1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD5 Leather Flip Case

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Oliie_D, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Oliie_D

Oliie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I've been looking to protect my HD5, and the sony one looks like the one for me, I've found it on Amazon (Here ) but the availability is 4-6 weeks. So I guess i was wondering if anyone knows where else I can get it or have got it on Amazon and how long it took?.
    I have also noticed a Proporta case, which looks identical but costs £5 more, but this will dispatch in 24 Hours, Any ideas?

2. johnalkateb

johnalkateb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I too saw that on amazon the fact its 4-6 weeks for the sony and proporta one 24 hours. TBH there is NO difference between the 2. I went to my local hughes and they had a sony one i bought it for £9.99 so i saved on the p&p and obviously the 4-6 weeks but on the back of the case and on the box it has proporta stamped on it. The only diff with the proporta is that it doesnt have the sony logo on the front of the case under the buttons. If you really want that case go to a local hughes or sony centre if they dont have it in stock they will order from another branch and will take 2-4 days so its not too bad.

3. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered the Sony one from StoneAudio about 3 weeks ago and they still haven't got it in stock. Supposedly there are massive shortages. The PDair/proporta/sony cases all look more or less the same to me. Get the one thats in stock and save yourself some grief.

4. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Surely it was a different Sony case you bought from the one linked here?

Or is that a typo and should it read £19.99?

Cheers.

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The leather one you linked to on Amazon is made by Proporta. They are the official supplier to Sony for the HD5 ...

Here's an actual pic of one I own ...

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, this is what it looks like inside ...

7. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought the Proporta flip case at the same time as my HD5 and frankly I didn't like it very much because the player didn't seem to fit in it properly. The 2 clasps seemed too tight and made it bulge and made the whole thing fat and ugly. I sold it for about £5 more than I paid for it..........don't you just love eBay !

I have the P-dair one now and it's a much nicer affair altogether although still not as nice as the Noreve because that has a screen cover which the P-dair doesn't.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the two clasps, though tight, were rather snug - and I've got a HD5H, which is just fractionally bigger than the HD5. I'd rather have that than dropping a £200 player on the pavement! Only reason I switched to a silicon is cos I've stopped wearing things on my belt ... well, I've actually stopped wearing belts altogether (perhaps I'm putting on weight ... hmmm). The silicon case just goes easier into a smaller pocket, that's all. Speaking of which, maybe I AM pulling on the pounds - my pockets never used to be small!!

For me, this review on Amazon about sums up the case:

I treated myself to the 30G version of Sony's fantastic NW-HD5 and thought that after splashing out the cash to buy the player, I might as well go one step further & buy a decent case. This is a lovely little black leather case with white stitching detail. Underneath the leather is an aluminium shell which offers all the protection you'll ever need for the player. Two covered tabs hold the player securely within the case which flips over the front of the player with a mobile flip phone action and locks together with a surprisingly strong magnetic clasp. This case is ideal for keeping your player safe. I've had my player in the case from day one & four weeks later after non-stop daily use it still looks like it's just come out of the box. Not a scratch in sight. Theres also a handy belt clip which screws through the leather trimming into the aluminium shell providing a really secure belt attachment. More importantly, with a cute little player like this, the case does not make the player look too bulky or feel too heavy. With the player in situ the overall package is about the size of a slim wallet/purse. Definately worth twenty quid!

... and I note that since I last looked, someone else agrees ...

I agree with every word ... it's a great little case and it has weight to it, feels very solid and offers great protection for the NW-HD5, also has nice snob value as it just looks so cool! (Would also appeal to Trekkies (no...I'm not one!) as it flips open nicely just like a communicator!!!) Must mention that once you slide it in the case it ain't gonna drop out as it's gripped really tight, but there again, there's no real reason to take it out once it's in. Superb product.

9. kbp

kbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got pictures of the HD5 indside the silicone case?

10. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    After a long pursuit I finally found over the counter stock of these today.

I've now bought one and personally I think it's an excellent case.

Good padding with an aluminium insert for added ruggedness.

