Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

nw-hd5 sound quality better than nw-hd3?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Stuart P, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    hi all - i've just been reading thru various posts, in the hope that i might get help & advice on whether to get a nw-hd5 or an nw-hd3. something caught my eye which went along the lines that 'the quality of sound was better on the nw-hd5 compared to the nw-hd3'

is this right? & if so, what makes the sound quality superior on the nw-hd5?

cheers
    stuart

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't know from experience, but I would imagine it is the same on both.

3. emqav

emqav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I'm strongly against the new HD5 and its ugly design I must say that the sound is exactly the same on both models HD3 and HD5.
    In fact, apart some very small differences they are both the same player.
    Of course if you care about design and if you dont want to have cracked keys, you will choose the HD3 !

4. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    mmmmm....interesting you say that. so apart from the obvious good looks of the hd3, are there no REAL advantages of the hd5 then?

5. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe one advantage, you can be sure that the HD5 is compatible with SS 3.1, which it seems is better than the HD3's SS 2.3.

6. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    strange, i thought sonicstage 3.1 would be compatible with all nw-hd models. no?

7. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just looked at the Sony site, it doesn't say explicitly that the HD3 is supported by 3.1 but if does suggest as you say it is for nw-hd models. So appologies for a red herring. At the moment I trying to decide between the 3 & 5, I'm slightly leaning towards the 3.

8. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    yeah i've just read the same site & am 99% sure it will work. i too am leaning towards a hd3. i'm not sure why i havent fully decided yet. certainly the design on the hd3 is a winner

9. emqav

emqav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SonicStage 3.1 is compatible with ALL nw-hd models as well as with ALL other network walkman's from Sony and also with the Vaio Pocket Player !
    I'm using my NW-HD3 with SonicStage 3.1 and it works just great.

10. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    did you have a difficult time choosing between the hd3 / hd5 or was it always gonna be the hd3?

11. emqav

emqav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was planning to get the HD5 until I saw it ! :mad:
    After seeing it live, I decided to get the HD3 ! :thumbsup:

12. exalnt

exalnt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was looking at the HD3, but then i saw the HD5 on the website and ran out and got one less than 3 hours after they unloaded it off the truck in the city, lol.
    Im pleased with it until i looked on this damn site and some bastard mentioned cracks on the keys... i never wouldve noticed otherwise... :mad:

But the HD5 has a longer battery life (up to 40 hours as quoted by sony, 10 hours more than the HD1/HD3 @ATRACplus48kbps)

I like my HD 5 and i think the styling is good, really spits it in the iPod owners faces that the HD is BETTER!

13. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have too been looking at the 3 v 5 and the following has swung it for me...

nw-hd3 = 30 hours rechargable integrated battery :smashin:
    nw-hd5 = 40 hours rechargable & replacable battery (you can pick up a spare from most electrical retailers) :smashin: :smashin:

the fact you can simply pop into somewhere and buy another battery is a big bonus... how many recharges can the hd3 take before the battery wears down & then what... bin the whole player! :thumbsdow

that said... imho the hd5 looks awful... so I've gone for the hd3 :thumbsup:

btw all roads lead to better headphones... the Fontopia being the favourites.

14. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172

mmm....didnt realise the battery couldn't be replaced. is this real?

15. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's my understanding... maybe sony would send it off or something at a fair price...not!

I too thought it strange but why make such a big deal on selling the 5 with a replacable battery that you can simply change yourself?

surely if the 3 had this they would mention it... wouldn't they :confused:

16. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I came to the same conclusion today when I was told the same about the battery in 2 shops.

17. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    **** it....i'll go for a hd5 then i think....non replaceable battery :nono:

[mod comment - removed implied swear word]

18. SP303

SP303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD5 has a removeable battery, which is great if the existing one dies, or you plan a really long trip away with no sockets (take a spare battery :) ).

I've had both players and I prefer the HD5. It has a larger screen, easier to use buttons (get a black one, no cracks with them) it has multiple playlists (rather than just one on the HD3) you plug the usb and charger directly into it (on the HD3 they go via a f'ing annoying little box, which means you need that with you all the time).

