1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nw-hd5 phone upgrade

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by schrum, Aug 9, 2005.

1. schrum

schrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm new to sony's network walkmans. I would like to upgrade my headset to a better sounding one. I would like to know what you guys and gals recommend for phones. I would like to get the best sound for the price with out it costing as much as the player itself.

Thanks

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    For decent'ish sound without spending Silly ££'s I use Sony MDR-EX71SL's, I'd advise buying from Argos or somewhere though so you can take them back if you don't get on with them as some people find the "In-Ear canal" design uncomfortable.

Following some recommendations I recently tried Sennheiser MX500's but compared to my Sony EX71's they were so pi** poor they were back in Argos within 2 hours

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or try the Sony MDR-J20s - way more comfy than the EX71s, excellent over/in ear design and plenty of bass without ruining treble. Midrange is a little less open than I'd like, but acceptable overall. All for only £15!

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Buy off amazon - cheaper and free delivery

Sony EX71 £26
    Sony EX81 £26 (adds ear hooks)

5. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For non in-ear phones get the Koss Porta Pros. I used to use the EX71s, had two pairs and both broke after 6-8 months. Good bass in them and sound isolation but other than that not great. After that I decided for a different pair and went for the Porta pros, they aren't that stylish but sound very good in my opinion.

Got mine for about £30 off ebay. Seen them around for that price on normal shops too. Very good bass and excellent all round sound quality for £4 more than the Sony's, definitely go Porta unless your desperate for in ears. Don't get sound isolation either but the Porta pros go pretty loud so it never made much difference to me.

Another pair that come highly recommended by most (although never tried) are the Sennheiser Px100s.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... but avoid Sennheiser PXC250 (with noise cancelling) unless you fancy lugging a brick around with you. The bit of kit that cuts out ambient noise is stupidly, clumsily large and unnecessarily weighty IMO. And it lacks punch in the bass without this part switched on.

One more point on the Sony EX71s, you need to get 'em in your ears nice and tight, or there's practically no volume. That was my experience. Oh, and all I heard was a hard tinniness out of them. Where the bass was meant to be I've no idea ...

7. TheSoulMaster

TheSoulMaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Porta's definetley the best h'phones I've had ............. onto the second pair after the first set 'blew' up when I was djing, too much volume !!!!

Been more careful with the second set though .......... well worth the ££££££££££