1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nw-HD5 in your pocket?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kwan_dk, Aug 31, 2005.

1. kwan_dk

kwan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is for those of you here, who have a NW-HD5... Is it a player that will still look fine after being carried around in your pocket, without being wrapped up in a skin or something similar? In other words, how resistant is the player's surface and screen to the scrathes and tear that the player could be subjected to whilst being in a pocket without further protection?

Judging from the various reviews online, it is a player that both feels and looks like an item that won't easily receive scrathes and marks, so I'd like to have this confirmed before I go out and buy one...

with regards

Martin

2. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant answer for the player, not being in any skin or case, but if you dont wanna buy a skin because of cost, or size, silicone ones on ebay are really cheap, and theyre decent, and dont add much size to the unit(adds about 2-3mm on each side). so yea, just a suggestion >_>

-Sulk

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't carry the HD5 without some sort of protection (which excludes its crappy felt pouch, which does more harm than good). The build quality ain't what it could be, and many on here will vouch for how easily it scratches.

4. kbp

kbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow that doesn't sound good... :eek:

5. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen scratches easily, the body scratches easily, the back dents very easily - in other words - don't carry it with out a case! And put a Proporta screen protector on the screen - even the felt case will scratch the screen!

6. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I disagree, shadow. I have not bought any cases or skins for my player and the "crappy felt pouch" works fine for me. It is not the most convenient case to use, particularly if you want to operate the buttons without taking it out of the pouch, but in terms of protection from scratches, I have not had any problems with it and it certainly does not do "more harm than good".

Martin from Denmark, the player is only moderately resistant to scratches and is susceptible to marking from contact with hard objects. However, you can carry it around in your pocket if you don't carry any hard objects with it, such as keys, coins, a mobile phone, and so on. I do this frequently and my HD5 does not have any scratches. At other times, when it is in my backpack or if I am carrying it in my pocket with other objects, I use the "crappy felt pouch".

Andrew

7. Aargh

Aargh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only carry mine around in the "crappy felt pouch" and while I have a few very small scratches on the screen it is nothing noticable. Personally I think that the felt pouch is OK as long as you remain aware that you are carrying the player. If you are the type of person who puts something into your pocket and then forgets that it is there, then you might be getting a few more problems.

8. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Shadow is correct in that the build quality is easily the worst so far in the NW-HD range.

That is reflected in the price of £199.99 RRP compared to £299.99 RRP for the NW-HD1 (although this should not be an excuse).

I'm hoping Sony have learned their lesson from this (what with the button replacement service now underway for the NW-HD5) and will return to the build quality customers expect from Sony.

9. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    What exactly do you guys do while carrying your HD5 around?! Are you stuntmen? I mean, all this talk about scratches and even dents!

I have my HD5 in my pocket all the time, and it's the only thing in the pocket - no keys or mobile or change or anything else - and it has no scratches on it whatsoever. I don't even see how it could get scratched if it's on its own in there, since a pocket is generally a soft place to be in.
    My HD5 is scratched, but certainly not from being in a bloody pocket.

My only complaint would be that keeping it in my pocket, 2 tiny specks of dust have somehow managed to get inside the screen. Noticeable but nothing major.

10. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mine's in my pocket, it's very scratched, its got a dent in the back, was covered in ink at one point, always keep keys and money in the same pocket.. But it still plays mp3s so i dont really care

11. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    That's what i mean. How can people blame the HD5's "build quality", which "is easily the worst so far in the NW-HD range", when really it's the owner's fault for not taking care of it?

If anything, a scratched, dented, coverd in ink mp3 player which still works fine sounds like a very well built player to me.

12. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    If you're going to quote me Dan at least get me in context.

The NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H build quality is easily the worst so far in the NW-HD range - FACT.

Having owned the original NW-HD1, knowing people who have an NW-HD3 and now having an NW-HD5H, I think I'm pretty well placed to make that statement.

Until I get a proper case mine won't leave the house too often so you can't group me in with the "other owners" you accuse of being careless.

13. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those small scratches that you don't notice are HUGELY irritating and distracting to me. You can especially see them under strip lighting - and it was the CRAPPY FELT POUCH that caused them!

So it depends how particular you are about things like scratches. The crappy felt pouch will MOST definitely leave fine scratches on your screen and if you get the silicon skin - be careful, it has huge gaps in back (supposedly for a belt - how naff!!) and my partner's HD5 now has horrible little scratches you can see through it.

Oh yeah and by the way, I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I kept it away from coins, mobiles, keys - basically anything, yet a mysterious dent just inexplicably appeared on the back panel.

Luckily that HD5 got stolen, I learn't my lesson and now my HD5 has a Proporta screen protector and alluminium enforced leather case - it is in mint condition this time.

14. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with Keanos here, it is by far the WORST Sony product released to date where build quality is concerned. Do yourself a favour, turn your HD5 upside down and tap lightly on the back with your finger - it wil give you a very good idea how thin the alluminium cover is.

It is more like industrial style catering foil - sneeze on it and it dents. I have read a few reports of mysterious dents here - compare that to the MZ-NH1 Hi-D Minidisc and Vaio Pocket I had before and it is especially noticble.

