NW-HD5 Firmware Update - Artist Link, My Favourite Shuffle and Time Machine Shuffle

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by recsnmisc, Sep 8, 2005.

1. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would really like to see these new "Artist Link", "My Favourite Shuffle" and "Time Machine Shuffle’ features on future NW-HD5 firmware updates. They were announced as new options for the new NW-A3000, NW-A1000 Walkmans.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about...

"...new funtion is called Artist Link, which finds similar artists to the one you are currently listening to with one click."

"By selecting ‘My Favourite Shuffle’, the device automatically selects the most listened to 100 songs and plays them at random. The ‘Time Machine Shuffle’ function randomly selects a year and plays all of the songs from that particular year that are currently held on the device."

The "Artist Link" one is just ace, especially if you can create custom "linkage" using SonicStage or something and not just auto linking using ID3 tags.

Time to email Sony and request this. Maybe we get lucky. Who knows if this is already set for the next firmware update?! Do the same and if you are interested in this new features...

[email protected]

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    To be honest I'd just be happy if any new firmware update included access to the new ATRAC3plus bitrate options and the A-Z initial search for Artist.

Oh and if the new "Connect Player" software replacement for SonicStage is compatible that will be useful too.

3. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's no initial search for Artist??? Any workarounds to this???

4. dreamweaver

dreamweaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony should not forget HD3 in the new firmware update to . If it ever happens :lease:

5. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Time to email Sony again, the NW-HDX models shouldn't be left out of this new stuff...

6. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would also really love to see a new menu added to the HD5. My idea is this.

When listening to a track, or just when listing tracks, press the right button again for a new menu. On this menu could be options like "add this to playlist" "rate song" maybe even "delete song".

Playlisting is really the only thing on the HD5 that needs some work.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. Plus fixing the rather oddly engineered 'Repeat' function, which doesn't work as intuitively as one would expect ...

8. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go ahead and email Sony guys! They do listen to customer comments/feedback...

Even my over-the-top "Make the NW-HD5 act as an external hard drive for Sony PSP" suggestion got a reply from Sony. :D

Cheers!

9. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, you aren't wrong about the randomness of the repeat function.

10. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91

That would be perfect :thumbsup:

PS. Maybe someone will write example of an e-mail to Sony with Our requests (cause my English is so bad) and We could all e-mail them? They can't ignore so many people :lesson: What do You think?

11. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yup, I'm up for that.

12. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did any of you guys have trouble downloading the firmare update? ive tried loads ( i have AOL) both using aol browser and internet explorer but when i press the accept terms button it starts to load then stops half way and does nothing! thanks for your help, James

13. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sony's download site is arse, I'll see if I can get it and mirror it for you.

14. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  15. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, i didnt expect your reply that quick! thanks for the link im just about to try it, James

16. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Let me know how you get on :)

17. joora

joora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    regarding the connect player compitability with the HD5... there was a photo from the connect software presentation(saw it another forum) where you can see the HD5's and E series of flash players among the other devices. Does this mean that conect will support HD5 or that the event was simply held before the A series presentation so they couldn't use the pics of the new players?

18. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Everyone who uses Sonic Stage is really hoping so!

19. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Ok, I'll start the email...everyone post their comments, wishes, corrections, additions. This is a work in progress. As soon as we get this sorted out and finished, everyone is going to send a copy of it to Sony Consumer Information and Support Centre UK. [email protected]

To: Sony
    Subject: NW-HDx series Network Walkman firmware updates - owner's comments

Dear Sirs,

This message was born out of a thread posted on one of the leading consumer electronics message boards on the internet.
    In this thread, a large number of NW-HDx Network Walkman owners, discussed past and future firmware updates for their mp3 players. Wishes for future versions of the firmware were made, many doubts were exposed, and some worries and frustrations surfaced.

As Sony prepares itself for the launch of a new series of Network Walkmans (NW-A3000, NW-A1000), full of new firmware functions and software upgrades (Connect Player), many owners of previous models, namely the NW-HDx series, are expressing their concerns about their players being left out of these advances.

A lot of the NW-HDx owners are extremely frustraded about the possibility of their players - some of them only a couple months old - getting quickly outdated and ignored by Sony.(Edit: Added 2005/09/24)

Having new firmware and functionalities added to their players is something that all of the NW-HDx series owners would very much welcome. This would show that Sony really cares about their customers and customer support, and isn't just interested in getting peoples money and immediately launch a new series of players so customers feel compelled to trade their products again just to be up to date.(Edit: Added 2005/09/24)

We think these new features could be easily implemented by Sony if there really is a will to do it. All of the listed topics could easily be implemented by mere software updates. (Edit: Added 2005/09/24)

Here's a list of topics that were discussed and that owners would like to see implemented in future NW-HDx software updates.

"Artist Link" feature (announced for NW-A3000, NW-A1000)

"My Favourite Shuffle" (announced for NW-A3000, NW-A1000)

"Time Machine Shuffle" (announced for NW-A3000, NW-A1000)

"New ATRAC3plus bitrates support

"A-Z initial search for Artist"

"A-Z initial search for Album" (Edit: Added 2005/09/24 - thanks Sasso and others)

"New 'Connect Player' support"

"Ability to delete tracks through player menus without having to use SonicStage"

"Improved Playlist Support - Ability to create and/or edit playlists while on-the-go through player menus without having to use SonicStage" (Edit: Added 2005/09/16 - thanks IanPM)

Hope you can take these suggestions in consideration.
    Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

recsnmisc (NW-HD5 owner)
    KeanosMagicHat (NW-HD5 owner)
    dreamweaver (NW-HD3 owner)
    IanPM (NW-HD5 owner)
    sirlukas (NW-HD5 owner)
    james4001 (NW-HD5 owner)
    joora (NW-HD5 owner)
    Sasso (NW-HD5 owner)
    SilentLucidity (NW-HD5 owner)
    dreamweaver (NW-HD5 owner)
    Beethovenian (NW-HD1 owner)
    shadowritten (NW-HD5 owner)
    Mahonni (NW-HD5 owner)
    Sander151187 (NW-HD5 owner)
    henofdoom (NW-HD5 owner)
    lariva (NW-HD5 owner)
    (Edit: Added many names 2005/09/24 - thanks everyone)

Ok, we need more ideas, more people to subscribe the letter. My native language is not english so maybe corrections are to be made. More ideas and wishes needed...Help out. This could be a good thing.

Final Version of the email to be sent to Sony completed and available in page 4, post #51 of this thread. Go ahead and email Sony if you are interested.

20. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Thanks, for that, now it's time to wait for some corrections done by Englishmen and off we go :)

21. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, recsnmisc!

Not ignoring your PM about this - just had very little sleep (see my latest new thread for reason why!), so not up to dealing with it right now. Will look again later.

22. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This reads well, I think its important to emphasise how keen we are to see new firmware for the players we own. Especially regarding playlisting, which is an area the HDx lack.

23. dreamweaver

dreamweaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    god , why there are only 7 people ? , common friends , let's do it once

24. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah only 7...Very few people considering someone even named the mp3 section of avforums the "nw-hdx forum".

Tell everyone you know about this.Tell everyone you don't know!

25. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you should add that even though some of these features may not be applied to older models (whatever the reason), it's important that Sony shows it cares for its customers and releases updates of what's possible to be updated. In sum, that it shows that buying a Walkman today doesn't mean being left in the dust in six months.

You could add me to the list, though as a NW-HD1 owner I wouldn't expect any update.

26. SilentLucidity

SilentLucidity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is lining up and shooting all the developers/testers of SS after electric shock therapy an option in the email? ;)

27. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yay this is a good idea, but i doubt it will work...ive emailed them but they dont even reply let alone fix the problems.

Yes the most obvious additions being the "search by artist' and 'search by album' .

Where do I start.....hmmmmmm..... ok ill start with some stuff from my email.

Ill do it in dot points in no particular order....

- When the player is on and you switch on HOLD then press a button on the player the backlight turns on and the screen displays “HOLD”. Why does the backlight turn on just to display ‘hold’? Even in the dark a person can tell that HOLD is on by realising that NOTHING happens. The “HOLD” should still be displayed on the screen but the backlight should NOT come on. So if you put the player in a place that the buttons might accidentally be pressed with ‘hold’ on (and most probably in the carry pouch) the backlight will come on for no reason and waste precious power. Please deactivate the backlight when HOLD is switched on.

- The player turns itself off too quickly. The auto off feature should be adjustable. I find the player always switching off on me when I dont want it to and having to wait for it to shut down and load up again which takes up power and time.

- When playing a track and pressing pause the player eventually turns itself off. This is a problem because when the player turns off it looses information about what it was playing and what it was going to play next, this affects the shuffle feature because when it turns off and you turn it back on it resets the position and starts shuffling from that point instead of where it was originally started from. This should be changed so that the player can be left on pause indefinitely.

- When 'Unit ON' is set the player doesn't play albums properly. When an album is played and you pause on a track then turn it off then turn the player back on the album will not stop at the last track but it will loop the album and stop at the track 1 before the track that was played when the player was turned on. It should not do that, it should always stop at the end of the album regardless of what track in the album was initially selected.

- Albums, Genres and Artists should be bookmarkable in addition to just simply single songs. This is a very important and obvious addition and will be very useful since the aweful sonicstage software isn't required to make playlists.

- Pressing the Search-menu button should go first to the FIND page (as it does) then the MENU page but then pressing it again should go back to playback screen...it takes too many button presses and time to go back to the playback menu the current way.

- The order that the items in the options menu should be changable. I'm always changing the Audio Output option but it takes ages to scroll down that far all time and is annoying, most of the items above it i use not even half as often and it would be great to be able to customise the order of the items.

- The scrolling through the list of Tracks, albums, and artists is not very good. Holding down the scroll button will make it scroll by itself at an appropriate speed for a little bit but then suddenly kicks into overdrive and scrolls way too fast to be useful. The slower speed scrolling should be able to be done for as long as desired and the extremely fast scrolling should only be activated when the scroll button is double tapped and held. I am constantly missing the artist that I have been searching for, it always overshoots in both directions and takes a long time to get it on the right spot. Of course this can be helped by adding the Artist and Album search feature but proper scrolling is also required.

- The compatibility of the new Atrac3+ bitrates.

- Addition of Search by Artist and Album

I can't believe they didnt include search for artist and Album in the HD5, thats so obvious to include, Who searches for induvidual songs??? I've used it once or twice.....but im always taking ages to search for a particular album or artist. Dah sony.... :suicide:

If the new Connect player software is compatible with the HD5 (and it should be) then all of the Song rating features could be added, but I still want to be able to see the bitrate of the song on the playback screen (unlike the A3000).

In the email I wouldn't talk much about the A3000 and being "left out" because thats what they are trying to do, if they make a firmware for the HD5 then there is nothing new or good about the A3000, but then they will sell more HD5s if the news comes out that its a very good player due to a firmware upgrade, If those features that I addressed above are fixed or included then i will be so much happier with the HD5 and have no hesitation promoting it and standing up for it.

It would be the ultimate "sorry" from sony to make this firmware for giving us cracked buttons, dust under our screens, scratchy screens, crappy top fitting, CRAPPY software and bad customer support, etc...

28. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    I'm happy to add my support to this idea, although I must confess I am sceptical as to whether we will be successful due to the reasons highlighted by Sasso.

If you add all the latest "shuffle" features then apart from the form factor (and hopefully better build quality) you are reducing the number of differentiators the NW-A3000 has.

Personally I think we'd be better to come up with two lists a "must have" list for a new firmware update which needs to be kept really short and only for those functions that we feel are essential to the better operation of the device.

The second list would be a "nice to have" list and perhaps we can appeal to Sony (as Sasso says) ot grant NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H owners a few of these by way of apology for the cracking buttons, dust under the screen, scratching screen, gaps between the silver plastic top and the metal case etc etc.

My lists, therefore would be very short, both in order of preference, as follows:

Must Haves

Nice To Haves

The less we request, the more chance we have of success in my opinion.

29. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Keanos on this (and let's not forget, he had a contact inside Sony, so he'd know better than most of us what chance we stand of getting our requests granted).

However, I'm increasingly sceptical about another firmware upgrade for any of the HDx series. This is because of another comment Keanos made elsewhere about the HD5 being seen within Sony as a breakthrough model. I think what they've done is discovered how much needs to be done FOR NOW to generate a wider interest in/sales of their DAPs, and gone ahead with a completely new line of players which they can improve upon as and when commercial concerns allow.

In short, I think the HDx series is already 'dead' to Sony ...

30. joora

joora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well, i'm with the rest of ppl regarding things that should be added in the (hopeful) new firmware update. My opinion is that we should not demand the features specific for the new range of network walkmans (EXCEPT the support for connect software).

I would like to see most features already mentioned (especially the ability to delete songs(and maybe whole albums too) directly from the player). Also, it would be nice to see a song rating system, and ability to put songs with certain rating into unit.