1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD5 Skips!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sxc, Jul 23, 2005.

1. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had a strange experience today. I went on a rather long walk with the HD5 in my cargo shorts bottom pocket. It got hit a lot by my leg.

I detected skipping while I was listening - and at some times, the songs had parts from other songs placed in the middle of them - and then the song playing returned to normal. Sometimes, the HD5 just stopped or turned off. Maybe this was the G-sensor working.

eventually, the HD5 froze on me. This was the first time the HD5 ever froze on me and I needed to take out the battery. I have the v 1.2 firmware upgrade btw.

Looks like the HD5 isn't as shockproof as Sony would like to have us believe.

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    no HD player is ever shockproof due to moving parts. Skipping is countered by using RAM where read data (i.e music) is stored. There is typically 25 min worth of music kept. If exercising or whatever, and you "move" longer than 25 min, skipping may occur. Since player can't recover and read more data in time.

As for the HD5 turning off....hmmmmm. Yeah, at least G sensor seems to work. Also, since cargo pants are loose, and you say HD5 banging against your leg? So I think the G sensor licked in automatically

3. PollMak

PollMak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must have been a hard knock.
    I was listening to some music when my ruby HD5 sliped landed on the desk. Music continued to play with out missing a beat. I also had no cover on the HD5.