My flatmate inherited my MZ-NH1 - he has dropped it so many times, often takes it to work without its pouch and I can tell you that brushed metal body is as good as new.

Nothing like that can be said about the HD5...

15. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is still in excellent condition after a couple of months of living in it's little felt pouch thing. However, it lives almost permanently in my handbag & I rarely take it out of my bag or it's pouch as I have an old remote that I use with it. I have kept the original screen protector on & the screen looks fine as well.

It really does look fine for the daily use it's had. I'm not particularly careful with my stuff - I've already dropped it a couple of times & I'm sure after a few years use it will look a bit battered. One of my old MD players looked like it had been beaten up by the time it died after heavy use & I expect my HD5 to be in a similar state eventually.

16. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just a quick thought. My hd5 lives on a neck lanyard attached to the point designed for such on the case!! Most of the time it's then tucked into a shirt/breast pocket. Occasionally will have no pockets so just "dangles"! But it's light etc and no problem at all. No dents or scratches or anything - but be careful not to "dance" with it around the neck?!

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand by my original comments: the 'crappy felt pouch' did indeed do more harm than good.

I, too, am very careful with my stuff. Took all the sensible precautions I could possibly take to avoid surface damage. Why bother, when the 'crappy felt pouch' did the damage for me? The back acquired a just-noticeable scratch, the screen is scratched to buggery (fine scratches I admit, but all the same ...), and even my lovely pink Proporta case has allowed - through those 'naff' belt slits johann mentioned - some sort of weird discolouration to occur on the back of the unit. My Proporta screen protector has hidden the screen scratches, but there's no hope for the rest of it.

And I'll say it again, the pouch appears to have been the cause, cos the unit never went anywhere with out it till I got my pink silicon case.

18. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitting the nail on the head! That furry POS pouch was the worst thing ever - seems like the HD5 was designed to self-destruct...

Johann

19. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question. Sony used to put out actual pouches for their music prodcuts, but with mine, i got a kinda a case, its felt, but not a pouch. So is it really a pouch, or is a cheap felt case as mine is?

-Sulk

20. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is the cheap felt case that you have, Sulk - the one parading as a pouch :) The black one that is open at the top and a short slit on the side...

21. johnalkateb

johnalkateb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    btw i too have the proporta case and i have that wierd discolouration. But i think thats due to the silicon having a very fine kind of powdery stuff so it makes the black lighter and then where the belt loops are it is the original colour. To get rid of the discolouration jus get a tissue and damp it v v v v v slightly and then wipe the back a little dry off and then the whole unit at the back will look the original colour.

22. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    johnalkateb, that sounds like dust collecting on the open HD5 to me >_>, but I have no idea, I dont have a black HD5 to try it on, and mine is silver, so I cant really tell >_.

-Sulk

23. johnalkateb

johnalkateb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i dont think it is dust considering i put my skin on for only like half a day. i think its something to do with the silicon cause all of them when u rub them with fingers feel they got something on them when they are brand new some fine coating of some sort. Its not a problem as it doesnt affect the player and easily comes off so no worries really. i guess its jus manufacturing. ooo i jus thought what its like u know rubber gloves that doctors use and sorts its like the fine powdery stuff on the inside of the glove that absorbs the sweat but in a much lesser amount in the case thats what it feels and looks like. maybe some other people can shed some light.

24. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thing is so delicate! Breath on the screen and it will scratch, the pouch makes micro scratches on the screen but try wiping it to clean fingerprints and it makes big scratches.
    The buttons scratch too, yes, they crack and scratch.
    The body is a little better. But I dropped my HD5 the other day DOH!!, it fell off my lap when i got out of my car and fell on the road! (and it bounced and hit again then rolled a bit, etc) Damage wasn't to bad but the metal was scratched on the bottom, its not a dent, but like a little imprint, so the metal is soft. Its not too bad, i would hate to drop an ipod or something.
    Im thinking of getting that fancy expensive case but i probably wont. And I have misplaced my scratchy crappy pouch.

25. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    johnalkateb, where did you get your silicone skin for yours? Because I would think that cheap ones would do stuffs like that, but mine was cheap, and it doesnt do anything like that, and it doesnt seem like it will. So yea, is it a cheap silicone case, or one from Proporta >_>?

-Sulk

26. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really do seem to have been stupidly lucky with mine - no cracked buttons, no scratches or dents, nothing.

I've just taken it out of it's 'crappy felt pouch' to check that I haven't just missed anything & it looks like it did when I took it out of the box. It's been dropped (in it's pouch) and is carried around in my bag all day every day. The only thing that has gone wrong is that I accidently destroyed the earphones the day I got it (no great loss).

I agree, the pouch is horrible, but it seems to do the job (for me). I don't care what it looks like as it rarely comes out of my bag.

27. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wanna swap? :rotfl:

28. fantaboy00

fantaboy00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i put my hd3 and nuthin else in my pocket and use it daily, the only problem ive got is lint geting in between the lcd screen and the glass screen, this happens to my cell phones as well, to solve this i stick to nokias that u can take apart, and for the hd3 (dunno about the hd5,) theres an easy guide on how to take it apart, included in the box!