1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD5 and Gapless MP3 playback?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Castar, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I have read all of the (sometimes hostile) comments to Shadowritten's gapless campaing. But seriously I think gapless is essential for people into music, especially when listening to ALBUMS instead of TRACKS. At the end of the day, Alan Parsons spent all this time making the Dark Side of the Moon the album it is, why should I be ungrateful and listen it with gaps?! :D

I am trying to get rid of Atrac3(+), not because it's a bad format but because it's very user-unfriendly and very (Sony + record companies) -friendly.

So, the question is: given that one has a NW-HD5H can he switch to mp3 and have gapless? I was looking for some information (http://www.pretentiousname.com/mp3players/ ) on this and apparently lame can encode tracks gaplessly given that the reproducing player supports it. So I am wondering if anyone has encoded a cd gaplessly with lame and tried to play it in the NW-HD5.

I would try it myself but I'm currently in Japan and my cds are scattered in the UK and Greece... Also, because of a new laptop I cannot copy my tracks from the DAP to the laptop... :suicide: No time to go shopping until the weekend, so if someone knows it would help ... :thumbsup:

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Unfortunately, the best way to keep to gapless, is to keep Atrac.

Some software can nearly manage it with MP3, but the gapless issue with MP3 is more to do with the format, rather than the hardware/software devices you use.

3. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that the mp3 is limited in gapless playback, but I read that the LAME team found a way to make it gapless in software/players that are aware of lame's enhancement. I am just interested to see if NW-HD5 is aware of this.

4. junglebass

junglebass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i highly doubt it, but if want gapless mp3 then just rip the album into one big track, then it will be gapless

5. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I should imagine the LAME system involves flagging the exact end of the track with some sort of notifier. I doubt may mp3 players can deal with this.

I have noticed that some MP3s are better than others. It may be worth conducting your own tests with WinLAME to see if can help.