1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NW-HD3 Vs iPod - Help me out.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Browboy, Jan 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Browboy

Browboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy

The time has come to replace my faithful old Sony netMD. After trawling the web for info I've narrowed it down to the Sony NW HD3 and the 20Gb iPod.

There are some great points made for both on this site and many others and I'm sure I'll be happy with whichever one I decide to buy but I thought I'd ask you guys for your points of view. The differences in battery life, software and compatibility with mp3/aac/wma/atrac are well covered on this forum. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used both and can point out any notable differences in using these players. I'd hate to go for one and find out the other has a nice little feature I wish I' known about. The small differences are sometimes the ones which swing these decisions.

I'd also like to hear what lesser known feature users of either player love on their chosen player.

Thanks for your help guys.

2. Stahlhart!

Stahlhart!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you want a player everybody has and everybody's talkin about? Or do you want a player that's small, light, looks nice and is technically high-end?

I got the nw-hd1, which I "love"! And I would choose sony again in this "battle"!

But hey, do what our wallet and you're stomach sais...

3. JKPLATT

JKPLATT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, got the hd3 at xmas, love it, very easy to transfer my 300 cd collection and still 70% space available, battery life, charging etc great, my only complaint is even at max volume i find this too low, however i,ve never heard an ipod but have been assured there both set low max volume output for health and safety regs??
    am considering purchasing an inline headphone booster from expansys in m/cr

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hardware... the NW-HD3 has an edge. It's smaller (although not THAT much when you line up the 20Gb iPod & HD3 side by side), batteries go for WAY longer, has support for display remote and IMO looks better.

iPod has the definitive edge in usability of the main unit, as well as a marked superiority in terms of software. iTunes also has a few other powerful niceties once you get past the simplistic interface. Sonicstage pretty much wears it's features on it's sleeve. It's easy to use for the basic features and it is a breeze to load your player, but what you do beyond it becomes very limiting. Added to that, if you're like me have a music library far larger than any iPod or Sony out now, then Sonicstage becomes cumbersome.

The big difference is that I find myself listening to music in a very linear, inflexible manner on the HD3 because the navigation is based around the same sort of thought as an MP3 CD player. iPod with the click wheel makes music access a much more immediate experience. The software integration also plays a big part in being able to address and listen to a large library in the most flexible way on the iPod.

On the HD3, the RM-MC40ELK remote did actually give the it a bit more of an edge, and in fact did make navigation easier for me despite the very small / limited display of the NW-HD3. But the iPod still rules in this respect.

The other difference is sound. The 'flat EQ' sound is actually quite similar and with a regular pair of earphones, there's really not much in it. In addition to the HD3, I'm using a 3G iPod at the moment and have not heard the 4G iPod on which I'm told some sound issues have been solved. The truth is that the 3G iPod EQ does not work well if you like your bass. It tends to distort the low ends when you crank up the bass. With MP3's the HD3 has a limited EQ mode, which I think is quite cynical but is actually effective for most. It's a 2-band parametric EQ. But it does boost the lows quite nicely whereas the iPod does not. The iPod difference is that it can be easily 'uncrippled' to deliver the full 30mw per channel. This isn't just about volume but is also about being able to use headphones which the NW-HD3 couldn't power properly. There's a lot of good headphones out there and not all of them are efficient enough to work really nicely with the HD3.

Other deciding factors? Well if you're a remote-needing, commuting type of guy and need a display remote because you don't think you'll be fishing the main unit out of your pocket very often, then the HD3 obviously wins over the iPod. But in that case, the remote-only iAudio M3 (costing about the same as the HD3 without remote) is big competition to the HD3 because the remote display is so much superior, and it comes with a remote since you need it to work the M3.

If you have to reduce the choice down to one thing, I think it comes down to battery power in the main. If it's paramount, pick the HD3.

5. Browboy

Browboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your help guys. It's a great help to hear from guys who use these things day in day out as opposed to lazy mag reviewers who simply regurgitate company press releases.

I'll let you know what I go for.

