1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nw-hd5 VS iriver h320

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by davorin, Jul 19, 2005.

1. davorin

davorin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm interested in your opinion ... apart from cracking buttons, i think hd5 is great, but then again this damn buttons ... and iriver h320 is around same price range + it has many bonus stuff ...

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The H320 does so much more, but it's not without issues. It's not as easy to get around at first with, and it relies on you organising your files properly in the order you want to listen to it to. Sonicstage takes a lot of that out of your hands. The colour display on the H320 is crisp and vibrant, and it can be re-flashed to play movies, albeit jerkily. Navigation is generally poorer on the H320 as the buttons respond slower, but you have the benefit of being able to load/unload music without any software being involved. The H320 has slightly better sound quality, but the real functional drawback is the (in-pocket feeling) enormous difference in size.

Personally speaking, the although I use other players more, the H320 gets a lot more use than the HD5.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I have just recently bought an iRiver H320 and absolutely love it. I bought it from Dixons duty-free for £153 and think it’s a great bargain for the price. However, before I went for it, I did have a hard decision choosing between the NW-HD5 and the H320.

In the end, I decided to go for functionality, despite the chunkiness of the H320. I’ve only been using it since Sunday but am already in love. I love the drag and drop interface and have formatted it for video (I have about 4 Simpsons episodes on it already).

Comparing the sound quality to my sister’s ipod, I think the sq is marginally better – there’s definitely more bass.

However, apart from my points I think extremelydodgy covers the positives and negatives very fairly.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hopefully the picture below is pretty representative of the size difference. In combination with a tool such as j.River Media Center (30 day free trial available) the H320 does practically pull alongside the HD5 for everyday ease of use and loading (and in fact it's easier to organise tracks on the player). The only issue thereafter is the slow navigation and (IMO) worse button feel. It may just be a perception thing but I find that the remote makes the navigation speed slightly less of an issue. iRiver-specific site misticriver has occasional shipments of the H300 remote which aren't available in the US or UK, but the older H100 remote (which is available in the UK) also works just fine on the H320.

Odd, but everyone else seems to have Simpsons episodes on the H320. I suppose this series (and South Park) is where a 10fps rate is irrelevant. I started putting webcasts of company reports on the H320 but it turned out to be very tiring to watch... so I stick to the laptop for that sort of thing.

The general SQ of the iPod can be higher when you attach suitable headphones, but the iRiver (and the Sony) has more bass and less distortion with low-impedance phones. As I said before I'll pick the iRiver over the Sony if base SQ is an issue, and the H320 is also probably the least headphone-variable of the hard-disk players since it has a ruler-flat frequency response which is unaffected by the impedance of the phones being used.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    extremelydodgy - where did you get your H300 remote from and how much did it cost you?

Thinking of getting one of these myself!

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I bought it off a guy on Misticriver who bought a spare and decided he didn't need it. Cost was £50 incl ship. Misticriver charges £55 or thereabouts I think

7. davorin

davorin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tnx for your advice extremelydodgy!! i think i will go with hd5, cause the only thing i'm looking for is a mp3 player. i need it for listening to music. although i see why i can't decide. maybe i want maximum for my money. but i don't know if i need all the stuff iriver has. i don't know. damn! i think i'll take hd5... yeah! hd5 ... or ... :confused:

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The H320 works as well as the HD5 for the most part especially if you team it up with j.River as I said. Generally speaking, I have no truck with video on a compromised screen either, and I can't remember the last time I played with photos on the H320 but it still gets far more use than the HD5 as a music player. Certainly my higher-end phones feel less wasted on the H320 than the HD5.

If size and battery life is important, go for the Sony. But to be honest with you, I'm still not sure why it's getting such good reviews at the moment. When listened to objectively on not even megabuck headphones, sound quality is actually lower than the likes of the Creative, iAudio and iRiver players and the controls are still mediocre in comparison to the iPod. I fully understand why some wouldn't want to go for the iPod (too popular, not as good sound with low impedance phones) but even leaving out the cracked button issues I just don't understand why a DRM locked down player with mediocre but 'tuned to fool' sound, highly limited playlisting and average navigation like the Sony would be so highly rated. I can only guess the mags have advertising budgets to protect.

9. PollMak

PollMak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at getting the H320 last year but after months of research and waiting ? I choose the HD5. For reasons listed below.

Comparing the H320 to the HD5 is like comparing a fully kitted van to a Caterham.
    The H320 has all the bells and wistles, the HD5 is striped down for performance.

H320 is great if you want many features, average battery life, and are not to bothered about size.
    HD5 is for users that want a small player, with long battery life and is easy to use.

At the end of the day :boring: ...just look at you listening routine over the last 6 months. I used my older player of 5 years (Dab 256Mb) daily to do a return 9 mile cycle to work, during lunch and in the evening. I have the player mostly in my pocket. So I needed long Battery live about 20Gb and great sound in a the small package. HD5 came tops.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Seems quite steep! May have to go for the H100 remote instead as it’s features are basically the same!

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    If that’s where the player will live most of the time then the H320 is not for you!

12. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    well the iriver is bigger, but seeing it in Dixons, it was smaller than I thought it was from pics, although jeans pocket no, coat pocket yes