. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Just completed my NW-HD5H battery test to compare performance to my previous NW-HD1.

Sony claims that the NW-HD5H can achieve up to 40 hours continuous playback with the lowest bitrate of ATRAC compression. The NW-HD1 was claimed to play for up to 30 hours.

When I tested my NW-HD1 I decided to perform the exercise with the remote connected. The unit achieved 27.5 hours continuous play on tracks encoded at ATRAC3plus 64K so I was pretty pleased with that.

So bearing in mind the NW-HD1 achieved over 91% of the stated potential, I was looking for around a massive 36 and a half hours from the NW-HD5H under the same testing conditions.

Well the unit played for a pretty impressive 35 hours 10 mins which I reckon is excellent.

And the fact that you can replace the battery relatively inexpensively once it starts to degrade is the added bonus.

My players now getting some well earned "juice" as we speak.

:smashin:

EDIT - For those interested in what this means in thhe context of number of tracks played it was 531 at an average length of just under 4 mins a track.

If you put an average album length at say 12 tracks then it would allow the continuous play of over 44 albums - pretty good.

It should be noted though that this test was conducted with absolutely no operation of the controls during playback and so in the "real world operation" times will be MUCH shorter.

2. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice post! :clap:

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Thank you - after 151 views I was hoping someone was gonna make a comment :)

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    That is good news....when Sony state it as "Up to 40 Hours" playing ATRAC3Plus @ 48kbs, it does seem quite ambiguous. At least it is relatively honest!

5. city

city

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nice to see someone has taken time to check.
    Well done. :D

6. keka223

keka223
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i brought mine the man in the shop said its more like 30 hours, but that still good in my opinion.

Only had it for over a week, wish it came with a better cover instead of that rubbishy material one. (when i got my motorola mobile phone they gave me a decent cover for with it why couldnt sony do the same?)

7. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    BTTT for anyone that missed it first time around.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HD5H battery's good, but I drain quickly using high volumes and with the Digital Surround Preset activated and both bass and treble set to +3 db. But wow, what a sound I get out of it!

9. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As any good marketing person worth their salt will tell you, the phrase "up to" clearly includes the figure nought, so can be used liberally in advertising :)