1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD5: Why Sony did it so Ugly ?!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by emqav, Jun 4, 2005.

1. emqav

emqav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was expecting HD5 to arrive, but after seeing it live on the shop I almost had an heart-attack ! It's the most ugly thing Sony has ever made (regarding MP3 players :D ) :thumbsdow
    After that I decided to buy NW-HD3 and I'm very pleased with it. There are no significant technological differences and the HD3 is, of course, much more beautiful ! No doubt about that. :thumbsup:

2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i 100% agree with you on that one

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It looks ugly in pictures...but when you see the size of it (smaller than the HD3) it is actually a little bit SEXY!!!!!

4. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's definitely not the greatest looking - but I love Sony's sound and things like battery life and the small size of it are unmatched still - so I'm hoping I might fall in love with the ugly looks of it when mine arives...

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: smaller than the hd3! really! omg it looks far bigger in photos, it just doesnt look right in a smaller scale.

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Each to their own I suppose - I love how it looks, especially with that cool white or black screen. By comparison, I didn't like the look of the iPod at all - so I guess I just have strange tastes.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    I've only seen photos of it, but I think it looks better than the iPod, and I own an iPod !!

8. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pictures of the hd5 do not do it any jusstice! It actually looks SO much bigger than in real life, when I saw pictures in proportion with someone's hand it is tiny!

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    It is small but it's a bit heavy for it. I had one and sold it same day, styling didn't take my fancy. HD3 looks better, but I kept my HD1 which I think was the best Sony looker so far.

10. altecc

altecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See those pictures on Lyris' Blog by any chance? It's pretty much the exact same size as a playing card.

11. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
  12. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at ur pics again Lyris and you know what - I just wish the HD5H was available in black - personally I think it is just so much better looking than the silver... Unfortunately in the case substance had to win over style... :(

13. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW its tiny, i dunno why but i was convinced it was huge lol. looking very very nice, plus kudos for having ramstein on there :)

oh and:

amen to that.

14. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Hehe, I thought it was huge as well at first. I think a lot of it has to do with other players that have tried to compete directly with the iPod being quite chunky and unsightly, so we assume this will be the same.

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    its the buttons! much prefer my black HD3..........

16. emqav

emqav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The look and design of the HD3 makes it even smaller then it actually is. And if you put the HD5 next to the HD3 then you have no choice but to immediatly choose the HD3. I think Sony is already thinking about the HD7 because this one HD5 is only going to make history on the dark side of Sony's memories !

17. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Seeing the HD5 in pictures and in the flesh are 2 very different things IMO. The black one especially is really sleek and but also feels solid aswell. I will be getting mine today without fail. :thumbsup:

18. lemonjelly

lemonjelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having owned all sony HD's to present i have to say i think the HD5 is far superior in design and build quality. The symmetric face when vertical i think is much more appealing than the hd3, i have t admit though i felt the same when i first saw the initial release photos, but after holding an hd5h in my hand i had completely fallen in love.

an added bonus is having all the volume and menu buttons on the face, unlike the hd3. those extra 2 lines of display text also make quite a defference i reckon. Its HD5H for me all the way

19. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    It's all about opinions but I would strongly disagree with that.

I have owned the NW-HD1 and NW-HD5H and have seen and handled the NW-HD3.

I have observed a degradation of build quality since the NW-HD1. This is hardly surprising (I guess) although disappointing as the NW-HD1 was £299.99 and you can now pick up an NW-HD5H with a 30GB disk for £189.99 including delivery so it is a much cheaper product.

So in terms of form / build quality the NW-HD1 with its beautiful and rugged brushed magnesium alloy case is by far the best. The aluminium alloyed models after that are much less durable and "feel" noticeably cheaper in your hand.

From a functional point of view, however, the NW-HD5H is the clear winner as the portrait styling makes it far easier to operate single handed.

The menu navigation is also more simplified.

If the NW-HD5H was made of the same materials and had a more dignified (and expensive) look like the NW-HD1, it would be an unbeatable package amongst its direct competitors.

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    delete due to double post

21. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Yeah well Sony as a whole aren't making enough £££, so its not surprising they dropped the cool brushed metal HD1 build for the HD3. But since I could get a black HD3 I forgive Sony.

Then the HD5. Cheaper materials yet, as well as build quality issues (cracking buttons *cough cough*). Is the HD3 d-pad metal? Even if its plastic, it feels metal and sturdy. Unlike the plastic HD5 buttons.

But before anyone mentions the amazing batt.....yes its gr8.....

But I have realised the max 15hrs iPod or 18hrs mini offering is enough. Even though I have never got an iPod due to batt life. Why? I'm getting a PSP. So I'm considering an iPod once my HD3 goes. So now Sony will have to come up with an amazing HD6 to keep this customer :)

22. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you say the battery life is amazing on the hd5 but then you say you want to get an ipod. im guessing you havent heard of the battery life issues with the ipod then?