The styling on the HD5 grew on me, and now I like it more than the HD3. If you like the HD3 design a lot more then go for that, they are very similar at the end of the day. If however you dont mind, then go for the HD5 every time :)

19. briankai

briankai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will probably be in the minority here... but I actually think that the HD3 sounds a bit better than the HD5. Both using the 81LP earphones with the same EQ settings, the HD3 seems to provide cleaner bass and the midrange sounds more pleasing. Again, it may just be me, but I'm generally pretty good at picking up stuff like that... and it's definitely a noticible difference.

Kai

20. exalnt

exalnt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a pair of MRDQ66LW clip fones with my HD5 and they sound awesome... i put the standard buds in to see what they were like... crap, it was like listening to an ipod..
    Spend the extra 70AUD and get the good headfones!

21. tuksta

tuksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally! Someone who appreciates the finer qualities of the HD5! It's really annoying me that everyone who has an HD3 is slagging off the HD5 for being ugly but thats only because they know that the HD5 is better and are trying to make themselves feel better.

Trust me, i have a mate who got an HD3 from sony for 230 quid a month before i got my hd5 for 184 off amazon (i think it was that much, it was a present) and i feel a little guilty because i think hes gutted. The hd5 is sooooo much easier to use than his hd3, sound quality is EXACTLY the same (i have two other mates with hd3s) and the sonic stage is a lot easier to use, even though its still pretty shoddy.

I quite like the Hd3 design but i'd only go for the silver one, because the red looks like its pink an the black one seems a tad boring looking. I definatley agree that the hd5s looks grow on you, but i even loved it before i got it! But the cracks are a minor problem and they DO appear on the black ones, you just can't see them as well!

PS. my mate with the hd3 is more gutted now, his sister has an hd5 and he thinks its "gorgeous".

22. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    having owned a HD3 for 3 months and then a HD5 for 2 months, I think the HD5 is slightly better.

i put some of this down to the fact that I found that HD3 was very senstive on headphone matching.

overall i'm more happy with the HD5 then I was with the HD3

23. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me the extra battery life, the replaceable battery and the fact you can charge off a usb cable without needing an adapter would be why I would chose the HD5 over the HD3. In fact, the look of the thing would be very down my list as my HD3 only seems to come out of its 'sleeping bag' and in to public view when I need to recharge.

24. briankai

briankai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel far better about the HD3 than the HD5, but whatever.

Kai

25. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well seeing as how you have such strong opinions on this im assuming you would have all the facts, aparently not. ss is compatable with both the hd3 and hd5 in all versions including 3.1

all the opinions stated later on are just that, with the exception of the price, which i agree is stupid. Still i would rather not have my buttons crasking on my, a fault totaly alien to the hd3.

26. tuksta

tuksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its true i already knew that, yet i forgot! Im sorry for that! ss still is crap, whichever version, though it gets easier over time. Because the HD3 can use ss3.1 does it mean you can have proper playlists on it like the hd5? Though, if you want to talk about the buttons, the problem is only visual and hardly noticeable, its just annoying because everything about the player is so good! The buttons are also placed in such a better position than the hd3 meaning easy use with only one hand!
    I know i went on at people who say its ugly but i think they should have a look at one of the hd5s in reality not just in photos.

PS. my mate who bought the hd3 for 230 is even more gutted now you can get it for about 150!

27. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont get what people are going on about when they say you have to use two hands to get to the hd3 controls, i use one all the time and hever never had a problem, you dont have to be a contortionist or anything!

and i HAVE seen a hd5 in the flesh, i still thought the hd3 look better, its a matter of opinion and not really something that can be argued from either side.

28. tuksta

tuksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You make a fair point about peoples opinions and i think you're right about that! However try changing tracks / menus/ whatever with both players (not simultaneously) whilst you're driving, then tell me which one you think is easiest to use. (and i have tried it, hd3 is slightly worse off because of the volume, menu and mode buttons being where they are and the fact that it doesn't have a proper main menu like the hd5). Another difference between the two is the screen size and clarity. The hd5s backlight is quite a bit brighter than the hd3s so its slightly easier to read ( and its got bigger writing)