The clips on mine were a little too tight when I first tried to insert the player but I just took it out and gently bent the clips out very very slightly.

The leather is not the most expensive, but hey what do you expect for £19.99.

It reminds me of the leather that they use for business conference folders.

All in all very pleased.

Oh and where did I get it?

The Sony Centre in High Wycombe, but best be quick if you want one as they only have a few.

http://www.sonycentres.co.uk/dealerhome.asp?id=52___

11. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I decided to spring for a Vaja case. I definitely prefer the play-through ability (and screen protector) over the Sony flip case. Had a Vaja case for my palm and they make really quality stuff.

12. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  13. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Cool.

Would be interested to see pics of that when you get it as I was considering one myself.

What colour did you go for, I would've purchased the black backed, red fronted combo?

14. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here is a pic of the noreve black case with hd5h inside.

Attached Files:

15. whiteairzuit

whiteairzuit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can actually by the leather case from the Sony Style website, which is where I got mine, came about 5 days later by UPS. Had to change the delivery date because it was incovenient for me which was no problem for them. All in all £25 with delivery which was ok to me because I wanted to use my HD5 straight away, and so didnt want to wait for the case off Amazon.

16. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I objected to paying 25% of the cost of the case for delivery on principle.

The fact that I probably used £2.00 in petrol and parking to pick up the case anyway is neither here nor there :rolleyes:

17. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went with the solid Ruby Wine (deep maroonish red) for my silver HD5. I'll try to post pix when it arrives in a coupla weeks.

18. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For readers in Sydney, I've found some cases for the HD5/HD5H in stock at the Sony Central store in World Square (on George St, between Liverpool St and Goulburn St). They have two of the Sony/Proporta cases, the leather flip case for $50 and the white silicon skin for $25.

Andrew

19. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    There is another design fault with this case which is a little disappointing in a branded product, but easily rectified if careful.

When the front flip of the case is pressed down even slightly, such as may happen in your pocket or bag, it is enough to depress the buttons causing the player (and more importantly the backlight) to power on.

If allowed to continue this would have a devastating effect on battery life.

You can fix the problem, however.

As mentioned previously the case has aluminium inserts under the leather for ruggedness.

Open the flip and position your fingers either side where the clips make contact.

Position your thumbs in the centre and gently bend the flip lid upwards away from the buttons so that the only points of contact are with the clips at either side, leaving the flip raised slightly.

Problem solved.

20. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See here

21. dissembled

dissembled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or just use the hold function. :thumbsup:

22. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Even with the hold function on, pressing a button causes the backlight to come on, so the problem is real ;)

Andrew

23. dissembled

dissembled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then turn the backlight off. Lol.

Bah, whatever. I can't risk overly-stretching the clips on my future case so I guess I'm willing to take that risk.

I dont' see any alternate cases.
    The Vaja cases look kinda...weird.
    The original Sony case looks to offer very little protection.
    The aluminum Proporta case seems like flackjacket.
    The silicon Proporta case needs to be stretched to connect the USB cord and has no attacheable belt clip.

So I'm stuck w/ the leather Proporta case and my draining battery pretty much. :p

24. kbp

kbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered the leather flip case from www.proporta.com yesterday. Can't wait to see it :) Mostly I will be using my HD5 in my car, so the leather case is only to protect against the dashboard.

25. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Have some faith in good advice.

The only reason I carefully bent the clips very very slightly outward was because I felt it was going to grip my NW-HD5H a little too tightly.

I made the decision when I'd tried to insert it for the first time and had only managed to get 1/4 of the unit in.

When you get the case if you are happy with the tightness of the grip, there is no need to bend the clips at all.

Stopping the buttons being depressed and the backlight coming on is a completely different fix altogether.

You simply gently bend the aluminium plate in the top flap outward from the player so that the only points of contact are down the sides of the unit (where the clips are).

It really is an easy modification providing you are gentle.

26. dissembled

dissembled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gah! Then I may have to follow your advice then if they are that tight.
    Wonder if I should have ordered it elsewhere though. Ordered from Proporta two days ago and my order still isn't processed. Wonder how long more I gotta wait. :(