1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD5: licensed to run on 1 pc?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by vtah236, Jul 25, 2005.

1. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm delurking here. I appreciate all the useful info that I've seen in this forum.

My problem:

Installed SonicStage and used my HD5 for the first time on my rickety old home PC, but have since started to favour my much faster work PC. I can't however create or edit playlists on the work PC.

I've seen hints in this forum relating to what looks like a 5-user licence, but having queried the status of my Amazon-bought HD5, I am informed by Sony that my "unit is operating normally" and is only licensed for the one PC. It appears that the earlier thread is not relevant to my HD5 (?)

Short of wiping the HD5 disc and starting again from scratch, is there a way around this?

Thanks

2. mrflabby

mrflabby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my computer at home and the one at work. I haven't had to authorize it or anything. The only limitation is that I can't transfer files from the player to a computer different from which the file originated (I'm not interested in that anyway).

3. TheBigLebowski

TheBigLebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I concur with Flabby. I stopped using my old piece of crap PC and got a new one and I just reloaded SS and plugged in my HD5 and away I went. As Flabby said the only difference as far as I know is you can't take songs off the HD5 to any PC other than the original PC the songs were loaded from. Playlists and the likes work ok. Well when I say work ok, they have always been somewhat tricky to edit...SS seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes.

4. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    BL - In your scenario where you are moving to a new PC I was advised that you could "port" your library over using the SS backup tool as below

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1686612#post1686612

Won't be a problem under SS 3.2 though (apparently) as it seems you can choose whether or not to include DRM on the tracks you upload from CD.

5. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, the suggestion is that the problem lies in my klunky old PC (which will transfer playlisits), and not with the s****y new one at work (which won't) ?

6. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    #

Amused by the censorship here with the word S -double-U - anky !