6. Spiderben

Spiderben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. This low volume is indeed due to european health standards. The Japanese player does not have this shortcoming. However, you can re-adjust your device. See the solution given on an other thread of this forum: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184051
    Good luck with it! ;)

7. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    sorry to change the topic slightly but i am also looking at the HD3, IPod and av320, on the ipod if you buy it brand new and the the battery properly dies- what happens then, will the place you bought it from change the ipod/replace the battery?

and also if i was to buy one second hand, do the ipods have lifetime warrenty? so would this mean i can take it and get a new battery

help i am very confused
    p.s does any one have a archos player as i would like to know about them

thanks

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with all Apple products, the warranty is with Apple. If your iPod battery dies within warranty (1 year as standard - or 3 years if you opt to buy the Applecare Protection Plan for £59), or if any other component fails, just logon to the Apple Support website and fill in the Service Request form - Apple sends a pre-paid box for you to send your iPod back, and you get a repaired or replaced iPod back by return, at no cost. Incidentally, if a minor component such as earbuds or remote breaks within the warranty Apple just sends you them without question, on next-day delivery. Apple has unbeatable service.

If the battery dies out of warranty, you can either get Apple to replace it (around £60), or you can but a third-party battery (£35) and replace it yourself.

Whatever, iPods have had a bad press from rumour-mongering pundits on that score, mirrored occasionally on these forums, which has given rise to the wrong idea about iPod batteries. iPods use Li-Ion batteries — just like many other players — which happen to die no more regularly than other players' batteries. You shouldn't let the battery life issue sway your decision.

Don't forget also that the third-party accessory market for iPods is huge, which is a massive advantage over all other players.

9. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    thanks for the reply

10. aljanomac

aljanomac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 20Gb iPod - I admit it looked the part but lacked a certain something (apart from an utter crap batter life) - I managed to flog it to a mate at work and bought myself the NW-HD3. The difference between the two? - iPod would never have even taken of if Sony had the HD1/HD3 out a couple of years ago. The days of the iPod are numbered.

11. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that if Sony had anything to compare with old iPods the iPods wouldn't have taken off the way is has. However, Sony (and no-one else) had absolutely nothing to compare with the iPod three years ago.

But it's not fair to compare your old iPod with a new Sony. In the interim, Apple's moved on too, battery life is now 15 hours on the new model.

And right from the first model of iPod, Apple has repaired your iPod free under warranty if the battery life falls below 50% of original. Does anyone know if the other manufacturers match that?

12. Lynds777

Lynds777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very pleased with my hd3. My only complaint was the volume and now I have that fixed :D. It's very light, very gorg, huge capacity for music and long battery life. I'm now pleased my mp3 cd player bit the dust when it did.

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I've got the HD1 & RM-MC40ELK Remote and a 40Gb Ipod.

The Sony is tiny, lighter, better built, battery life to die for and is frankly a drop dead gorgeous bit of kit. You get a host of sound options, 6-band graphic equaliser. A battery that is user replaceable and it is rock solid reliable. Add on that remote and it surpasses the ipod in 3rd gear.

The ipod does have the better user interface, but this is initial useability only. Day to day life it is neither here or there. Dodgy battery and they are also not the most reliable of players

The Sony also gives you the option of either Atracplus or MP3 encoding. The HD3 handles both natively straight out the box.

Come on in ipod, time is up...you've had your day. Sony are about to railroad this market. :hiya:

14. mikeaus

mikeaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm looking at picking up on of these sony player to replace my netmd. I love the look of these player compared with the ipods, its great sony has finally stepped up to the mark and released some serious comp for apple. I'm a loyalist to sony products for the build quality and apperance but i really feel like they have been drip feeding their custormers with netmd then HiMD and finally a serious 20GB player years behind the rest.
    Couple of questions for owners

1. Can you set playlists on the sony like the ipods, or do you need to have several copies of each song on the player in the different "playlists/albums"?

2. What is the line out function like? I want to connect it to my amp at home? How does it sound in this application?

3. Will this player be able to have software updates loaded onto it as the menu systems etc are improved????

Thanks

15. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the HD1 and my girlfriend has an ipod mini... And I emplore you: get the ipod... Unless exceptionally long battery life is an absolute must - and even then reconsider.

In terms of the hardware the HD1 is certainly competative - it excels in battery life and is visibly smaller than an ipod mini yet still has 20gigs of space... However...

The interface of the ipod and itunes is light years beyond that of the HD1 and sonicstage... Having used both I can tell you the HD1 is truly a pain when compared to the ease of use of an ipod.

The nail in the coffin however is the supporting software (sonicstage)... It cannot reliably convert mp3s (less of a problem if you're going to be using an upgraded HD1/HD3)... and can only transfer files to the HD1/3 from one computer only - a reformat of the player is required to transfer songs to it from another computer.

16. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NOt true, I transfer from both my work computer and my home computer with out any reformating of the player what-so-ever.

17. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry... allow me to clarify... because connect.com registration is 'not available' in my area it is indeed the case -- I am unable to 'authorize' the device. (Otherwise they say I would be able to use it as many as 5 registered computers).

18. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u need to ring sony support and ask them when it wil be available or what the problem is, i have no problem in ireland registering and another guy here has had no problem reging in the uk, try the usa version of sonicstage, if that doesnt work try the european version of it.

19. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also transfer files from several computers and have 2 hd1s and can swap even purchased music from connect between them freely.

20. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thats good news, i was under the impression from previous posts that the nw-hd1/3 will only sync with one computer? I thought you have to reformat it to make it sync with another computer?

Can someone please detail exactly what you need to do to make in sync with more than one computer? Cheers.

21. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to "Authorize" your hd3 with the first computer you use to transfer tracks from.. its very easy you just go to the properties for the hd and you will see a button called "Authorize", once you do than you may use it with up to 5 computers.

22. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... when I go click register (through sonicstage's web window) the next page loads and tells me registration is unavailable in my region (canada).... I don't even get to a form to get the chance to 'fake' a US address... however since I originally posted I have installed ss3... and it seems I am now able to register and authorize the device :) - I even got an email with a connect cash code worth 45 tracks :) ... so I guess that point is moot now.

... I still think itunes/ipod has by far the better interface though... and is by far less draconian on the restrictions on what you can do with it.

feature wise on the hd1.... one thing I wish the hd1 had was the ability to go to the previous track when on shuffle mode (ala winamp, and I think ipod too).

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I think the hd1 technologically is a fantastic player (re: battery life, small size, large capacity)... Its just those crucial little things that I think bring it down and ultimately make the ipod a better buy

EDIT2: I've been doing some more lurking in the forums... seems that ss3 hasn't solved the authorization problem for everyone... so if you're not in the states or canada... caveat emptor

23. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have SS3 but it won't register cos im in the UK. I want 45 free music downloads!!!!

24. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha... your reply shows up as I complete my 'edit2'... it was one of your posts that led me to make that edit... classic :)

25. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Lol scary!

26. Ryanmixu

Ryanmixu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i had an ipod unfortunatly it was faulty i found apple extremly unhelpful and was also surprised to find that u have one fone call to the helpline for free and then it becomes chargable they were willing to try to repair it but this meant being without the unit for a two week period after spending nearly £300 less thatn a month earlier needless to say this was not the response i was looking for.....after a long argument on the telephone to apple and with the store at which i bought my ipod i finally managed to get a replacement......as u can imagine i wasn't to happy with apple at the time and so out on a limb i opted for the hd3 as a replacement....i must say i was pleasently surprised only prob with it at first was the sound level which was solved by un-capping. i found the software supplied with the sony to be relativly simple to use and tho not as accessable as itunes it has worked fine for me never had any trouble with it crashing as have heard been reported.....having already spent nearly £100 on i tunes in the first couple of week i decided to by an ipod shuffel which pretty much does what it says on the tin........to be honest i was happy with my ipod although i was dissappointed by the battery life which for myslef is quite important it brought a bit of bad luck on my part to introduce me to the hd3 and i must say i'm glad now....people talk about the whole package with the ipod and the hd3 but on the vast majority of occasions they are talking about hardware and software i myself believe that it is truly the "full package" that matters i however inculde customer service in this i found apples customer service unhelpful and unsatisfactory.....and during past dealings with sony i found the customer service to be second to none. maybe this is one lesson that apple have to address just though i would give people an idea of the players support and non tech support at that somthing which apple seem to be ignoring

27. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive used my hd3 for 16hrs now without a charge and its only at half charge.

28. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree, and it's hard to address, really. Apple's warranty is actually for a year from purchase, and operates worldwide, with 90 days free telephone support, not just one call, so it's unusual that Apple told you this. As you bought it less than a month before I simply don't know what they were talking about.

I'd always advise anyone with iPod problems to go straight to the support website, where you can log problems directly and request service. It misses out the helpline and speeds things up. I've heard that iPods are usually returned by return of post this way.

29. lammy

lammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    both as gud as each other!! i prefer the hd3. but i like the ipod flywheel!!!

30. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i prefer the hd3 but its really a matter of opinion both machines are great.