NW-HD5 : does it play WMA's?

jabberwocky-

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Does anyone know if the sony NW-HD5 plays WMA's ?

I have read reviews where they says it doesnt..But web adverts stating it does!...?

Thanks, sorry if it has allready been asked - couldnt find an answer using the search :)

Gary.

It 'coats' them, if you will, in a 'wrapper' enabling you to play them. So in effect, you're not actually listening to a WMA file as such ...

ummm right...

So i cant just drag them onto the play and just play them? sounds like i need to encode them using some software?

Thanks for ya response btw.

You'll need to transfer them using SonicStage, Sony's own software. You'll find the transfer slow, as the software will be modifying the track for play on the HD5. But don't worry: it doesn't alter your original WMAs - just makes a copy which it modifies.

Sounds ok to me, thinking of getting a hd5, but have a few (80 odd albums) wma's.

Anyway, thats answered my question - thankyou!

I also have my music collection as wmas and ive noticed that mp3 files play best on my nw-h5 player. It seems that every time i put other file types onto it, it converts them into 64 kbps and is obviously of a poorer quality. This also leads to skipping on the tracks. I may have a faulty player i guess...
Any help would be much appreciated. :D

ive never done it before, but u shud beable to convert it into a higher bitrate, and it shud be fine id hope...
also, the new sony A3000 is supposed to have a firmware upgrade in december (the US version may come with the upgrade) that will allow it to play wma, so perhaps you'll see a HD5 upgrade too
best of luck

Anyone know if you NEED to use software with the HD5?

i.e can i just plug it in via USB, get detcted as an external storage device, then drop mp3's into it VIA windows, and it will still play them?

Or is SS etc use mandatory?

pibworth said:
Anyone know if you NEED to use software with the HD5?

i.e can i just plug it in via USB, get detcted as an external storage device, then drop mp3's into it VIA windows, and it will still play them?

Or is SS etc use mandatory?

Empatically YES unfortunately, you have to use SonicStage or possibly the Sony file manager, but Drag-n-Drop no way.

Don't we all wish........................

The HD5 doesn't play WMA's, wrapper or not.. Sonicstage converts them to atrac

L11 said:
The HD5 doesn't play WMA's, wrapper or not.. Sonicstage converts them to atrac

Are you sure? I thought that only happened on the HD1 and HD3?

My apologies:

ATRAC3™ Format
Supports unsecure [WMA or WAV] files with conversion to ATRAC3™ format.

KiNeL said:
Empatically YES unfortunately, you have to use SonicStage or possibly the Sony file manager, but Drag-n-Drop no way.

Cheers KiNeL, Swinging now towards the smaller capacity Rio Carbon Pearl - This apparently allows usage with no softare installed i.e full drag n drop. Alot less hassle for my teeny brain lol.

pibworth said:
Cheers KiNeL, Swinging now towards the smaller capacity Rio Carbon Pearl - This apparently allows usage with no softare installed i.e full drag n drop. Alot less hassle for my teeny brain lol.

Rio Carbon is supposed to be a very enjoyable unit to use. My brother-in-law has one and gets on a treat with it. Good luck!

szsiddiq1214 said:
ive never done it before, but u shud beable to convert it into a higher bitrate, and it shud be fine id hope...
Nope, every time i go into the settings on the transfer window of SS and change it to convert into ATRAC3plus or watever, it doesnt do it
64kbps everytime.
Thanks tho :)
Maybe ill take it back and wait for this new model to come out, if no one else has any suggestions.
Or get that cool looking toshiba one...

Just a quickie..

Does the conversion take place when you load them on to the SS libraray or when you transfer them to the HD5

The reason i ask is that when i try to transfer a wma onto the HD5 i get a message saying it cant find the music file. The file is definately in my G drive but in WMA format.

Does SS apply the Atrac 'Wrapper' when you load music into the library.

Hmmmmm

Greg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom