Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

NW-HD3: which format is best?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by ratiopharm, Feb 4, 2005.

1. ratiopharm

ratiopharm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I think I´m going to upload my MP3 in the Atrac format, not only because of the longer battery life but also because sound settings will only work with ATRAC....

Which format and bitrate is best? ATRAC3plus seems to bad at 64kbit and to large (about 1,4x larger than MP3) for me...
    What about ATRAC3 (without plus) at 132kbit or will I miss the "plus"? What differnece does the "plus" make anyway??

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,429
    I've tried MP3 64 - 320 kps with & without VBR encoding. I've tried Apples Lossless (4 Ipod) but since trying Atrac I can honestly say it is much better. I feel only Atrac 132kps or Atrac 3plus 256 is worth using. It just sounds that little bit more clearer and more subtle. I've heard insrumental beats in the background I never heard with MP3 bfore. Atrac 3plus 256 is better than Atrac 132 but if space is at a premium then Atrac 132 is fine. I feel that the other encoding choices 4 Atrac / Atrac 3pus aren't worthwhile.

This is just my opinion. Try ripping 3 songs to 3,4,5 different formats & settings & see which U personally like best.

As for the "plus" I feel the sound is slightly more refined than Atrac. Goto Sony website 4 detailed explanation...

3. ratiopharm

ratiopharm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did this but I´m still doomed to use the supplied (rubbish) headphones :( so there are no differences ;)
    Guess I will have to wait with encoding my collection till I decided which headphones to buy....

By the way, is it true that you can not encode your MP3s into ATRAC while transfering the files with Sonicstage 2.3? I only have the option to leave it in MP3 or the minimal ATRAC option at 48kps for transfer.

4. neveywong

neveywong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I use sonic stage 2.3 and you can change the kbps, go to tools -> options -> transfer mode -> set transfer mode.

5. ratiopharm

ratiopharm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can also change the kbps there, but it is written before that in standard mode sonicstage will transfer the data in its original format and only if this is not possible, it will convert it into ATRAC (and for this case I can set the kbps rate)....

the other mode is the so-called minimum bitrate mode (converts everything into 48kbit ATRAC3plus)

Those are the only two options as far as my sonicstage is concerned ;)

6. Stahlhart!

Stahlhart!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, it's written "in standard mode" sonic stage will use the 48kbit format but when you choose a custom bitrate and not the standard mode it automatically transfers it with the right bitrate. I have my music in Atracplus 256k and it's amazing!

I you're still looking for the right headphones than watch out the sony mdr-ex71!
    They sound much better than the original do and they block the noise surrounding you!

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,429
    Try sennheiser MX series of headphones. Cheap (relatively) but great sound esp 4 price :)

8. speedfreak

speedfreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i use mp3 encoded at 320kb using lame. I was using atrac3+ 256 but mp3 at 320 is better in my opinion. it also records at a higher amplitue and just sounds cleaner. to be honest you don't really want to be using the sound presets anyhow, but you can use the digital equaliser with mp3s.

9. miltie

miltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could you tell me what you mean by this? i was going to get the hd3, but i'd like to know what you mean by this.

also,,,is it possible to do a simple drag and drop of my mp3 folders through sonic stage?

10. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound setting such as V-SUR, Sound EQ, doesn't work on mp3 files. It ONLY works on ATRAC3 files.

It's not possible to do Drag and Drop, all the songs must be transferred using SonicStage.

11. miltie

miltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so i have to listen to the music "flat".

can i drag/drop WITHIN the sonic stage app, ie, does it offer a windows explorer type interface that will allow me to transfer my folders undisturbed? or will i have to "re-playlist" all the mp3's once again.

thanks

12. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, u can't. All songs must be transferred via SonicStage. If u use drag n drop method to introduce songs in HD3, they r not playable by the player.

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    With MP3 you can have basic treble and bass enhancement should you wish.

With Atrac you can make use of the customisable 6 Band EQ.

Thats the difference in sound setting options.

14. miltie

miltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Have All My Music In Mp3/128....this Is Fine For Me, Especially On The Go.

What Is The Atrac Equivalent Of A 128 Bitrate Mp3 In Terms Of Quality,,,,and What Would Be The Resulting File Size?

I'm Just Curious Too, How A Compressed File(atrac) Of A Compressed File(mp3) Can Be Better.

15. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Atracplus64 is probably as good as MP3 @ 128 and is a smaller size. Files ripped at that I believe you can get 10,000 songs onto a 20Gb HD1/3. Effectively half the size therefore and far less battery intensive than MP3 playback.

Clean files ripped at Atracplus256 are superb, very little that's better tbh and you retain usage of EQ if you like.

No one is saying a conversion of a compressed format to another compressed one is better are they ?

16. LFC

LFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It depends on how you use your player, I found through a pair or sony in ear phones I could not tell the diferrence between 132 and 256 but you can probably do so playing back through your computer or Hi-fi. It leave you pleanty of space and good battery life as well. The only issue is the atrac copy protection.

17. miltie

miltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

no,,but maybe just an assumption on my part. i just assumed some people were going from mp3 to atrac(like me,,,everything is mp3 unless i want to start over). i assumed sony bragging, so i was maybe reading into their hype for atrac.

i take it, then you have ripped atrac64 from a direct source. ever hear an atrac 64 converted from an mp3???

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Atracplus64 ripped is OK as is MP3 128, though slight edge to the Atrac at this level for me. Personally I rip MP3 at 192, whatever takes your fancy really.

You can convert MP3 to Atrac if you have a HD1 unmodified. I have done MP3 192 to Atracplus256. It's conversion but upstreamed. Technically any conversion beween compressed files is only ever going to deteriorate but have found the conversion quite acceptable in practice. It's not the most efficient use of space I guess.

Then it all depends on the quality of cans that you're using as well and general environment that you listen in. Horses for courses. :)

19. miltie

miltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about the hd3,,,,will it convert ok? it is what i'm interested in.

as for cans,,,i noticed that subject being banddied about here :):) got a fantastic pair of on the go sennheisers(px100 for $40 USD) AWESOME. i think i'm going to get the 497 pros. i can get those for $50.

20. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    HD3 is native MP3 anwway and so you won't have to convert. Sonic stage would do the converting not the hardware.